GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Mar 11, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #5,041 of 8,833
The picture shows the DC voltage connection. I see that the company also sells a 12 V DC power supply, so you probably need such a power supply and a cable with connectors that matches the power supply and the clock.
Did the device come with any instructions and technical specifications?
Got no instructions nor specifications. Just some measurements of the clock

Mar 11, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #5,042 of 8,833
I agree, Cam, but don’t you think the “DSD Only”, or “DSD first” is actually the A26 (this is how I understand it)
Yes that would be the Dac to buy in this series if DSD was your thing.
I was meaning something even more specialized for DSD. A 1bit chip option and a multibit chip option, then really focus and dial in on the analog output filters

Mar 11, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #5,043 of 8,833
Yes that would be the Dac to buy in this series if DSD was your thing.
I was meaning something even more specialized for DSD. A 1bit chip option and a multibit chip option, then really focus and dial in on the analog output filters
I understand your point, Cameron.
As for me I am 100% PCM based.

Now, one question remains :

Who should open this new thread ?

- I suggested it might be Mickey. But @m-i-c-k-e-y says there is no clear need for a new thread, as Gustard "surely reads this one". But with all due respect for Mickey, I doubt that... We have +5000 posts here as of today... and may be just 10-20 posts Gustard might find useful, lost in the +5000.

- I can create it, obviously... But you Cam, are way more savvy than me. In a few months, I have understood that you are a well-deserved reference person here. Let's imagine a best case where Gustard takes this new thread seriously and wants to engage with the OP... Sure, it would be funny for me, but I am way less useful than you would be. And you already have in-house contacts with Gustard.

So:
- I really think this new thread makes sense, as it is not about R26, but about the future R26 Pro, or R28, or R30, or whatever : It is not redundant with this one, which is about R26.

- I am not sure I am the best OP (actually, I am sure I am not !)

Therefore, my question to you, Cam, would you want to be the Owner/OP/Moderator of this new thread ?

You will have my vote !

PS:
There is one point where I do not totally agree with you : I think Gustard will propose a successor to R26 this year, or early next year at the latest : so I think there are already in design phase.

Why ?
- Because Chi-Fi moves very fast
- They would be right to surf the R26 wave without waiting too long. Especially since R26 was a first attempt.
- They might actually not have had the means to put everything they wanted in R26, because of COVID and supply chain issues (the DSD discussion between you and Sajunky is a good example : discrepancy between the marketing material and the final product). So they (Gustard) might be eager to complete as initially envisioned + more.

Therefore, this new thread makes a lot of sense.
And now is a good time, I guess.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #5,044 of 8,833
- I really think this new thread makes sense, as it is not about R26, but about the future R26 Pro, or R28, or R30, or whatever : It is not redundant with this one, which is about R26.
Not sure. Regarding R28, is already there. :)

Mar 11, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #5,047 of 8,833
Got no instructions nor specifications. Just some measurements of the clock
Nice clock you got there, the measurements you refer are valuable, certainty as to phase noise performance. Something that I don’t have with my LHY - there’s a story there but let’s not go there today 😎.

Two things that are really important to get the most out of your external clock are a high quality power supply and clock cable. Generally AD hope you’ll buy one of their matched 12v DC units to go with it but a more affordable but high regarded quality 12v linear PS from another manufacturer like LHY would likely do the job.

https://www.beatechnik.com/product-page/lps25va

What clock cable did you get with it? One they included or a particular model you paid more for?

As I’ve found to quite some expense from trying some 6 (six! 😅) BNC cables in the six months I’ve had it they vary a LOT. The best of the bunch by some margin - even over the Gustard C2 and LMR400 - is the Harmonic-Technology DC III, 50 ohm Single Crystal Copper at USD150 landed cost from HK. Highly rated over in the Master Clock thread.

I would suggest you ask for advice over on the Master Clock thread on both the cable and PS front from the many AfterDark owners there.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #5,048 of 8,833
More trouble in paradise. When I have the R26 set to LAN and run UPNP on my tablet, UPNP finds the R26 but when I hit the play button on the screen it won't play.

Then I tried Mconnect on my phone, it finds the R26 but the same thing, won't play when you hit the button,

Then I tried Tidal via USB on my laptop, I hit play and the song plays but no sound. I got a few error mesages on Tidal and at one point I got music, but just for a second and it went away.

I did try the R26 via optical though my TV and the R26 worked fine.

The settings on the R26 all seem to be fine as well as with the amp and pre-amp.

Any ideas?
If you want to play from a Windows laptop, you need to install the USB driver Gustard_UsbAudio_v5.50 from page 1 of the thread.
If you're using a MacBook, you don't need to install anything

Unfortunately, I don't play directly from the phone, only on the NAS I have MinimServer and BubbleUPnP installed and I control it using the Linn App for iOS. Everything plays except Tidal. But I don't care because I have Tidal connect installed in Gustard R26.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #5,049 of 8,833
If you want to play from a Windows laptop, you need to install the USB driver Gustard_UsbAudio_v5.50
If you're using a MacBook, you don't need to install anything

Unfortunately, I don't play directly from the phone, only on the NAS I have MinimServer and BubbleUPnP installed and I control it using the Linn App for iOS. Everything plays except Tidal. But I don't care because I have Tidal connect installed in Gustard R26.
I got it working, although just like the updates, I just kept trying & trying & trying again, the presto! all of a sudden it started working. This all so confusing when all I really want to do is listen to some music! :relaxed:

Mar 11, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #5,050 of 8,833
A little off subject, but there has been mention of a music player called JPlayer (I think) and I was wondering if anyone could provide with me a link? The Google Playstore has two JPlayers one has two arrows pointing to the right, the other has some music notes. Is it one of these? I'm really struggling these days running Tidal through Bubble UPnP and I can't quite afford to go with Roon at the moment, but I'd like to try something! Thanks.
Hey Rock-I think Jplay is only available for ios devices at this point. Here is their website with what I believe is the windows version, don’t think there’s an Android option but you could ask them. I love this app! http://www.jplay.eu/download/

Mar 11, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #5,052 of 8,833
@Davidv100
You're free to create Bro..no worries!
Just that don't want to pressure myself in "maintaining" another thread. So go ahead if you want.

Mar 11, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #5,053 of 8,833
@Davidv100
Just that don't want to pressure myself in "maintaining" another thread. So go ahead if you want.
I am not the right person...
I guess Camrector will think about creating it as OP/Owner/Moderator... since he was thinking about this too.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #5,054 of 8,833
@Davidv100
We can try, but I think Gustard is more focused on the Chinese market.

Mar 11, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #5,055 of 8,833
I am not the right person...
I guess Camrector will think about creating it as OP/Owner/Moderator... since he was thinking about this too.
Oh thank you for the kind words David.
You did strike a great point I missed.
Gustard needs some help with their manuals!
Hey Gustard if you are listening, I will gladly write all of your product manuals and solve any language barrier issues you guys have. For payment I only need to keep the model of whatever product that I’m writing the manual for.

David you can totally take the lead on a new forum post. You already have a good start here. I would love to hear more of peoples ideas, and definitely would add my thoughts to it for sure. I do hope you’re right too about a R26 pro model. I wouldn’t want the job of having to improve on this. I’m not sure they really could and keep the price in the under $4000 range for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back