GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Dec 17, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #8,101 of 8,962
Personally I do not know why anyone would be schizophrenic enough to build playlists with constantly changing sample rate changes to where repeated clicking would even be a daily annoyance. It’s a good thing I can’t really tell the difference from high-res, 44khz is good enough for me. I think if someone is really concerned get a mscaler or use hq player to output everything upsampled at the same rate.
Easily done in Roon as well.

Dec 18, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #8,102 of 8,962
Hi @wenbinbin2010 are you connected via Coax or Opt with NOS:On? With those settings, I get no click with any track. With NOS:Off with Coax/Opt, or with LAN and any NOS setting, I get the click with 44.1 material only, not with 48. The difference when the clock is engaged with 44.1 material is very clear: soundstage widens and becomes more holographic, apparent detail increases, hazy or shimmery cues in music seem to step forward a few steps and become more prominent, bass has more snap and impact, pacing and rhythm throughout become more energetic. The difference with the clock on compared to off is greater than the R26 itself compared to the sub-$1k ESS implementations I have to compare it to.

@Jake2 has observed that there are differences even when you don't hear the delay, and I'm testing this out to see if I can spot any consistent contrasts. My C18 is at about 150 hours of settling in so likely has a way to go until it's performing at peak.

If Gustard replies to my question about this I'll update the thread, but I'm not holding my breath as communication has been a little difficult.

A,Few points .. Change the settings...
Use output 2, turn off output 1
Change Output drive strength from 32ma to 16ma
Change BW setting from 15 to 9
Once you have done that press Sleep...Thats it, disconnect your USB lead.
l can't stress enough how using a quality clock cable effects the R26. My personal favourite TFLEX 405 which l DIYed and is superior to your RG type cables.

Figured out at least one issue. Had NOS on, as that had sounded better to me before getting the external clock. With NOS off, I can tell a clear difference between internal vs external clock for the R26. For the U18, I'm not sure I can tell if it's making a major difference. Not sure if anyone else has experience with benefit of an external clock for the R26 vs U18 vs R26+U18.

Now my interest is piqued into BNC cables to best optimize an external clock. If I could DIY, I would love to explore the TFLEX 405. If I'm buying outright though, it seems that shortest cable possible is preferred. However when looking at any of the "higher end" cables like the Harmonic Tech BNC cables, the shortest length I could find to purchase was 1 meter, which seems quite long. I've been able to get by with a 1 ft/0.3 m cable so far, but could probably even get it even shorter down to 0.5 ft if needed.

Any recommendations on shortest available BNC cables? Thanks all for the help so far!

Dec 18, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #8,103 of 8,962
Edit... Sorry wrong thread...

But will give this opportunity to greet everyone a Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #8,104 of 8,962
Dec 19, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #8,106 of 8,962
Hello, sorry for strange question but, is it possible that I damaged my gustard r26? I have very limited electricity knowledge.

I accidentally running it with no ground connected for 2 days. I don't find anything wrong after immediately except that now I don't find any difference between NOS on and off. Weird that first time I bought this, there was a noticeable difference, the song played would pause briefly and continue with rather different characteristic but now there's not even a pause when I switched it mid play. Changing pcm filter still make difference and toggling NOS on will basically just continue using the last selected pcm filter.

My memory could be wrong. There might have no difference between settings from the start or my brain just making stuff up. The sound is still great. Just wondering if I will just stuck in NOS off and missing out the organic sound forever..

Dec 19, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #8,107 of 8,962
Hello, sorry for strange question but, is it possible that I damaged my gustard r26? I have very limited electricity knowledge.

I accidentally running it with no ground connected for 2 days. I don't find anything wrong after immediately except that now I don't find any difference between NOS on and off. Weird that first time I bought this, there was a noticeable difference, the song played would pause briefly and continue with rather different characteristic but now there's not even a pause when I switched it mid play. Changing pcm filter still make difference and toggling NOS on will basically just continue using the last selected pcm filter.

My memory could be wrong. There might have no difference between settings from the start or my brain just making stuff up. The sound is still great. Just wondering if I will just stuck in NOS off and missing out the organic sound forever..
I don’t think so as it would have got connected anyways with the ground of amp or of streamer via RCA or digital cable assuming you were not using optical.

Dec 19, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #8,108 of 8,962
Finally got HQPlayer working with my Pi2AES! I'm doing oversampling to 176.4/192kHz and feeding the R26 over AES/EBU. Now THIS is how to enjoy NOS mode!

To my ears, NOS mode is a little too soft and rolled off with 44.1/48 kHz material. I noticed this with my Bifrost 2/64 as well. Yes, something is gained in terms of soundstage, but too much is lost in the treble for me. It sounded a little too soft and rolled-off. At 88.2/96 kHz, NOS mode is pretty damn good with most but not all material, and for my rare few 192kHz albums, NOS mode is fantastic. Maybe I am drawing a false correlation between the quality and the higher sampling rates since anything in 192 kHz is bound to be well produced, but I never did enjoy NOS with 44.1/48kHz stuff and thought the mid or slow OS filter always sounded better. The R26 has good built-in oversampling, better than I was anticipating, but with HQPlayer, NOS mode sounds great with everything. I wish the Pi2AES could handle even higher sampling rates to see if that improves things further, but as it is I'm perfectly satisfied with what I'm hearing at 4X--a deep, spacious, natural sound with gobs of detail and no roll-off.

