GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Sep 22, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #7,531 of 8,833
What is your Toslink source you use to feed the R26 with good results?

About the cheapest possible, that provides this output via toslink.

1695406062052.png

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #7,532 of 8,833
What is your Toslink source you use to feed the R26 with good results?

About the cheapest possible, that provides this output via toslink.

1695406062052.png
The measurements are good but the measurements represents only the noise of the Wiim Streamer, it says nothing about the clock of the Wiim.
Hope you understand the implications of a inferior clock signal from a streamer over Toslink to a DAC?

Sep 22, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #7,533 of 8,833
Wowsers, cheers for all the info, guys. As and when I get the r26 I might see about reserving some cash for a Pink Faun I2S Bridge. Is this a decent option for i2s direct from pc? Pricey, but could be worth it...

Sep 22, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #7,534 of 8,833
Wowsers, cheers for all the info, guys. As and when I get the r26 I might see about reserving some cash for a Pink Faun I2S Bridge. Is this a decent option for i2s direct from pc? Pricey, but could be worth it...
Only if the clock of the pink faun bridge is superior to the Gustard clock. You have to search for phase noise of both clocks.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #7,535 of 8,833
Only if the clock of the pink faun bridge is superior to the Gustard clock. You have to search for phase noise of both clocks.
Yeah but I mean just from the point of view of having a decent PCIe to i2s board for ease of connection direct from PC to R26.

For A. creating an i2s connection in the 1st place and for the primary reason, and B. ensuring a clean signal from PC to DAC

Sep 22, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #7,539 of 8,833
Gotcha.
Page 1 will help that.
A wifi extender with a Lan port close to the R26 is all that’s needed.
Put it in receive only and you’re in business.
Ahh ok, so that's all that's essentially needed to get up and running then. The FMCs are for fine tuning, or requirement? Sorry, bit busy with other stuff right now, no worries if you're too busy to answer... I'll have a proper look at OP later

Sep 22, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #7,540 of 8,833
Ahh ok, so that's all that's essentially needed to get up and running then. The FMCs are for fine tuning, or requirement? Sorry, bit busy with other stuff right now, no worries if you're too busy to answer... I'll have a proper look at OP later
The FMCs while not a requirements provide complete noise isolation from your source and strip any noise off your signal. It’s an easy cheap “tweak” that is an immediate noticeable improvement. Also provides lightening protection.

Sep 22, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #7,541 of 8,833
The FMCs and the wifi extender do essentially the same thing, which is isolate the electrical noise from LAN circuit. No wire, no noise. If you want to split hairs, people can argue all day about noise introduced at the end of the chain, but that's the nature of this hobby.

Sep 22, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #7,542 of 8,833
Yeah but I mean just from the point of view of having a decent PCIe to i2s board for ease of connection direct from PC to R26.

For A. creating an i2s connection in the 1st place and for the primary reason, and B. ensuring a clean signal from PC to DAC
If the clock of pink faun is not on same level as Gustard, the I2S board makes no sense, despite the ease of connection.

I have looked up pink faun super oxco clock for you. For €1250 you get -100db @ 1KHz phase noise, which is not that great.
I cant find info about the Gustard K2 clock but my instinct tells me it is in the same bull park as pink faun.

So, if you want to get the most of the Gustard r26, then you go with the LHY SW-10 ethernet switch which has a (presumably, rumor says) better clock then Gustard K2.

With this combo, you use the Gustard in etherned mode clocked by the Switch.

You get clean ethernet and since the R26 has a 10 MHz clock input and the SW-10 a clock output, you can synchronize both devices, DAC and Switch on the same clock, which is preferable from a technical stand point.

If you dont want to spend €1500 on a audiophile switch and coax cable, then you go with the media converted or WiFi extender mod on page 1, which costs you around €200 depending on the linear power supply you use and gives you the best bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #7,543 of 8,833
I have looked up pink faun super oxco clock for you. For €1250 you get -100db @ 1KHz phase noise, which is not that great.
I cant find info about the Gustard K2 clock but my instinct tells me it is in the same ball park as pink faun.
There are no measurements of K2 phase noise, but the ordinary jitter test shows a weird (irregular) behavior, it was noted by one reviewer. So certainly it is not the best clock around. Based on these measurements most likely worse than a pair of ultra-low noise oscilators from Accusilicon, Crystek or NDK.
So, if you want to get the most of the Gustard r26, then you go with the LHY SW-10 ethernet switch which has a (presumably, rumor says) better clock then Gustard K2.

With this combo, you use the Gustard in etherned mode clocked by the Switch.

You get clean ethernet and since the R26 has a 10 MHz clock input and the SW-10 a clock output, you can synchronize both devices, DAC and Switch on the same clock, which is preferable from a technical stand point.
A clock for the SW-10 is not audio clock (for Digital to Analog Conversion). SW-10 can be even driven by a different non-synchronised 10MHz clock, without sound deterioration. This (from a technical stand point) is like adding 10MHz clock input to the hard drive, as on the PC music is sourced from the hard drive!!! The same reasoning .LOL.

Technical standpoint was mentioned, sorry, I couldn't resist.
:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back