GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Aug 10, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #7,097 of 8,833
Free alternatives: BubbleUPNP, Mconnect, Lumin…
Paid alternatives: Audirvana Studio, JPlay.

Aug 10, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #7,099 of 8,833
It works with mine, but I use an external streamer.
It should work with the internal streamer of the R26, if you run the 1v40 of its OS.
For some reason, Lumin does not see Gmediarender. It works with MPD.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #7,101 of 8,833
If you run 1v42 on the R26, Lumin won't see the renderer. I don't know why it does not see Gmediarender.
It should see MPD, the renderer of 1v40.

Aug 10, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #7,102 of 8,833
I used to use YT Music Premium with LDAC Bluetooth and it was OK but things take on another level of quality, with this BT connection, if you use BubbleuPnP or Mconnect reading local Flac or WAV files at the much higher bitrates. YT Music delivers much lower bitrates (>300Mbps) and it's very audible. Not the same level as using USB/LAN/I2s but it's impressive for a wireless connection, ensure you go to developer BT settings and set 'optimised for best audio output' rather than the default 'best effort' when using LDAC.

I still use LDAC on my outside system as described above but LAN input for the R26 with all the trimmings (FMC/LPS/switch etc)
I use LDAC with my ES100 portable dac and it sounds excellent. Drains battery quite a bit on the phone but definitely worth it. I do use YT music for (international) songs that are not available in traditional music services, so quality is not a choice in these situations, just the delivery mechanism. Chromecast & Airplay 2 seem to be worse than LDAC in that regard.

Aug 10, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #7,104 of 8,833
Random update months into owning this product in case anyone wants to share if they agree or disagree with any of this.

Using Gustard R26 Feedback (all thoughts with MID filter using headphones only) ...
NOS: Off -- 3d soundstage, great bass, enjoyable detail. This will make you believe in R2R/Multibit magic. The variation in volume of different sounds in a mix seems special when you get volume right. Key is to get volume to a dynamic volume so timbre sounds dynamic, but not so high that everything gets muddled or voice gets too big.
NOS: On -- more emotional, great decay, can sound incredible in the midrange. Probably better if you want to focus on singer in a song/midrange and not a dynamic track across wide soundstage. Detail is not as good on edges of soundstage compared to NOS Off.
Overall: Nos Off is objectively better. It's an incredible sound at least with my 660S2 headphones. I think the source is super important. I believe the filters with R2R/Multibit tech is the key to the magic. NOS On just hurts the quality of the dynamics and the depth of the sound. But NOS is great in certain moods w/ certain tracks and can be very musical/seem real.

Perhaps it depends if you're in a dynamic appreciating the full track at its near best mood (but still very easy to listen to) - NOS Off. Or if you're in a laid back/ turn frontal lobes off mood - NOS On.

Aug 11, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #7,105 of 8,833
The Tidal app on Android only plays locally on the phone. He doesn't see Gustarender. Mconnect works normally. How to make Tidal see Gustarender?

Aug 11, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #7,108 of 8,833
Aug 11, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #7,109 of 8,833
Aug 11, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #7,110 of 8,833
Random update months into owning this product in case anyone wants to share if they agree or disagree with any of this.

Using Gustard R26 Feedback (all thoughts with MID filter using headphones only) ...
NOS: Off -- 3d soundstage, great bass, enjoyable detail. This will make you believe in R2R/Multibit magic. The variation in volume of different sounds in a mix seems special when you get volume right. Key is to get volume to a dynamic volume so timbre sounds dynamic, but not so high that everything gets muddled or voice gets too big.
NOS: On -- more emotional, great decay, can sound incredible in the midrange. Probably better if you want to focus on singer in a song/midrange and not a dynamic track across wide soundstage. Detail is not as good on edges of soundstage compared to NOS Off.
Overall: Nos Off is objectively better. It's an incredible sound at least with my 660S2 headphones. I think the source is super important. I believe the filters with R2R/Multibit tech is the key to the magic. NOS On just hurts the quality of the dynamics and the depth of the sound. But NOS is great in certain moods w/ certain tracks and can be very musical/seem real.

Perhaps it depends if you're in a dynamic appreciating the full track at its near best mood (but still very easy to listen to) - NOS Off. Or if you're in a laid back/ turn frontal lobes off mood - NOS On.
firmly agree
The magic of NOS comes when using HQplayer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back