I really appreciate that modern DACs have a NOS option, as I remember a time not long ago when you had to either buy an OS or NOS DAC and stick with it. My R26 will be stuck in NOS mode for the foreseeable future, and the LAN streamer won't see much action from here.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #8,109 of 8,962
I don’t think so as it would have got connected anyways with the ground of amp or of streamer via RCA or digital cable assuming you were not using optical.
Yeah if only I'm not too st*pid to have none of my equipments connected to the ground! How do I realize my mistake? Well I've had become the ground for the past 2 days, getting electric shocked hundreds of times while enjoying my first r2r dac. ( I hope this stimulate my brain so I become a bit smarter )

Well, my pc and tv (connected together with the dac) is not damaged in any way so I guess my dac should be fine too? I've been searching the net for (damaged dac) and nothing comes out specifically. I guess dacs are just sturdier than I thought.

Dec 19, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #8,110 of 8,962
Yeah if only I'm not too st*pid to have none of my equipments connected to the ground! How do I realize my mistake? Well I've had become the ground for the past 2 days, getting electric shocked hundreds of times while enjoying my first r2r dac. ( I hope this stimulate my brain so I become a bit smarter )

Well, my pc and tv (connected together with the dac) is not damaged in any way so I guess my dac should be fine too? I've been searching the net for (damaged dac) and nothing comes out specifically. I guess dacs are just sturdier than I thought.
Don’t worry nothing is damaged but keep them grounded in future for safety.

Dec 19, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #8,112 of 8,962
Edited

4) After installing CT_221115, I lost the M2.1 display changes. If I reinstall the M2.1 , will that remove the ct_221115 clicking noise fix?

If you tried to reinstall M2.1 could you tell if the clicking sound fix stop working? I'm facing the same dilema, I've already de M2.1 with new diplays fonts and options, but wonder what would happen if a try an old firmware upadte like de CT_22115?!

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #8,113 of 8,962
Finally got HQPlayer working with my Pi2AES! I'm doing oversampling to 176.4/192kHz and feeding the R26 over AES/EBU. Now THIS is how to enjoy NOS mode!

To my ears, NOS mode is a little too soft and rolled off with 44.1/48 kHz material. I noticed this with my Bifrost 2/64 as well. Yes, something is gained in terms of soundstage, but too much is lost in the treble for me. It sounded a little too soft and rolled-off. At 88.2/96 kHz, NOS mode is pretty damn good with most but not all material, and for my rare few 192kHz albums, NOS mode is fantastic. Maybe I am drawing a false correlation between the quality and the higher sampling rates since anything in 192 kHz is bound to be well produced, but I never did enjoy NOS with 44.1/48kHz stuff and thought the mid or slow OS filiter always sounded better. The R26 has good built-in oversampling, better than I was anticipating, but with HQPlayer, NOS mode sounds great with everything. I wish the Pi2AES could handle even higher sampling rates to see if that improves things further, but as it is I'm perfectly satisfied with what I'm hearing at 4X--a deep, spacious, natural sound with gobs of detail and no roll-off.

I really appreciate that modern DACs have a NOS option, as I remember a time not long ago when you had to either buy an OS or NOS DAC and stick with it. My R26 will be stuck in NOS mode for the foreseeable future, and the LAN streamer won't see much action from here.
You need to be on NOS mode with HQplayer.
Otherwise you are still using the oversampling filters of the R26 undoing what HQplayer does.
The R26 LAN can play all of the high sample rates that the PiAes can’t.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #8,114 of 8,962

To my ears, NOS mode is a little too soft and rolled off with 44.1/48 kHz material. I noticed this with my Bifrost 2/64 as well. Yes, something is gained in terms of soundstage, but too much is lost in the treble for me. It sounded a little too soft and rolled-off. At 88.2/96 kHz, NOS mode is pretty damn good with most but not all material, and for my rare few 192kHz albums, NOS mode is fantastic. Maybe I am drawing a false correlation between the quality and the higher sampling rates since anything in 192 kHz is bound to be well produced, but I never did enjoy NOS with 44.1/48kHz stuff and thought the mid or slow OS filiter always sounded better. The R26 has good built-in oversampling, better than I was anticipating, but with HQPlayer, NOS mode sounds great with everything. I wish the Pi2AES could handle even higher sampling rates to see if that improves things further, but as it is I'm perfectly satisfied with what I'm hearing at 4X--a deep, spacious, natural sound with gobs of detail and no roll-off.

You can use USB out of Pi 4 for higher sampling rate but make sure LPS is used to power it as you are bypassing Pi2AES HAT

Dec 19, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #8,115 of 8,962
The issue with R26 streamer is not "clicking during sampling rate change". It is stuttering (stop - startting) during playback of HiRes files. Happens mostly at the beginning but sometimes at random points. Similar to a lack of adequate buffering, but apparently it is not that. Of those with this problem, to my knowledge no one has found a cure!
I had short breaks/pauses now and then (just like you describe) when using Audirvana on my PC to the R26 via LAN input.
However, after I started using LMS (Logitech Media Server), I have had zero issues.
My conclusion is that it's a software / digital communication problem, not something in the R26 itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back