GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Dec 21, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #8,131 of 8,833
I understood the fix is to remove the clicking sound (rele switch) from PCM do DSD. But I did not tried yet, as I've installed the display firmware M2.1 and I'm afraid that it removes the clicking fix.
I’m in the same situation as you, but never had the clicking noises completely removed, despite the update, with and without the display firmware. When I contacted Gustard, they said the clicking noise will always be there when switching pcm to dsd as it’s the normal behaviour.

Dec 21, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #8,132 of 8,833
I’m in the same situation as you, but never had the clicking noises completely removed, despite the update, with and without the display firmware. When I contacted Gustard, they said the clicking noise will always be there when switching pcm to dsd as it’s the normal behaviour.
Maybe the original firmware update was to trying fix stuttering or popping sounds during sound reproduction and not really to silence the relays for PCM and DSD...:rolling_eyes:
I tried Tidal, Qobuz and Spotify (R26 is wired to the network) and had seldom issues with some glitches, but most of the time sound reproduction is quite stable and engaging!:gs1000smile: The same with FLAC files stored in a Synology NAS server and using Volumio running in a Raspberry Pi 4 to send them to R26 (either via optical or USB). Also tried Roon server app on the Synology server, using R26 as an audio renderer, with both Windows and Android clients, and the reproduction is almost flawless in any bit rate available.

Dec 21, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #8,133 of 8,833
Have you tried using the IFI streamer's USB output into the U18 then to the clock and DAC - headphone/speaker?
Then control the IFI using Neutron or USB Audio Pro player on an Andriod phone. Completely bypassing a potentially noisy PC.

I am using Mode 5 on the IFI stream, which is superior sounding to mode 1 / all-in-one mode.
Never tried that before, since I am settled with the sound from PC, and I don't have any particular area I want to improve on that. BTW, I am using an Intel notebook and add a LPS supply. The LPS quiets down the PC a lot with much darker background and much more stable imaging.

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #8,134 of 8,833
Maybe the original firmware update was to trying fix stuttering or popping sounds during sound reproduction and not really to silence the relays for PCM and DSD...:rolling_eyes:
I tried Tidal, Qobuz and Spotify (R26 is wired to the network) and had seldom issues with some glitches, but most of the time sound reproduction is quite stable and engaging!:gs1000smile: The same with FLAC files stored in a Synology NAS server and using Volumio running in a Raspberry Pi 4 to send them to R26 (either via optical or USB). Also tried Roon server app on the Synology server, using R26 as an audio renderer, with both Windows and Android clients, and the reproduction is almost flawless in any bit rate available.
There are more and more opinions about stuttering, not always correct ones. I wrote about this problem HERE, but I will write again.
The reason why playback stuttering is the decoder in the R26 streamer. Some FLAC files with high bitrate and specific compression take up 100% of the CPU and memory. The following message appears in the streamer's logs: "alsa_output: Decoder is too slow; playing silence to avoid xrun".
If the file that stops is converted to the same format but without compression, e.g. FLAC with 0 compression, it will work without any problems.
If WAV or DSD is sent to the R26 there will never be any problems with playback stopping. Therefore, there is no problem with e.g. foobar2000 or foobar2000 for Mac because they convert each format to PCM and then send it via UPnP. If BubbleUPnP Server is used, simply select "Audio decode is PCM for: All audio formats + constraints below" in the Media Renderers options. Unfortunately, DSD playback does not work properly because DSD64 files are decoded with a bad sampling frequency. In addition, information about decoding the DSD file is not displayed and the 1-bit decoder will not work.
No firmware update can fix this because the problem only concerns processor performance. I'm sorry but a more efficient streamer is needed. The R26 streamer easily plays PCM and DSD files at maximum bitrate despite LAN speed 100Mb/s, then it has a large RAM buffer reserve and low processor load. If audio files require specific decoding, stuttering may occur.

