GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Mar 29, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #5,311 of 8,832
Mar 29, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #5,312 of 8,832
Mar 29, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #5,313 of 8,832
With HQPlayer, probably. Does it make a considerable difference?
I do it in HQplayer
Setting the correct bit depth ensures that noise shaping is operating within the linear range of the DAC and therefore will be more effective.
When you set the bit depth too high, you get a poorer result due to the noise shaping not working fully. And so it's better to go a little too low than it is to go even 1 bit too high.

No DAC of any kinda is linear to beyond 22 bits currently.

I went into some pretty deep detail here about bitdepth 50 pages or so ago lol.

Mar 29, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #5,314 of 8,832
I do it in HQplayer
Setting the correct bit depth ensures that noise shaping is operating within the linear range of the DAC and therefore will be more effective.
When you set the bit depth too high, you get a poorer result due to the noise shaping not working fully. And so it's better to go a little too low than it is to go even 1 bit too high.

No DAC of any kinda is linear to beyond 22 bits currently.

I went into some pretty deep detail here about bitdepth 50 pages or so ago lol.
It is related to the internal HQPlayer operation. Extensive noise shaping is killing R2R natural sound. If you like it, you would be rather happy with Delta-Sigma DAC. Fact is, HQPlayer does noise shaping excessively, even it is instructed not doing so.

I evaluated noise shaping options with PGGB (there is no cheating in this software) with results as above. Note that some dithering is required during upsampling to clean sound from mathematic rounding errors, ladder size is good enough, as low significant bits provide natural dithering, but noise shaping algorithms are killing the sound, there are completely unnecessary for NOS DAC.

Mar 29, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #5,315 of 8,832
It is related to the internal HQPlayer operation. Extensive noise shaping is killing R2R natural sound. If you like it, you would be rather happy with Delta-Sigma DAC. Fact is, HQPlayer does noise shaping excessively, even it is instructed not doing so.

I evaluated noise shaping options with PGGB (there is no cheating in this software) with results as above. Note that some dithering is required during upsampling to clean sound from mathematic rounding errors, ladder size is good enough, as low significant bits provide natural dithering, but noise shaping algorithms are killing the sound, there are completely unnecessary for NOS DAC.

Not sure if this is related. But I am using TPDF which is the standard (or simple) dithering lately and loving it. I did feel like it created a more natural sound. Or it seemed to not change what the headphones are great at which is the midrange in the case of the HD600. It seems to give all the advantages of upsampling, but also sounds natural (which is a great part about this DAC in NOS mode without upsampling). Not sure if it's placebo, but really loving it. And to answer the question on what settings people are using for HQPlayer - mine are in my signature. Also I'll try the 15 bits per what Cam said even though I doubt I'll be able to hear a difference between 15 and 16.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #5,316 of 8,832

I will totally agree that I am very far from the R26 “original sound”. I am bypassing everything the R26 does except the reconstruction filter. But because of the convolution filters I have perfect time alignment between speaker drivers, and a +-3db frequency response at my listening position from 35hz-20khz equal to the greatest recording studios in the world.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #5,317 of 8,832
I've been using LYH OCK2, Gustard U18 and R26 for months. After installing Roonsever on Synology Nas (streaming via Zen Stream as Roon core), the SQ has been degraded, especially with PCM files. It seems that Minimserver matching with Bubble UPnP is still better than Roon. Have any one here got the same experiences?

Mar 31, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #5,319 of 8,832
Can anyone explain to me how to open the compartment to replace the fuse?

Mar 31, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #5,320 of 8,832
Hello,

Take a small flat screwdriver and place it where the small slot is and then prise it out slightly and the compartment will come out by itself.

Make sure that the new fuse has a fixed direction of rotation, if it has, you have to phase it out with the multimeter.

Hope this helps, ✌️.

Mar 31, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #5,321 of 8,832
I've been using LYH OCK2, Gustard U18 and R26 for months. After installing Roonsever on Synology Nas (streaming via Zen Stream as Roon core), the SQ has been degraded, especially with PCM files. It seems that Minimserver matching with Bubble UPnP is still better than Roon. Have any one here got the same experiences?
My NAS is too weak for Roon so I used Roon on PC. Which is not quite comparable. But Minimserver and Mconnect, or Bubble sound better for me as well. Only with Roon there were no problems with stopping.

Mar 31, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #5,323 of 8,832
Thank you.
There are two fuses
Hello,

Take a small flat screwdriver and place it where the small slot is and then prise it out slightly and the compartment will come out by itself.

Make sure that the new fuse has a fixed direction of rotation, if it has, you have to phase it out with the multimeter.

Hope this helps, ✌️.
Thank you.
There are two fuses. Which one should I replace?

Capture d’écran 2023-03-31 à 18.21.48.png

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #5,325 of 8,832

Users who are viewing this thread

Back