GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
May 3, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #5,776 of 8,833
Yes, using 4G that's understandable that using a wireless protocol will be better, this is comparable to using a wi-fi extender to separate the dirty router end from the audio clean switch end and is more beneficial than just FMC alone, using a FMC on the clean side from switch to DAC gives an improvement with less hash and noise so more resolution overall. Why not try you internal network with a wi-fi extender and then FMC? Try to get that router with all your data traffic out of the equation.....
I've tried it that way - 4g router with FMC. It was a little bit better... without FMC :)

FMCs have their own distortions because of poor internal clocks.

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #5,777 of 8,833
No covers to remove just plug the SC-SC fibre cable into the available socket, how are you powering these modules, did you get the basic plug in the wall switched PSU's with the FMC's or are you using LPS's? They should both light up like a Christmas tree when working so you know they are powered up.
They light up yes :) I use a LPS at the DAC end. But.. I figured the "B" module should go at the DAC end, so will try to swap'em then. Thx for the tip :)

May 3, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #5,778 of 8,833
They light up yes :) I use a LPS at the DAC end. But.. I figured the "B" module should go at the DAC end, so will try to swap'em then. Thx for the tip :)
I'm sooo stupid..😆 Sorry guys!! Of course I had to add the new "zone" output, in Roon, since the FW upgrade to 1.42.. 🤣
Works like a CHARM now!!
Thank you all for help and inputs!! 💖

May 3, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #5,780 of 8,833
Enjoy!! :o2smile: :thumbsup:

May 4, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #5,787 of 8,833
Ah yes another happy Fiber media convertor Convert! 🙌🏻🙌🏻
Something to note as well, as I have observed this. Power the Fiber to ETH module with a low noise dc psu, linear if cost is not a problem. Alternatively, power both FMCs with low noise psu's for better effect. I have done the latter and its quite noticable, smoother, less edgy sound.

May 5, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #5,788 of 8,833
Alternatively, power both FMCs with low noise psu's for better effect.
But don't power both ends from the same PSU as you will be breaking the isolation.

May 5, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #5,789 of 8,833
Had this simple experiment a while back....Somebody told me the same thing...

So I powered my FMC on the dirty side on a different wall socket far away (thru an extention) with its SMPS. And powered the other FMC on the clean side with LPS on another different socket (in my room). Compared this with my previous setup powering both on the same LPS. Preferred the later by a mile.

Your experience may be different.

Edit: LPS is attached to a power conditioner.

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #5,790 of 8,833
No switch or fibre network: a cat6 (Monoprice AWG32) between my ROON/HQPlayer server and my A26. I only have an iFi iSilencer filter at the input and therefore no network power management.
Just a configuration with 2 ethernet : IPV4 for the external and IPV6 between the server and the player. A bit like if ethernet replaced USB :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back