GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
May 3, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #5,746 of 8,912
I have been watching for quite a long time what complex chains some people build in order to get a high-quality signal over the network.
These are tons of LAN filters, signal converters, external clocks, power supplies, and more.

I will just share a DIY development of our Russian developers - Alexey Zhidkov and Alexey Galkin. This is the so-called audiophile network switch. You probably know similar devices from various brands. This is not an advertisement, because you will not be able to buy it in the nearest store, or order it on the site for delivery.

2023-05-03 12.34.50.jpg 2023-05-03 12.34.59.jpg

A little about what's under the hood of 8-ports Ethernet Switch - MATRIX.NET

2023-05-03 12.38.03.jpg

This device is based on one of the best audio network switches from Zyxel.

To reduce the digital noise into the chain, the electrical circuits of the main switch board were upgraded, and a special LPS (linear power supply) based on supercapacitors was also implemented. Also, the device uses a specially selected accurate clock, which optimizes the transfering of data packets to the receiver, which gives a significant increase in the sound of your system.

The presence of a dedicated clock power line based on supercapacitors allows you to get the most stable and clean power supply to the crystal oscillator, which, in turn, reduces the phase noise of the generator in the audio range.

Size - 220 х 160 х 80mm

-------------

My personal impressions of the result of using this switch

The first impression was that the blanket was removed from the previous sound. Significantly improved space and sound stage. This acquires a more regular geometric shape - a sphere. If you used to feel that the scene has no depth, or there is a feeling that the scene is flat, now you get a tangible depth, versatility, layering.

The second thing you pay attention to is a significant increase in dynamics, speed, attacks, frequency transitions. No more lethargy, friability, cottoniness in the sound. Even the fastest, most aggressive, complex tracks are played clearly, legibly, with excellent separation of instruments. Improvement across the entire frequency range. I can’t even single out anything separately, because I hear improvement everywhere - the bass is even deeper and more textured, even more dynamic and impactful, the mids are even more expressive and emotional, the upper frequencies are clear, comfortable, extended.

In general, when you first hear the changes that the switch gave you, it’s as if some important component (DAC or amplifier) has been replaced in your system, so these are significant changes.

I tried to connect my iMac to the switch in order to use it as a transport for Gustard R26 via USB. And you know, in this case, I also got a significant increase in sound quality. But the biggest upgrade I got was when I connected (LAN) Gustard directly to the switch.

In addition, the important thing for me is one small box that replaces a ton of different junk, and gives an improvement in sound at least as much, I'm sure.

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #5,748 of 8,912
Awesome!! It is a fantastic little tweak that makes a ton of difference.
Hi Cam! My FMC's from China arrived today, but I can't get them to work :frowning2: They only have input for one optical cable each, but shouldn't that be sufficient? One is marked with "A" and the other with "B" both ports says TX..
I put the "A" at the router end and B at the DAC end...

Attachments

• IMG20230503141818.jpg
    IMG20230503141818.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
May 3, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #5,749 of 8,912
Hi Cam! My FMC's from China arrived today, but I can't get them to work :frowning2: They only have input for one optical cable each, but shouldn't that be sufficient? One is marked with "A" and the other with "B" both ports says TX..
I put the "A" at the router end and B at the DAC end...
Do we need both RX and TX ?
I cannot remember who recommended these Alibaba FMCs now... 😆

May 3, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #5,750 of 8,912
Yes: TX=Transmit RX=Receive

May 3, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #5,755 of 8,912
There is another option...
An alternative to FMC and audiophile switch is 4G router.
I've had a little test FMC vs. 4G router - and router was better.
My router gets internet without cable - through 4G and the only cable is the cable, that connects the router to R26. The rest of the home system gets internet from router through WiFi.
This means, that no hum can get to router from any other devices.
And it works!

May 3, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #5,756 of 8,912
There is another option...
An alternative to FMC and audiophile switch is 4G router.
I've had a little test FMC vs. 4G router - and router was better.
My router gets internet without cable - through 4G and the only cable is the cable, that connects the router to R26. The rest of the home system gets internet from router through WiFi.
This means, that no hum can get to router from any other devices.
And it works!
But are you able to stream DSD512 then...?

May 3, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #5,758 of 8,912
Cam, did you ever consider using HQPlayer’s ‘Matrix’ functionality as an alternative for ‘Convolution’ ?
It has several advantages:
- you don’t have to export wav files for every possible bitrate
- you only need to export the text file with the filters for left and right which will be used independent of the actual bitrate (because you use the filter formula’s)
- you can include the needed headroom in the filter file itself by adding the ‘preamp: -x dB’ statement.
- when you have multiple targets (e.g. use multiple headphones like me) you can very easily switch between filters, almost on the fly by uploading these very small text files to HQPlayer.
- it is very easy to create and export these filter.txt files … from REW or similar EQ apps

You might consider to try it some time?
Just for reference I have included an old (simple) filter I exported from REW for one of my headphones.
I haven’t. I thought I had read where HQplayer would upsample the filter to the chosen rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back