GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Sep 7, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #7,291 of 8,835
I got home late tonight and decided to give it another go. Hooked everything back up and it’s actually working. Unfortunately the wifey is already passed out so only very quite listening till tomorrow. First impressions are it likely sounds a good bit better. I don’t really listen quietly much though to compare.

Thanks for all the help! Guess I shouldn’t have given up so easily.

Cheers

Sep 7, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #7,293 of 8,835
I got home late tonight and decided to give it another go. Hooked everything back up and it’s actually working. Unfortunately the wifey is already passed out so only very quite listening till tomorrow. First impressions are it likely sounds a good bit better. I don’t really listen quietly much though to compare.

Thanks for all the help! Guess I shouldn’t have given up so easily.

Cheers
Great to hear.
Wasn’t trying to mislead you. 10GSfp+ has thrown another odd curve ball into the data network letter soup. Some module combinations work while others don't auto negotiate the data rates.

Sep 7, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #7,294 of 8,835
Edit: Wanted to help. Saw the issue was resolved.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #7,297 of 8,835
I will report back my finding though after I get some time in. Also curious if people have experienced break in with their optical setup?
No, it was bam from the get-go, if there was any burn in of the boxes or the lan jumpers it was not noticeable compared to the initial jump in performance.

Sep 7, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #7,298 of 8,835
All aluminium construction on this case no ferrous at all, even the bolts are all stainless which is great to see.

Just give the AC and DC cables a twist, and listen............. easy to untwist if no real benefit.....
don't think there are DC cables. Have removed the IEC socket altogether, still have the fuse in circuit and think it's improved things, though used a bit of mains cable and screw in connectors which gives it a sibilant quality, shall try soldering everything and shortening the wires as much as possible.

One thing that might be useful for others is that if you're using 240 V and never likely to require 110 V then the voltage selector can be bypassed by joining the middle black and red wires on the primary side of each transformer, the redundant middle black and red wires can also be removed from the connector.
The voltage selector for 240V makes each transformer 2 x primary windings, which are 110V, operate in serial to get 220V - the way it does this is to connect the middle 2 wires. This is done on each transformer.

The benefit of this is that currently the voltage selector is live 240V and potentially 2 noisy switches are located next to the clock circuitry. With this serial mod there will no longer be current going through the switch. Though the IEC socket is of such poor quality that it should be replaced with a better one eg Furutech with fuse holder is £20 or soldered to a mains lead which is what I've done.

In my DAC the outer black wire was connected to live and outer red to neutral, thought it would be the other way round, though doesn't really matter.

https://www.circuitbread.com/tutorials/how-to-wire-a-transformer-series-versus-parallel

1694115470585.png

Sep 7, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #7,299 of 8,835
But….I’ve got the same Finisair cable with no issues?
I have the same cable as well, zero issues. Since the SFP+ does not go directly into the R26 this should work as long as the FMC is 10G. SFP+ can negotiate down to 1gb in a 10gb end to end FMC environment but 1g aka SFP can not negotiate up if the FMC supports UP TO 1g and you will have functional errors putting SFP+ module into a 1gb FMC vs UP TO 10g which if both ends are SFP+ and 10gb FMC you will not have an issue. . This is my understand and why this cable is working for me and others. I am using the widely used GTek 10G FMC x2

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #7,300 of 8,835
I have the same cable as well, zero issues. Since the SFP+ does not go directly into the R26 this should work as long as the FMC is 10G. SFP+ can negotiate down to 1gb in a 10gb end to end FMC environment but 1g aka SFP can not negotiate up if the FMC supports UP TO 1g and you will have functional errors putting SFP+ module into a 1gb FMC vs UP TO 10g which if both ends are SFP+ and 10gb FMC you will not have an issue. . This is my understand and why this cable is working for me and others. I am using the widely used GTek 10G FMC x2
Yeah that’s my understanding as well. Having the OPs one module say 100m is what threw me off. Sfp+ doesn’t go that low.

Sep 8, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #7,301 of 8,835
don't think there are DC cables. Have removed the IEC socket altogether, still have the fuse in circuit and think it's improved things, though used a bit of mains cable and screw in connectors which gives it a sibilant quality, shall try soldering everything and shortening the wires as much as possible.

One thing that might be useful for others is that if you're using 240 V and never likely to require 110 V then the voltage selector can be bypassed by joining the middle black and red wires on the primary side of each transformer, the redundant middle black and red wires can also be removed from the connector.
The voltage selector for 240V makes each transformer 2 x primary windings, which are 110V, operate in serial to get 220V - the way it does this is to connect the middle 2 wires. This is done on each transformer.

The benefit of this is that currently the voltage selector is live 240V and potentially 2 noisy switches are located next to the clock circuitry. With this serial mod there will no longer be current going through the switch. Though the IEC socket is of such poor quality that it should be replaced with a better one eg Furutech with fuse holder is £20 or soldered to a mains lead which is what I've done.

In my DAC the outer black wire was connected to live and outer red to neutral, thought it would be the other way round, though doesn't really matter.

https://www.circuitbread.com/tutorials/how-to-wire-a-transformer-series-versus-parallel

1694115470585.png
Of course you are correct concerning DC from the trannies, all the rectification is done on the main motherboard where the transformer output connectors are connected. What I meant was the output cables that go to be converted to DC........

Good recommendation on direct linking of the 115v taps bypassing the voltage switch, this should pay dividends in sound quality as well as changing the inferior IEC socket.

Sep 8, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #7,302 of 8,835
Hi all!

Not connected to the last threads. Is anyone facing issues with Roon? It worked for me without issues for months and lately I'm having a lot of disconnections and now I don't even see the DAC in Roon anymore. I know the LAN is connected (BubbleUPnP recognises the DAC and plays music without issues), so the issue seems to be related to Roon itself. Anyone here going through the same or has any idea of what's happening?

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #7,303 of 8,835
Hi all!

Not connected to the last threads. Is anyone facing issues with Roon? It worked for me without issues for months and lately I'm having a lot of disconnections and now I don't even see the DAC in Roon anymore. I know the LAN is connected (BubbleUPnP recognises the DAC and plays music without issues), so the issue seems to be related to Roon itself. Anyone here going through the same or has any idea of what's happening?

Thanks!
I know this might be one of those "duh" questions, but have you tried quitting Roon on your core and reopening it? Also restarting the core? This has worked for me when my R26 and iPhone couldn't find Roon.

Sep 8, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #7,304 of 8,835
I know this might be one of those "duh" questions, but have you tried quitting Roon on your core and reopening it? Also restarting the core? This has worked for me when my R26 and iPhone couldn't find Roon.
Thanks! No worries, I can always forget something:). Yes, I'm using Rock. Tried restarting, even reinstalling and nothing. It's detected by my phone and other devices, just the R26 fails

Sep 9, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #7,305 of 8,835
Now let's compare a little - Audio-GD R28 vs Gustard R26.
Connected with all options, including U18 & FCM mod.

IMG_1787.jpeg

IMG_1744.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back