GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Mar 14, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #5,086 of 8,833
Mar 14, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #5,087 of 8,833
the Hdmi cable length is controversial, some people prefer shorter cables, some longer cables. Hdmi is also all about impendace matching of the host and client device. Some hosts and clients are 120 Ohm and other are 100 Ohm if i recall correctly. So yeah, its all about tinkering with cable lenghts to avoid reflections. Therefore not every one get the same results with Hdmi.
My Cable is a 2m AQ Chocolate. I want to try later on a shorter Hdmi <50cm and see if it improves or worsen the system.
Given that the signal has very low voltage values, from that angle, the hdmi cable should be as short as possible. Because even the smallest resistance, for a low voltage signal, is a problem. 16/44 signal is around 0,5V.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #5,088 of 8,833
Had a weird problem on my R26 recently, was getting some noise that I could tell was from the R26 since if I switched to another input on my amp, it went away. Thought it might have been from USB so I got an isolator. Still there. Then I bought an iFi GND Defender and that fixed it.

The weird thing is though, I have my R26 and amp plugged into the same power strip. I thought ground loops (what GND Defender fixes) only happen when devices are plugged into different outlets? What's happening here? FYI my power strip is a Furman PST-8 with linear filtering, not sure if that matters.

Mar 14, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #5,090 of 8,833
Hey y'all. I wanted to share some recent thoughts and observations.
I acquired a Schiit Vidar 1 speaker amp about a week ago and have done extensive listening and comparisons with my Audiophonics MPA-S250NC.
While I very much like my Class D Audiophonics amp [w/ Hypex NCore modules], I feel that Class A/B amplification works much better with the tonality of the R26.
The S250NC has great clarity and resolution not to mention amazingly low distortion.
However, the Vidar has an added level of texture and palpability that I find lacking when comparing the two.
Vidar has supreme control and grip over the entire frequency range, but especially bass.
All of this makes for more engagement and emotional connection with the music.
And THIS... is what it's all about!
Again, I find human language woefully inadequate at describing exactly what it is I am hearing, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
I don't remember where I read it, but IIRC someone was saying that the R26 didn't pair well with Class D.
And I don't have enough data to come to a definitive conclusion, but in my experience the R26 synergizes much better with the Class A/B Vidar in my system.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #5,093 of 8,833
Hey y'all. I wanted to share some recent thoughts and observations.
I acquired a Schiit Vidar 1 speaker amp about a week ago and have done extensive listening and comparisons with my Audiophonics MPA-S250NC.
While I very much like my Class D Audiophonics amp [w/ Hypex NCore modules], I feel that Class AB amplification works much better with the tonality of the R26.
The S250NC has great clarity and resolution not to mention amazingly low distortion.
However, the Vidar has an added level of texture and palpability that I find lacking when comparing the two.
Vidar has supreme control and grip over the entire frequency range, but especially bass.
All of this makes for more engagement and emotional connection with the music.
And THIS... is what it's all about!
Again, I find human language woefully inadequate at describing exactly what it is I am hearing, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
I don't remember where I read it, but IIRC someone was saying that the R26 didn't pair well with Class D.
And I don't have enough data to come to a definitive conclusion, but in my experience the R26 synergizes much better with the Class AB Vidar in my system.
Couldn’t agree more! Class A/B and R2R DACs are just pure and natural.
My Yamaha AS2200 and the R26 is an unreal combo.

Mar 16, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #5,094 of 8,833
Question for those on this thread… has anyone added a dedicated pre-amp (curious to tube specifically) to the R26 in a speaker setup and what was observed when comparing to the R26s digital preamp section?

Mar 16, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #5,095 of 8,833
Question for those on this thread… has anyone added a dedicated pre-amp (curious to tube specifically) to the R26 in a speaker setup and what was observed when comparing to the R26s digital preamp section?
It probably depends on the quality of the preamp. I have an FM Acoustic FM 255 MKII. The sound is much better with the preamp in every way.

Mar 16, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #5,096 of 8,833
A decent dedicated pre amp will offer benefits, as it will support the sonic signature and add to it instead of just attenuating the signal (scale the volume). A good preamplifier is as important as a good power amplifier to achieve the best results IMHO. This has always been the way...... to get the music power to flow.
If anyone has ever delved into using a passive preamp, this offers great insight to detail and transparency which is a good thing, but after a while you feel it doesn't give you the exuberance and energy, the power, that is in the music.

I'm generalising because certain more esoteric systems with very sensitive power amps can sound great with passive preamps but in the main, preamps are a best way forward for music enjoyment.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #5,098 of 8,833
Thanks for the input. I should also clarify that I'm only streaming from the R26 and currently using a Schiit Vidar power amp. I've never had a dedicated pre-amp so wasn't sure what to expect.
It would be a good idea to try out a solid amplifier in the price range of the rest of the system before buying.

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #5,099 of 8,833
Thanks for the input. I should also clarify that I'm only streaming from the R26 and currently using a Schiit Vidar power amp. I've never had a dedicated pre-amp so wasn't sure what to expect.
In my experience after speakers the pre-amp made the biggest difference a component made to my system. A good dedicated preamp will beat most volume controls on DACs. With my preamp and the r26 volume control its not even close.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #5,100 of 8,833
There are tons of preamps out there of course, but with the Vidar, if you want to stay with Schiit, their little Saga+ is a great bang for buck and the addition of the small amount of tube gain (6SN7) can really be heard compared to passive mode. Up the chain to the Freya, which I think is $850 now without tubes, and it would sound fantastic with the Vidar, if you're up for tubes. Decent 6SN7s can be had pretty cheap, I've got some old Fotons from the 70s that you can buy all day for $7-8, and they're not bad at all, better IMO than most new stuff. But this is just rattling a tin can, of course there are many, many preamps to be found, especially used. But like others here have said any decent preamp will spank the preamp function of the R26. And in my experience (I like tubes as you can guess), the fullness and warmth you'll get from the addition of tube gain is just gorgeous and pairs beautifully with the clean, detailed presentation of the R26.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back