GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Jul 12, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #6,781 of 8,832
I've observed some behaviour similar to that from the R26 with the top cover removed. A certain circuit board emits a high pitched whine and led lights on the board light up with certain combinations of EXT clock on/off in menu and an ext clock connected/not connected. From memory though it was loudest when Ext clock ON plus no ext clock connected (or when connected but no lock so clock ERR displayed). Can have a look later as lid not screwed closed so easy to lift off.
Hmm interesting I havent tried EXT Clock on with no Clock connected, will try that as well, thanks Jake

Jul 12, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #6,782 of 8,832
I've observed some behaviour similar to that from the R26 with the top cover removed. A certain circuit board emits a high pitched whine and led lights on the board light up with certain combinations of EXT clock on/off in menu and an ext clock connected/not connected. From memory though it was loudest when Ext clock ON plus no ext clock connected (or when connected but no lock so clock ERR displayed). Can have a look later as lid not screwed closed so easy to lift off.
I left the R26 with EXT clock on but no clock connected and cant hear the sound. For mine it seems to be only there when clock is turned on and plugged in. If i flip the switch off, the high pitched whine is gone even when connected

Jul 12, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #6,783 of 8,832
I left the R26 with EXT clock on but no clock connected and cant hear the sound. For mine it seems to be only there when clock is turned on and plugged in. If i flip the switch off, the high pitched whine is gone even when connected
It's possible my recollection is the wrong way round, will check.

Jul 12, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #6,785 of 8,832
My recollection was accurate - green LED beside K2 synthesiser + very high pitched but low level whine (only easily audible with lid removed) when EXT ERR displayed ie. Clock ON but not connected (cable connected but clock switched off).

Edit - silent otherwise.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #6,786 of 8,832
My recollection was accurate - green LED beside K2 synthesiser + very high pitched but low level whine (only easily audible with lid removed) when EXT ERR displayed ie. Clock ON but not connected (cable connected but clock switched off).

Edit - silent otherwise.
Try a different clock cable

Jul 13, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #6,791 of 8,832
That would be my only suggestion.
You definitely don’t want my opinion on external clocks and LHY lol.
Lol indeed. Cam I think I read here or on another thread you got one of those Teradak FMCs with OCXOs - how do you find it? Is it audibly better than the standard FMC + good PS you had before?

Jul 13, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #6,792 of 8,832
Lol indeed. Cam I think I read here or on another thread you got one of those Teradak FMCs with OCXOs - how do you find it? Is it audibly better than the standard FMC + good PS you had before?
Or this TeraDak T-S212 (SFP) Media Converter TXCO @ $158 OCXO @ $258

T-S212b-500x500.jpeg
T-S212c-500x500.jpeg
I pulled the trigger. Hadn't looked closely enough at this 212 version before to realise it had a SFP cage rather than the hard-wired SC SFP of the 211 model. Ordered it from https://kamaudio.com/ who I see have some great stuff, now including Teradak's linear PS for the latest Mac Mini M1 & M2s and a bunch of reasonably priced OCC / PC- triple C cables incl a DC cable. Dangerous for one's wallet.

Jul 13, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #6,793 of 8,832
Unfortunately firmware upgrade did not work. So in general would a high pitch noise with an external clock connected be justifiable reason for exchange, or will the the fact that it doesn't make the sound without clock be enough deniability for the store?

Jul 13, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #6,794 of 8,832
Unfortunately firmware upgrade did not work. So in general would a high pitch noise with an external clock connected be justifiable reason for exchange, or will the the fact that it doesn't make the sound without clock be enough deniability for the store?
What is the farthest distance it is audible? Is it audible when user music is playing or only in a silent room. Unfortunately I don’t think there is going to be any general rule here. Will depend on the seller and how loud it is, the louder / more obvious the sound (incl your ability to record it) the stronger your case.

Despite my glib response before re trying another cable (I have no need to as have no fault) you could try this, just in case. Cheap option to explore.

Jul 13, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #6,795 of 8,832
What is the farthest distance it is audible? Is it audible when user music is playing or only in a silent room. Unfortunately I don’t think there is going to be any general rule here. Will depend on the seller and how loud it is, the louder / more obvious the sound (incl your ability to record it) the stronger your case.

Despite my glib response before re trying another cable (I have no need to as have no fault) you could try this, just in case. Cheap option to explore.
Only audible when no music is playing at about 2 metres/6 feet. I have a recording I sent to the seller but from close up. All devices are plugged into an Audiolab DC 6 Block and I have tried different cables for both power and clock. I think you're right, in general I wont find a hard and fast rule, was maybe hoping on whether the clock being plugged in and clearly causing an issue but only to the R26 would warrant me heading down to the store and possibly arguing for exchange

Users who are viewing this thread

Back