GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Dec 16, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #8,086 of 8,833
Seems like after leaving it on over night with the GPS near my window, I do have a signal now? Both the red lights are solid now instead of blinking. I'm not entirely confident, as I can't tell the difference between internal vs external clock on either my R26 or U18. I have the GPS Clock Config app screenshot (Windows) below. Let me know if anything looks different from your setups.

When A/Bing the internal and external clock, are you able to tell an obvious difference when switching between them?

If important, my power supply is an IFI iPowerX and my BNC cables are these Eightwood RG400 cables - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZXV3PZ4

I would think I have a pretty high end setup with a Susvara paired with an iFi Pro iCan to detect even subtle changes.

1702726485190.png
A,Few points .. Change the settings...
Use output 2, turn off output 1
Change Output drive strength from 32ma to 16ma
Change BW setting from 15 to 9
Once you have done that press Sleep...Thats it, disconnect your USB lead.
l can't stress enough how using a quality clock cable effects the R26. My personal favourite TFLEX 405 which l DIYed and is superior to your RG type cables.

Dec 16, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #8,088 of 8,833
Odd, the Zen Stream was the go to streamer at the beginning of this post many moons ago but was soon eclipsed by the performance of the R26 internal Lan streamer when compared.
People seemed to prefer the R26 Lan. Has the Zen Stream been improved?
No question here, the Gustard streamer despite the varous upgrades continues to be stuttery on Hi Res files, so is simply unacceptable. The iFi unit is solid as a rock, never drops a beat, also sounds better to my ears.

Dec 16, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #8,089 of 8,833
I read that too but the only thing is I've been reading a lot of comments about how the software is very glitchy (those seem to constitute a lot of comments on amazon). Have you noticed anything about that? This is a concern of mine since I use an iphone. Here is one of the comments on Amazon:

The interface has proven quite buggy. Connection to iOS devices (Apple) has been more problematic than with Android devices.
Absolutely no software or any other problems at all. Totally reliable using either mconnect or Tidal Direct via iphone.

Dec 16, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #8,091 of 8,833
No question here, the Gustard streamer despite the varous upgrades continues to be stuttery on Hi Res files, so is simply unacceptable.
I don't understand why there is a tendency blaming DAC's for clicking during sample rate change, while it is a responsibility of a source to create clean datastream. I talk about synchronous sources like S/PDIF an I2S, as USB is different.

It is not only Gustard blamed, but other brands too, while many streamers show the same behaviour due to sharing the same open source code, still immature.

Dec 16, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #8,092 of 8,833
I owned a ZenStream prior to buying my R26 and I was glad to be rid of it. Connection issues constantly, buggy as all hell. I can't tell you if it sounded better or not. Maybe they're just inconsistent, I don't know, iFi seems to make solid gear otherwise.
This is what I am afraid of. The actual sound quality sounds like an improvement but it sounds like a nightmare in other ways. This looks like another good option at the 500 price point.

https://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Au...mzn1.fos.ac2169a1-b668-44b9-8bd0-5ec63b24bcb5

Dec 16, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #8,093 of 8,833
This is what I am afraid of. The actual sound quality sounds like an improvement but it sounds like a nightmare in other ways. This looks like another good option at the 500 price point.

https://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audio-MXN10-Network-Player/dp/B0BVWJCL5M/ref=sr_1_4?crid=33C3SJYXXLE0J&keywords=cambridge+streamer&qid=1702768453&sprefix=cambridge+streamer,aps,233&sr=8-4&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.ac2169a1-b668-44b9-8bd0-5ec63b24bcb5
That Cambridge looks like a contender. Have you looked into the WiiM Pro Plus? Gets a lot of love in the review-o-sphere but I don't know if it's any better then the Gustard.

Dec 16, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #8,095 of 8,833
I don't understand why there is a tendency blaming DAC's for clicking during sample rate change, while it is a responsibility of a source to create clean datastream. I talk about synchronous sources like S/PDIF an I2S, as USB is different.

It is not only Gustard blamed, but other brands too, while many streamers show the same behaviour due to sharing the same open source code, still immature.
The issue with R26 streamer is not "clicking during sampling rate change". It is stuttering (stop - startting) during playback of HiRes files. Happens mostly at the beginning but sometimes at random points. Similar to a lack of adequate buffering, but apparently it is not that. Of those with this problem, to my knowledge no one has found a cure!

Dec 16, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #8,096 of 8,833
The issue with R26 streamer is not "clicking during sampling rate change". It is stuttering (stop - startting) during playback of HiRes files. Happens mostly at the beginning but sometimes at random points. Similar to a lack of adequate buffering, but apparently it is not that. Of those with this problem, to my knowledge no one has found a cure!
Roon. Flawless performance, whereas Bubble and MConnect, much less so Jplay, all stuttered.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #8,097 of 8,833
Roon. Flawless performance, whereas Bubble and MConnect, much less so Jplay, all stuttered.
I tried Roon - no improvement sadly, still had the same issues, so I stick with the iFi Zen!

Dec 17, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #8,098 of 8,833
Seems like after leaving it on over night with the GPS near my window, I do have a signal now? Both the red lights are solid now instead of blinking. I'm not entirely confident, as I can't tell the difference between internal vs external clock on either my R26 or U18. I have the GPS Clock Config app screenshot (Windows) below. Let me know if anything looks different from your setups.

When A/Bing the internal and external clock, are you able to tell an obvious difference when switching between them?

If important, my power supply is an IFI iPowerX and my BNC cables are these Eightwood RG400 cables - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZXV3PZ4

I would think I have a pretty high end setup with a Susvara paired with an iFi Pro iCan to detect even subtle changes.

Hi Wen, these are the settings from earlier in the thread from a windows user (I use the Mac version) it's important to get the output drive strength levels correct. Just copy these settings. The difference between using the LB clock and the internal which is easily switched using the remote on the R26 or the fascia controls is subtle at first it takes playing a known track to start to appreciate the timing difference. It's not the same level of difference as replacing a power supply from say a switched mode to a linear power supply. I think Stellabagpuss has covered this whilst I was posting! He is soooo right about the cable used (and short length of cable) to connect the clock to the R26.

Attachments

• Leo Bodnar win config settings CSFA1.jpg
    Leo Bodnar win config settings CSFA1.jpg
    845.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #8,099 of 8,833
No question here, the Gustard streamer despite the varous upgrades continues to be stuttery on Hi Res files, so is simply unacceptable. The iFi unit is solid as a rock, never drops a beat, also sounds better to my ears.
I'm a red book fan so stick to 16/44.1, so no issues with the R26 Lan and DNLA playback using Jplay. Red book just sounds more realistic and enjoyable to me on my system. I've tried HQPlayer and high res files, to hear what all the fuss is about, but I tend to start listening for the 'sounds' and the subtle differences rather than the music itself.
I get too distracted, when I go back to good old 16/44.1 I find I can enjoy the music more.

Dec 17, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #8,100 of 8,833

Personally I do not know why anyone would be schizophrenic enough to build playlists with constantly changing sample rate changes to where repeated clicking would even be a daily annoyance. It’s a good thing I can’t really tell the difference from high-res, 44khz is good enough for me. I think if someone is really concerned get a mscaler or use hq player to output everything upsampled at the same rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back