GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Jan 29, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #8,341 of 8,833
So I tried an experiment and limited my incoming bitrate from Audirvana to the R26 from 24 bit to 16bit. Honestly I couldn't hear any difference
I think for 99% of people on 99% of systems the results would be the same. People like to con themselves that they can hear a difference but none would ever pass a blind test. When I started with Qobuz I thought great loads of hires files, I soon realised that in many cases (not all) the hires files sounded worse than the CD quality. Ultimately the quality is not determined by the resolution or bit depth (once at CD level) but more how good the production and mastering is regardless of resolution.

Jan 29, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #8,343 of 8,833
Hello guys. I am looking for the original USB cable that comes with the R26. I bought a used R26 from a seller who did not have the USB cable. If anyone has one that they are willing to sell please let me know. Please PM me

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #8,345 of 8,833
I personally could not hear a difference when limiting my incoming digital signal from Audirvana to 16 bits
It may or may not be much of an audible difference but your dac is performing better.
The r26 can only use 15.7bits. Bits beyond that are just thrown away which has been shown to generate distortion.

Ultimately the quality is not determined by the resolution or bit depth
This is not entirely true
Using correct number of output bits improves quality because then you don't get distortion due to either truncation and/or non-linearity. So using less bits gives better quality. In addition, when your output rate is high enough and you use noise-shaping, there's no loss in resolution, but there can be an increase in resolution, without loss in audio band dynamic range.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #8,346 of 8,833
Hello guys. I am looking for the original USB cable that comes with the R26. I bought a used R26 from a seller who did not have the USB cable. If anyone has one that they are willing to sell please let me know. Please PM me
I have one
It came in a red plastic package.
It’s nothing nice but send me a pm and I’ll get it in the mail to you

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #8,347 of 8,833
I think for 99% of people on 99% of systems the results would be the same. People like to con themselves that they can hear a difference but none would ever pass a blind test. When I started with Qobuz I thought great loads of hires files, I soon realised that in many cases (not all) the hires files sounded worse than the CD quality. Ultimately the quality is not determined by the resolution or bit depth (once at CD level) but more how good the production and mastering is regardless of resolution.
This is exactly my experience as well for a lot of music. I used to spend money buying hi-res files that I already had the original CD to endup that it didn't really sound better. But when a guy like Steven Wilson remasters a CD, wow, there we get a real noticeable quality upgrade. Obviously I'm a lover of those old bands that Steven Wilson loves so much, Yes, Jethro Tull... :beerchug:

Jan 31, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #8,348 of 8,833
Finally attempting a FW update for the 1st time on my R26 and I can’t get anywhere due to the USB-C not being recognized when I plug it into my PC from the R26. Tried 2 different USB- C cables with no success. Not sure what I’m missing but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #8,349 of 8,833
Sorry for a blunt question, turned completely off the unit at the back?
Try the Balena Fletcher Method on page 1.

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #8,350 of 8,833
Sorry for a blunt question, turned completely off the unit at the back?
Try the Balena Fletcher Method on page 1.

Appreciate the reply. Yes, Power switch on the back was set off prior to the start of the process and connection to PC. I used the fletcher method but unfortunately, once I reach the “select target” feature it says 0 found, despite being connected…

Jan 31, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #8,351 of 8,833
Hello,
there is 1 update input and from this there are 2 controls, one for the firmware itself and the other for the Gustardrenderer.
Obviously there is always a misunderstanding here that the device must be completely disconnected from the mains when updating.
This is wrong, the mains switch at the back remains switched on and roughly speaking it operates in standby mode.
The device logically requires power for the update.
Please also read the instructions for the Gustard updater as well as the manual.
The Gustard updater also actually works if you do it correctly.

Jan 31, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #8,352 of 8,833
Finally attempting a FW update for the 1st time on my R26 and I can’t get anywhere due to the USB-C not being recognized when I plug it into my PC from the R26. Tried 2 different USB- C cables with no success. Not sure what I’m missing but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Are you using a USB-A to USB-C cable to connect to your PC?

If I use a USB-C to USB-C cable the issue you are describing happens.

Jan 31, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #8,353 of 8,833
Are you using a USB-A to USB-C cable to connect to your PC?

If I use a USB-C to USB-C cable the issue you are describing happens.

Im using a USB-A to USB- C… in fact, one of the 2 I attempted to use was the one that came with my Gustard R26 when purchased so I’m certain I’m using the right cable.

Perhaps I’ll try what @Deleech mentioned and not flip the power switch off on the back of the unit and just try updating it on standby.

Jan 31, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #8,354 of 8,833
All is now good and FW v1.42 is sounding sensational!

Decided to just buy a brand new USB- A to USB-C cable and that did the trick. Guess the old cables I had were either too old, cheap or faulty.

Very interested in trying the Fiber upgrade in the near future.

Thanks to those who chimed in. :)

Jan 31, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #8,355 of 8,833
After installing the CH34 Driver update, or attempting to upgrade firmware for the Gustard Audalytics AH-90 ,has anyone other than me experienced:
Chinese characters on the Windows 11 login screen after switching on?

I did have problems with running the January update of the Gustard Audalytics DSD/Menu update ver. 6 (not 5). I used a new Microdrive formatted for FAT32. Unfortunately, the firmware update was unsuccessful.

Can it be that the CH34 Driver could be behind the malfunction?
After trying to update the firmware to the vers 6 Beta, and having concerns, I thought my PC might require rerunning the CH34 driver again. Since this update was not successful, I am alarmed that Chinese characters on the Windows 11 login screen after switching on has become repeatable. Furthermore, that the disturbance is showing up on the Microsoft Login page has me quite nervous and worried about data protection and system security issues.

This development is very, very unnerving.

I want to avoid at all costs being a victim of Chinese spying. No DAC or other device is worth being prey to such a dangerous development. I want to completely understand, in detail, what effort is going into making sure these matters remain error free and free from dangers. Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of these matters?

Currently, Gustard uses software supplied by another company for delivering these firmware updates. These updates are not properly translated, nor are there any written guarantees stating that these software updates are free of spyware and associated issues. It is impossible for a backdoor to be installed under such conditions.

The inferior quality of the firmware updating process is a negative for consumers. It is intimidating to non-technical consumers.
The Utility they use to provide firmware updates is poorly programmed and features a mixed up, mash up of Chinese and English characters. This isn't rocket science; it is a mistake to let such issues creep along. It shows a disregard for what buying customers think and displays a lazy attitude toward taking care of them. If you take care of them, THEY will take care of you.

Please share your experience. If any of you resolved such issues, I would very much enjoy it if you were to contact me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back