GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Sep 21, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #7,501 of 8,892
though you could say the txs and mains wires are kept separate from the sensitive inputs and circuits
And there are many common mode chokes for each transformer.

Re: fuse, it is a standard size fuse indeed, a holder is different than a typical holder in Gustard. Strange that there is usually rating printed next on the PCB, here nothing.

Sep 21, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #7,502 of 8,892
OMG, do the problems ever stop! OK now when I go to play music via Roon to the R26, Roon is giving me a message saying Too many failures. Stopping playback”. Now, on the DAC's display it's saying, "EXT ERR" Any ideas?
I was just playing music last night and no changes have been made since then.
I spend more darn time trying to figure out how to play music than ever actually listening to it... very frustrating indeed!
Thanks for any help you can offer (again)

Attachments

• Ext.jpg
    Ext.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
Sep 21, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #7,503 of 8,892
OMG, do the problems ever stop! OK now when I go to play music via Roon to the R26, Roon is giving me a message saying Too many failures. Stopping playback”. Now, on the DAC's display it's saying, "EXT ERR" Any ideas?
I spend more darn time trying to figure out how to play music than ever actually listening to it... very frustrating indeed!
Have you tried to reboot roon and your core? Mine does this occasionaly (mac mini) and restarting it works every time.

Sep 21, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #7,504 of 8,892
Ext ERR is a simple fix - R26 is set to Ext Clock/10Mhz ON - just change it to OFF if you don't have an external clock connected. But shouldn't be affecting the Roon connection - not sure about the fix for that error sorry - but @BShaw's advice is good.

Sep 21, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #7,506 of 8,892
Ext ERR is a simple fix - R26 is set to Ext Clock/10Mhz ON - just change it to OFF if you don't have an external clock connected. But shouldn't be affecting the Roon connection - not sure about the fix for that error sorry - but @BShaw's advice is good.
Yes Jake, it was set to external clock, thanks. That's one down now just have to deal with the RUIN situation!

Sep 21, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #7,507 of 8,892
I have a Nucleus, would that mean just turning it off on the back, waiting 10 seconds then turn it back on?
Yes that should do it, I don't know how you connect to the Nucleus, but with the mini I screen share from my macbook, and just close and reopen roon, that usually does it. I hope that works for you Rock.

Sep 21, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #7,509 of 8,892
Sorry to ask the obvious, but (ahem) those are often the places I don't look - are you sure the R26 is set to "LAN"? It's so easy to switch settings by mistake on this thing.
Also, you are showing the R26 as your zone in Roon? Sometimes it takes several minutes for the Gustard to be recognized.

Sep 21, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #7,511 of 8,892
Sorry to ask the obvious, but (ahem) those are often the places I don't look - are you sure the R26 is set to "LAN"? It's so easy to switch settings by mistake on this thing.
Also, you are showing the R26 as your zone in Roon? Sometimes it takes several minutes for the Gustard to be recognized.
Ya, just like the external clock thing Jake mentioned, but I did have it set to USB (my LAN connection is down. Need time to re-flash the internal sd card to get that going again (I think/hope)

Sep 21, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #7,514 of 8,892
General question for the thread. When using HQP, do you like PCM or DSD more?
What filter combos are you favorite with R26?
I’ve been educated here on HQP! Lol
Because I’m using an old 2012 MBP and Room Correction Fir Filters, I’ve been sticking to PCM. Even with maxed out upgrades the old MBP processor just can’t handle DSD plus filters.
I upsample to 384k, and bits set to 15. For most listening I like Poly Sinc hires with LNS15 dither. My second favorite or anytime I’m listening to Blue Coast Records is closed form m and NS9 dither.
Mac mini upgrade soon so I’ll be able to get into the DSD filters with room correction.

Sep 22, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #7,515 of 8,892
Complete noob with i2s connections. The r26 will be my 1st r2r dac, but further on down the line. Is the general consensus that i2s connection is best? If so, what's the best way for connecting my pc to i2s on the dac?

Options I have on pc are: ethernet, usb 2.0+3.0+3.1, optical out and also an old asus rog gtx 1080 with hdmi and display port outs, though I'm not sure of the wiring for direct hdmi to i2s from pc to dac. If my gpu is OK to use directly, would I need a hdmi with ethernet capability or does this not matter?

Any help would be most appreciated

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back