GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Aug 6, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #7,051 of 8,833
I've done this for years with power amps for the mains lead itself (UK plugs have a fuse 5A-13A to protect the lead itself) Using a solid copper bar in place of the fuse gives greater dynamics in the sound. Would be worth a try........ to change the fuse in the R26.......
Interesting Rodders... l thought about this method myself, based on the amount of fuses, as you said, in the UK we have fused plugs, but is that really nessessary, when the units themselves have fuses already.
l have never tried to remove them, but l wonder if this is similar to ditching a switched wall socket

Aug 6, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #7,052 of 8,833
I've done this for years with power amps for the mains lead itself (UK plugs have a fuse 5A-13A to protect the lead itself) Using a solid copper bar in place of the fuse gives greater dynamics in the sound. Would be worth a try........ to change the fuse in the R26.......
Hello

Can you show us a photo of what this looks like?
If there is such a thing as an Eu version, does the fuse in the R26 have to be removed or the Iec socket replaced?
Or do you have to change the Iec socket in general if you decide to do this?

In principle, you are right about the dynamics.
The good thing about such a plug is that it is probably more likely to blow than the fuse itself.

Aug 6, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #7,053 of 8,833
This is not only stupid, leading to potential damage to the unit but has no basis in this universe for being possible. A fuse is a current limiting device, not a filter, not a choke, not a traffic jam on your imaginary power highway.

You either give the device enough current at a nominal operating voltage or you damage the device and void your warranty.

Stop spreading patently bad and potentially dangerous information. This isn't remotely subjective.

Aug 6, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #7,054 of 8,833
Hello

Can you show us a photo of what this looks like?
If there is such a thing as an Eu version, does the fuse in the R26 have to be removed or the Iec socket replaced?
Or do you have to change the Iec socket in general if you decide to do this?

In principle, you are right about the dynamics.
The good thing about such a plug is that it is probably more likely to blow than the fuse itself.
Explain how your dynamics are limited by a fuse. Even better, in UK home the entire electrical runs to a mains GFCI so by your logic the whole country is having its audio devices hindered by intrusive governmental regulatory foresight. May as well rip out the whole electrical and start from scratch.

Maybe 50hz mains is an offensive odd harmonic line frequency, 60hz countries have a far superior even harmonic line noise.

Aug 6, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #7,055 of 8,833
l believe you may have slightly misunderstood, nobody is suggesting the complete removal of fuses, its asking the question, do you really need two fuses on the same feed, eg fuses in a UK plug, fuse in R26 before entering unit.
lt's not something I have done,but l understand the logic, effectively its two fuses on the same powerline, surely one and the correct value is sufficient?
After all its a good to educate us, reasons for and against

Aug 6, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #7,056 of 8,833
l believe you may have slightly misunderstood, nobody is suggesting the complete removal of fuses, its asking the question, do you really need two fuses on the same feed, eg fuses in a UK plug, fuse in R26 before entering unit.
lt's not something I have done,but l understand the logic, effectively its two fuses on the same powerline, surely one and the correct value is sufficient?
After all its a good to educate us, reasons for and against
That's like arguing the safety devices at the step-down street service or substation is also interfering with your dynamics.

One of these "manufacturers hate this one simple trick!" Will be an insurance and warranty void, the other is doing nothing and being up to code with the same result.

Fuses at no point in the engineering affect sonic or device performance. They are passive safety devices. Stick to messing about with cable composition and anti-vibration devices for solid state components if you're this hard pressed for hacks. Do not proliferate bad, unsafe, and depending where you live, illegal "hacks".

Edit: if you want to "believe" in this nonsense go patronize synergistic research, they're happy to take your money. And again, they make illegal and unsafe "floating" earth 3 prong wall receptacles which create the same conditions as a ground fault whereby your components chassis will be energized with line voltage i.e. 120v60hz or 240v50hz.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #7,057 of 8,833
Safety regulations, to which the audio makers are submitted, do compromise the SQ. I know it from a builder of LPSs whose products have to comply to all the different regulations of numerous countries, and thus are optimized for none.

But whatever might be your opinion about fuses, @m-i-c-k-e-y asked already to keep this debate out of this thread, and to discuss the topic on the appropriate thread of this forum.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #7,058 of 8,833
Safety regulations, to which the audio makers are submitted, do compromise the SQ. I know it from a builder of LPSs whose products have to comply to all the different regulations of numerous countries, and thus are optimized for none.

But whatever could be your opinion on fuses, @m-i-c-k-e-y asked already to keep this debate out of this thread, and to discuss the topic on the appropriate thread of this forum.
Good call... As OhmsClaw seems to be quoting chapter and verse on something l haven't mentioned, or even asked about. Basically a simple question... I for one haven't claimed or own any expensive fuses let alone mentioned dynamics.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #7,059 of 8,833
Do I need to ever upgrade the R26's firmware if I don't use any of its streaming features? I only have one I2S connection into the DAC and occasionally use its Bluetooth connection with LDAC codec. I have never upgraded the firmware since I purchased it and the procedures don't seem to be a walk in the park.

Aug 6, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #7,061 of 8,833
Are there any instructions anywhere on how to install the SR purple fuse into the Gustard?
Assuming that you are asking about the direction of the fuse and not the actual instructions to pull out the fuse socket and switch to the SR Purple. The socket is a standard fuse socket and you should be able to find youtube videos for that (just use a micro flat screwdriver and pull out the fuse socket using the notch in the center of the socket).

As for as the direction of the fuse is concerned, folks in the PSAudio forums have discussed this a bit and I don't think there is a firm consensus other than try it both ways. I have tried the SR purple and I think it worked best for me going L->R (when facing the socket head on) with the direction of the letters SR on the label. I returned it in favor of the Audio Magic M-1 and wasn't able to do extensive testing, but needed to do the same kind of testing on the M-1.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #7,063 of 8,833
Good call... As OhmsClaw seems to be quoting chapter and verse on something l haven't mentioned, or even asked about. Basically a simple question... I for one haven't claimed or own any expensive fuses let alone mentioned dynamics.
You literally quote replied.

Aug 7, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #7,064 of 8,833
This is not only stupid, leading to potential damage to the unit but has no basis in this universe for being possible. A fuse is a current limiting device, not a filter, not a choke, not a traffic jam on your imaginary power highway.

You either give the device enough current at a nominal operating voltage or you damage the device and void your warranty.

Stop spreading patently bad and potentially dangerous information. This isn't remotely subjective.
I am talking about the fuse fitted to UK mains leads NOT the fuse fitted to equipment which are there for very good reason. As you say the fuse is the current limiting device, that when removed, from the UK mains lead plug and replaced with a high current capable link provides better dynamics to the sound of particularly power amps or larger power supplies.

The UK is one of the only countries which have a fuse fitted in the plug itself, as an extra, it is there to protect the lead not the equipment it is connected to, amperage of the these fuses range from 3Amp to 13Amp way too high a rating for protection of the kit itself. Let's cool down a bit please.

Aug 7, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #7,065 of 8,833
This is a UK plug with a fuse in the socket. Most of it has a 13A fuse in it.

UK-Power-Cord-AC-Type-G-Plug.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back