GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Oct 20, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #7,771 of 8,940
download link pls...not still in their website

Oct 20, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #7,773 of 8,940
Hello @sajunky :

This is what I asked Gustard:

"I own the R26 DAC and have a technical question which I would be very grateful if you can answer.
If I use the I2S input on the R26, will the R26 re-clock the data coming into the I2S input please? Or does the R26 use the clock information coming in via the I2S input?"

This is the cut and paste of their very brief reply:

"In most cases, R26 will retime.
When nos is enabled, the IIS clock will be used in pcm.
Enabling dsd direct will use IIS clock in dsd."

Based on the Gustard response, I would expect the I2S input on the Gustard to sound the best when PCM NOS is enabled. My experience (in the context of my system) is different in that the AES/EBU connection sounds appreciably better than I2S. But I am probably not comparing "apples with apples" in that I have a very good AES/EBU cable but have only tried a very basic HDMI cable for the I2S connection.
I see it this way. You were asking whether R26 reclock I2S port. They misunderstood it, as their response is about converting DSD stream to the PCM or not, according to "Direct DSD" settings. It is obvious that with Direct DSD 'on' clock line is related to the 2.8MHz sampling frequency and with PCM stream (or after converting to PCM, but not before - I2S line clock). There is a conflict (highlighted) in what they say, it is why I deduct they talk about different things.

Their correct response would state whether they use PLL or other reclocking method or use a clock line directly, which is feasible as I mentioned.
This suggested to me the K2/R26 does still refer the external clock (and/or by extension the internal oscillator if Ext Clock OFF) for some of its processes/functions, even if it is still 'using' the clock signal provided by the synchronous input.
You are right. Technically with PLL reclocking method the internal clock is always in use to bring PLL working point close to the operational range, but its jitter has a limited influence on the output, as PLL use low-pass filter on a phase difference between these two clocks. This is a things that removes high frequency jitter. Whether it is fixed frequency internal oscilator, VCO or a digital synthesiser, is a different story.

Your test shows that Gustard react to the external clock settings indeed. It is a simple operation in this case where the internal clock is also 10MHz, just switching inputs. It is a main reason why Gustard use internal 10MHz clock synthesiser instead of two fixed frequency oscilators.

Question in regard whether the I2S clock line is fed to a PLL or bypassing PLL is still unresolved.

Oct 20, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #7,774 of 8,940
Thankyou @St12 for the link. Will add it on Page 1 for everyone.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #7,778 of 8,940
It’s not quite as cut and dried as that.

In theory USB can be a great way to feed a dac, it is asynchronous and allows the DAC to do the clocking thus minimising jitter, the problem is that what is often on the other end of that USB is a very noisy computer which can induce noise into the DAC. The best method is often dependent on the particular DAC and streamer/computer implementation.
Your point is exactly why I said USB is problematic for audio: it's noisy.

Oct 20, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #7,780 of 8,940
Yes - are there any release notes for 1.43? I'm reluctant to "just" update since it always feels a little like playing Russian Roulette
As it is said on the changelog:

- Added mainstream protocols:new_moon:

@amrutmhatre90
Thank you for being brave....πŸ––

Oct 20, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #7,782 of 8,940
Yes..

OK placed "proceed with caution" on page 1 since not still on their official website. And have this initial hiccup.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #7,785 of 8,940
@amrutmhatre90
If you are NOT using UPnP, then yes (or any 1.42 flavors).
BUT if you use UPnP use 1.4 instead.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back