GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
May 8, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #5,821 of 8,833
That’s interesting. I presume the latest update doesn’t affect tidal connect sq but just upnp. I will update soon and see if I can pick up any sq differences between Tidal connect and Jplay.
OK this is the first time we are getting feedback on the new 1.42 firmware, I was holding back due to the lack of DSD support but I think I prefer vanilla PCM redbook anyway.
I will try the update as the change in renderer library should in theory make a difference. Very interesting. Thanks for the feedback fullbass.
What is the fix for 24/192 about, has the stuttering stopped when changing from 16/44.1 to a higher bitrate like 24/96?

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #5,823 of 8,833
What is the fix for 24/192 about, has the stuttering stopped when changing from 16/44.1 to a higher bitrate like 24/96?
I can't say anything because I've never had this problem before

I just decided to test 1.42, because it was surprising to me that no one heard the difference, although these are two different renders

May 8, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #5,824 of 8,833
I can't say anything because I've never had this problem before

I just decided to test 1.42, because it was surprising to me that no one heard the difference, although these are two different renders
Just upgraded will try the new v1.42 R26 firmware tomorrow morning and report back.

May 8, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #5,825 of 8,833
What am I doing wrong, maybe you can help me out. Let me say that I don't use headphones all that much and mostly listen to 2-channel.

I went and purchased a single CD player so I could use it as a transport, but also as a benchmark to compare to streaming music on-line. I want the stream to match or better that of the CD player.

After a ton of listening to Tidal, Quboz and then the same tracks on a CD, the CD sounded better every time. I even found that the CD player itself, bypassing the R26 sounded just about as good as going through the R26.

I am using the R26 as the renderer via a LAN connection that is optically isolated. I've played around with all the filters on the R26 still didn’t get the streaming sound quality up to that of the CD.

Any tips

May 8, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #5,826 of 8,833
What am I doing wrong, maybe you can help me out. Let me say that I don't use headphones all that much and mostly listen to 2-channel.

I went and purchased a single CD player so I could use it as a transport, but also as a benchmark to compare to streaming music on-line. I want the stream to match or better that of the CD player.

After a ton of listening to Tidal, Quboz and then the same tracks on a CD, the CD sounded better every time. I even found that the CD player itself, bypassing the R26 sounded just about as good as going through the R26.

I am using the R26 as the renderer via a LAN connection that is optically isolated. I've played around with all the filters on the R26 still didn’t get the streaming sound quality up to that of the CD.

Any tips
What's the CD player and what digital connection and cables (specific brands/models) to the R26 are you using or have you tried? It may be you are doing nothing wrong at all as many prefer CD (or playing from local files) to streaming - it just sounds better.

May 8, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #5,827 of 8,833
@rockcity007 Beyond that there's many tips, things to try that will significantly enhance the sound of the R26, but the catch is none are free... Roon/HQP, signal grounding, external clocking, vibration damping/isolation, power cabling/power conditioning and of course the quality of digital interconnects. But best we know your full current setup first so we can make better informed comment as to obvious things to try first. Btw I got my LHY SW-8 switch largely based on a review by Srajan of 6-Moons who felt it finally achieved parity between local file playback and streaming in his system.

May 8, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #5,828 of 8,833
What's the CD player and what digital connection and cables (specific brands/models) to the R26 are you using or have you tried? It may be you are doing nothing wrong at all as many prefer CD (or playing from local files) to streaming - it just sounds better.
The CD player is an inexpensive Onkyo C-7030 with a Signal coaxial cable to DAC, then BJC XLR's from DAC to pre-amp. Using generic cat6 via optical isolation to R26 as renderer. I also bypassed the DAC with Signal RCA cables to pre-amp which almost sounds as good as so with the R26...go figure

May 8, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #5,829 of 8,833
I think the best way to use a Dac like this so far to me is to use NOS if you like that sound or use HQPlayer for upscaling. Both are super enjoyable sounds. I don't know how the filters on this thing stack up against other filters. But I know a lot of the initial reviews were based on that so it all can be enjoyable. Not sure if the filters are objectively better than other things though.

May 8, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #5,830 of 8,833
I think that nobody heard the difference, because most of the people here stream with Roon and/or HQPlayer.
The sound signature of Gmediarenderer is indeed more analog like than upmpdcli. I'm using it as a renderer with GentooPlayer for my UPNP players. But I did not upgrade to v1.42 yet, because I want to keep the DSD compatibility of the LAN input of the R26, though I use most of the time its I2S input with an external streamer + a DDC.

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #5,831 of 8,833
If you then use i2s from Neo Stream directly to R26 might it sound better then the Lan input using R26 built in streamer due to these benefits? Or would it need to go to a clock first? The Optibox cuts back on noise right? Is jitter also a concern with i2s?

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #5,832 of 8,833
You need to try it to see if it sounds better.
I stream with a GentooPlayer/Diretta setup that is very good, but the Audio-GD DI-20HE also contributes to the refinement of the sound.

BTW, HQPlayer Desktop 5 was released. Did anyone upgrade to it?

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #5,833 of 8,833
It might. Since its more sophisticated at $1,300. And for having the OptiBox.

May 8, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #5,834 of 8,833

You are not alone. One of the reason is, watermarking. It started to be added to the streamed music for tracking piracy in early 2000, it affects sound quality. Some watermarking methods are very intrusive and can be detected on the FFT plot. It was discussed on the Steve Hoffman forum, pointing the worst offenders like UMG label. In a defense hires format started to be promoted for streaming, as it is easier to hide digital ID's in 24-bits.

Try a different CD made by a small audiophile label, not market monopolies like Deutche Grammophone and generally avoid early 2000 releases. During 2010's watermarking technology has improved to the level that is not detectable anymore on the FFT plot and some labels now claim not adding, but I wouldn't be quick confirming it as a fact. If doubt, read T&C from the Amazon Music to the streaming and purchased online downloads. Watermarking is not mentioned by the name, but there is a clue in disclaimers that points to the labels as a source, in the style "we are not responsible". As a conclusion, streaming companies may add a second level of watermarking, by example it is agreed that Qobuz sounds better than Tidal.

Upsampling helps randomising watermarking distortions, one of the reason HQPlayer became popular. If you look at HQPlayer users, most (if not all of them) use streaming services. For my local samples of audiophile quality HQPlayer has no use. Not an R26 user, but also R2R technology, NOS prefered.

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #5,835 of 8,833
You need to try it to see if it sounds better.
I stream with a GentooPlayer/Diretta setup that is very good, but the Audio-GD DI-20HE also contributes to the refinement of the sound.

BTW, HQPlayer Desktop 5 was released. Did anyone upgrade to it?
Sigh...i just paid for v4 desktop last year in September... I'll wait for a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back