Dec 22, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #8,135 of 8,833
There are more and more opinions about stuttering, not always correct ones. I wrote about this problem HERE, but I will write again.
The reason why playback stuttering is the decoder in the R26 streamer. Some FLAC files with high bitrate and specific compression take up 100% of the CPU and memory. The following message appears in the streamer's logs: "alsa_output: Decoder is too slow; playing silence to avoid xrun".
If the file that stops is converted to the same format but without compression, e.g. FLAC with 0 compression, it will work without any problems.
If WAV or DSD is sent to the R26 there will never be any problems with playback stopping. Therefore, there is no problem with e.g. foobar2000 or foobar2000 for Mac because they convert each format to PCM and then send it via UPnP. If BubbleUPnP Server is used, simply select "Audio decode is PCM for: All audio formats + constraints below" in the Media Renderers options. Unfortunately, DSD playback does not work properly because DSD64 files are decoded with a bad sampling frequency. In addition, information about decoding the DSD file is not displayed and the 1-bit decoder will not work.
No firmware update can fix this because the problem only concerns processor performance. I'm sorry but a more efficient streamer is needed. The R26 streamer easily plays PCM and DSD files at maximum bitrate despite LAN speed 100Mb/s, then it has a large RAM buffer reserve and low processor load. If audio files require specific decoding, stuttering may occur.
Which makes Roon the ideal option. Add HQplayer for the extra sauce, whip cream, and cherry on top.

Dec 22, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #8,136 of 8,833
That's very helpful - thank you for this explanation!

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #8,137 of 8,833
Hi,

I hope everyone is enjoying their holidays! I have 3 questions (and I apologize if they've been answered previously).

1. If i want to upgrade the fuse that came with the R26 with a SR Purple fuse what type of SR Purple fuse do I need to buy?
2. How can I find out the current firmware version of the R26 on the dac itself?
3. What is the current official firmware version number for the gustarender? I see a version 1.21 on a gustard website, but also see threads referencing update v1.4.

Many thanks!

Dec 26, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #8,138 of 8,833
See 1st post, page 1.

Dec 26, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #8,140 of 8,833
From my findings if you short pin 15 to ground (pin 17 in my case) it forces the R26 to play everything as pcm. That means no dsd, although let me test to see if it will still play dsd but display as pcm. Also, I completely took out the pin 15 conductor from my I2S cable and it still registered as dsd and would not play. So from my experiment it seems that no pin 15 conductor/signal triggers dsd mode. And shorted pin 15 to ground triggers pcm mode. And probably the dsd direct mode doesn’t work, but I’ll check tonight when I get home.

I'm back to using my Audio-GD DI-20HE over the Gustard U18 I was trying out. Only to find the I2S output of the DI-20HE doesn't work for the R26. I've been searching through this thread and the DI-20HE thread to no avail...anyone have further information on how to mod an HDMI cable to accomplish this shorting, or somewhere to buy a custom HDMI cable with such a layout?

EDIT: I was able to find a piece of metal small and thin enough to stick between the pin 15 and pin 17 holes to attempt shorting pin 15. It does seem like it works in theory, as now my Gustard is showing PCM (instead of "UNLOCK") when I'm on the I2S mode, but there is no sound output. The COAX connection from my DI-20HE continues to work fine. Any thoughts? Maybe I just broke my HDMI cable instead? Or maybe I just have a bad HDMI out from my DI-20HE?

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #8,141 of 8,833
I'm back to using my Audio-GD DI-20HE over the Gustard U18 I was trying out. Only to find the I2S output of the DI-20HE doesn't work for the R26. I've been searching through this thread and the DI-20HE thread to no avail...anyone have further information on how to mod an HDMI cable to accomplish this shorting, or somewhere to buy a custom HDMI cable with such a layout?
Gustard is a device that requires DSD Detect (pin #15) to be pulled down during playing PCM files and up for playing DSD. Audio GD like most others use autodetect and their DDC do not generate such signal.

And now on the Gustard side, pin #15 is floating, giving '0' logic level on some models or '1' on others. Therefore it either plays DSD or PCM files correctly. Solution would be to modify a cable to force 0 for playing PCM. Forcing logic level 1 is more complicated, as there is no 3.3V power on the connector.

