GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Apr 5, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #5,387 of 8,833
That's what I did (to mine), split the cable. And suggested to you...

SeMbNHr.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #5,390 of 8,833
That's what I did (to mine), split the cable. And suggested to you...

SeMbNHr.jpg

I use those media converters too - excellent boost in SQ over a copper network. Even better if you can add some reasonably priced LPSU to power them. I like Tomanek from Poland.

Apr 5, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #5,391 of 8,833
Hello everyone, I'm new here and wanted to say hello first. Today I received R26. I immediately did a firmware update + tidal connect. Tidal Connect works with iPhone. Unfortunately, it does not work with android phones. I tried three different models. Do you have that too?
I checked the problem and you are right.
I get an error when trying to connect from Android:
tidal_connect_application handle_transport_init received error: TLS handshake failed
This bug has been present since Tidal Music v2.65. For it to work, you need to uninstall the current version and install v2.64.2. (You also need to uncheck Enable TIDAL auto update in Google Play Store)
v2.64.2 can be installed from APK Mirror
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/tidal/tidal-tidal/tidal-tidal-2-64-2-release/
I installed the nodpi version and it works (need to allow installation from this source)
The version of the firmware update + tidal connect that I prepared uses the project from GitHub and unfortunately there is no update for operation with an android app above 2.64.2
Maybe Gustard will try and make their version work, but when will it happen?

Edit:
And this is the link to the latest (unofficial) version with Tidal Connect support but with Roon Bridge disabled. The streamer then uses 50MB of RAM less and the total consumption when playing from Tidal is about 60% of RAM
R26_1v4+Tidal-Roon_upgrade.zip (752MB)
@siwmad confirmed it works.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #5,392 of 8,833
R26 owner here. A few questions.

First My chain is:

Minidsp (roon endpoint with room correction)
denafrips hermes ddc
R26
Pre amp
Amp

I swapped my pontus II for the R26 and enjoying the increase in performance.

I am now down the rabbit hole on master clocks and passively starting to look at fiber isolation.

Question: regarding the lhy SW 10. Interesting unit...looking to cover a lot bases in one chassis. It is my understanding lhy removed thier performance figures due to "inaccuracies". What is the consensus here on the lhy clocks/switches ...still a strong bump in performance or now a black box due to the rumours of sub 100db performance found in the field?

I was looking at SW 10 and oct-2 at one point but now wondering if a c18 is more a sure thing?

I see the afterdark units look good, a bit more $ to get 110db plus phase noise results.

Last, does anyone have an opinion if I should be replacing my Hermes ddc with u18 if I purchased an upgraded ext master clock? Ie. Would u18 clocked with c18 (or Oct 2), be better than Hermes ddc?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #5,394 of 8,833
I checked the problem and you are right.
I get an error when trying to connect from Android:
tidal_connect_application handle_transport_init received error: TLS handshake failed
This bug has been present since Tidal Music v2.65. For it to work, you need to uninstall the current version and install v2.64.2. (You also need to uncheck Enable TIDAL auto update in Google Play Store)
v2.64.2 can be installed from APK Mirror
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/tidal/tidal-tidal/tidal-tidal-2-64-2-release/
I installed the nodpi version and it works (need to allow installation from this source)
The version of the firmware update + tidal connect that I prepared uses the project from GitHub and unfortunately there is no update for operation with an android app above 2.64.2
Maybe Gustard will try and make their version work, but when will it happen?

Edit:
And this is the link to the latest (unofficial) version with Tidal Connect support but with Roon Bridge disabled. The streamer then uses 50MB of RAM less and the total consumption when playing from Tidal is about 60% of RAM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Cl4-72UbjyXbCoc34vN9niY-mf2oW8N/view?usp=share_link
@siwmad confirmed it works.
Thanks! So, asking permission to post this on the first page so others could benefit.

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #5,395 of 8,833
@blackhawk11
Depends where you want to go USB/DDC or LAN. As for brand. I lean more on LHY for bang-for-buck. For performance is AfterDark. Gustard is middle. On "inaccuracies", read in AS(?) that they got the figures from their trusted clock supplier and Jude (Uptone Audio) sent them email that the specs we're wrong. To cut down the cost, these clocks came bulk from old cell towers (thus inaccuracies). So don't be surprised when you open your LHY product, inside it says Sprint or Verizon. (No problem for me if they come form old cell towers. What's important is performance).

For clocks your hermes DDC accepts 45.1584MHz and 49.152MHz (Denafrips) so you need a clock from Denafrips to work. If go to this route, your DDC will only benefit from it. Your R26 will not. And you"ll stuck w/ the non popular clock rate.

For future upgrades do suggest go to the 10Mhz route for more options. Unless you"ll stay all Denafrips for your life.

If you plan to remain in USB/DDC, suggest buy a 10Mhz clock first for R26 and change Hermes to a DDC that accepts 10Mhz. (for reason above not for SQ)

For LAN, will go to the SW-10 + FMC route. If your stream or files in network.
You stiil enjoy your Hermes via USB. And LAN as option.
Later change Hermes for a DDC w/ 10Mhz clock option. And connect it to SW-10. Since SW-10 has only one output, you decide.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #5,396 of 8,833
For LAN, will go to the SW-10 + FMC route. If your stream or files in network.
You stiil enjoy your Hermes via USB. And LAN as option.
Later change Hermes for a DDC w/ 10Mhz clock option. And connect it to SW-10. Since SW-10 has only one output, you decide.
Yep..good order of upgrade for improvement.

If I could do it all over again, id focus on the network, the benefits of using mesh/fiber optic lan are noticable. Yes, not an elegant and simple solution, but the benefits are can be clearly heard. Even powering the the FMC's with cleaner power supplies compound the effect.

The initial thought process of just isolating the network path just before the streamer is a founded one and also a good starting point, but when you work backwards back to the router and ISP modem, the benefits compound.

IMO the Master clock syncing across multiple devices is the icing on the cake, do that the last.

Apr 6, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #5,397 of 8,833
Thanks! So, asking permission to post this on the first page so others could benefit.
OK, you have my permission.
The latest version of the firmware contains all system fixes and especially includes the latest version of UpNP Media Renderer. Roon support is also disabled.
I use balenaEtcher installed on a MacBook to upload the firmware. But I use a USB-C to USB-A adapter and a USB-A to USB-C cable. Using USB-C to USB-C doesn't work!

Apr 6, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #5,399 of 8,833
Hello,
2.0 seems a bit low to me.
For one thing, it should work, you would slow down the R26 a bit.
The second thing would be that you could trigger it and have wasted 200$ for nothing, and could cause damage to the R26, so not really recommended.
Also, remember that the technology is very sensitive.

So don't take a risk and buy at least a 2,5 or 3,15 a.

With the 3.15 you go with the fuse on the audiophile side and the 2.5 fulfils more the standard so that the R26 works but no progressive advantages will necessarily have.

Apr 6, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #5,400 of 8,833
Hello,
2.0 seems a bit low to me.
For one thing, it should work, you would slow down the R26 a bit.
The second thing would be that you could trigger it and have wasted 200$ for nothing, and could cause damage to the R26, so not really recommended.
Also, remember that the technology is very sensitive.

So don't take a risk and buy at least a 2,5 or 3,15 a.

With the 3.15 you go with the fuse on the audiophile side and the 2.5 fulfils more the standard so that the R26 works but no progressive advantages will necessarily have.
I asked advice on the fuse value from Gustard directly, who told me to use 3.15a with the R26. It's a significant improvement!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back