Other than that, both devices can be configured for PS Audio pinout.

Dec 26, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #8,142 of 8,833

EDIT: I was able to find a piece of metal small and thin enough to stick between the pin 15 and pin 17 holes to attempt shorting pin 15. It does seem like it works in theory, as now my Gustard is showing PCM (instead of "UNLOCK") when I'm on the I2S mode, but there is no sound output. The COAX connection from my DI-20HE continues to work fine. Any thoughts? Maybe I just broke my HDMI cable instead? Or maybe I just have a bad HDMI out from my DI-20HE?
What was your starting point.. were you stuck on DSD like Jack I guess, with sound with a DSD signal?

Unfortunately apart from Jack's experimentation he mentions above re shorting of pins to get PCM working, SAJunky's suggestions and some discussion of getting a bespoke HDMI cable made I don't recall anyone actually following through and implementing a fix (though my memory may fail me). The incompatibility put me off getting the DI-20HE, though the new DI-24HE has me interested once more. I wish you well in solving this. Maybe PM Jack for advice.

As a matter of interest how did you find it compared to the U18?

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #8,143 of 8,833
incompatibility put me off getting the DI-20HE, though the new DI-24HE has me interested once more. I wish you well in solving this.
Don't hold your breath. A new DI-24 do not send signal over pin #15 either. As long as Gustard do not support autodetect, there are incompatible.

Audio GD behaves consistently in this matter. They don't like pin #15, period. It is the only one single-ended signal, all other are differential. By connecting it, means exposing DDC power supply to ground loops. It would require a separate winding on the transformer on the DDC for this purpose to make it right.

DI-24 use a transformer with more windings than in the previous model, more regulators. Who knows, maybe it will be now easier to convince Kingwa if you contact him directly. Contact Email address is on the website.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #8,144 of 8,833
What was your starting point.. were you stuck on DSD like Jack I guess, with sound with a DSD signal?

Unfortunately apart from Jack's experimentation he mentions above re shorting of pins to get PCM working, SAJunky's suggestions and some discussion of getting a bespoke HDMI cable made I don't recall anyone actually following through and implementing a fix (though my memory may fail me). The incompatibility put me off getting the DI-20HE, though the new DI-24HE has me interested once more. I wish you well in solving this. Maybe PM Jack for advice.

As a matter of interest how did you find it compared to the U18?

Not exactly clear what my starting point was, I assumed it was stuck on DSD as the R26 displayed "UNLOCK" instead of PCM like the other inputs. I don't have any DSD material to test right now, though I could look into that. In the end, I might just give up on experimenting with I2S since the SPDIF output sounds great anyways.

The U18 is still very good IMO, clear improvement in using it vs direct into the R26. I though the U18 might have slightly better dynamics (ie. notes hit harder, especially bass notes). I only did a rough comparison when I first got the U18 a few weeks ago, so much of this is not a strict A-B comparison. I do feel like there is more realism, more depth with the DI-20HE. It's not a vast difference, but noticeable nonetheless.

Dec 29, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #8,145 of 8,833
So my Fiber Optic media converter arrived today consisting of:
10Gtek Gigabit Fiber Media Converter w/ Pair of Bidi SFP Singlemode Simplex LC Module (Kit #5)
10Gtek OS2 LC to LC Duplex Fiber Patch Cable 0.5m
TOPPING P50 LPS
USB Type A Male to 90 Degree Barrel Connector Charging Cable 5.5 x 2.5mm DC 5V 80cm
Veetop Ethernet LAN Cat 8 RJ45 Cable 0.25

Initial Impressions: Uplift in resolution, separation, blacker background, a bit more analog(?) to my system.
Verdict: For 220Eur total, yes a keeper.

Pics or did not happen:

SeMbNHr.jpg
4wweFSZ.jpg
Is the difference using this extra gear a 100% difference? When one reconnects a copper cable the same effect returns in the entending cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back