GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Mar 11, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #5,026 of 8,833
hi, i just bought a afterdark ocxo clock for my gustard r26 dac. But as this is my first experience with external master clock, i'm only given a bnc cable. What cable should i also get to power up the clock?

Mar 11, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #5,027 of 8,833
How to trigger an ”audiophile” 101: start talking about cables. 🔌🎶😂

Mar 11, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #5,028 of 8,833
hi, i just bought a afterdark ocxo clock for my gustard r26 dac. But as this is my first experience with external master clock, i'm only given a bnc cable. What cable should i also get to power up the clock?
If the clock has an internal power supply, you need a 120/230 VAC mains cable. If it has a direct voltage connection, you need an external power supply, which provides the voltage displayed next to the connector, and a cable with connectors that match the devices. A BNC cable is sufficient for the signal. Or several such cables, if the clock will be connected to several devices.

Mar 11, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #5,030 of 8,833
If the clock has an internal power supply, you need a 120/230 VAC mains cable. If it has a direct voltage connection, you need an external power supply, which provides the voltage displayed next to the connector, and a cable with connectors that match the devices. A BNC cable is sufficient for the signal. Or several such cables, if the clock will be connected to several devices.
this is the one i bought (https://www.adark.co/collections/pr...eference-master-clock-audiophilestyle-edition). It seems like a DC cable input on the right?

And i cant tell if there is a internal power supply or not. Also not sure what's the voltage or ampere required for the DC cable?

Mar 11, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #5,031 of 8,833
Well,
There is logic in analog cables, and in good quality digital cables.

There is just no logic behind burn in of digital cables.

About analog cables, here is a good balanced review about facts & myths :

I have never heard that someone from the negative side appeared who personally saw, with his own ears, that any cable does not need burn-in. All detractors refer to the theory, or others. In this case, if USB cables, unlike other cables, do not need burn in, then all these cables should sound the same. And they don't sound the same, even though they carry a 1 and 0 signal, basically it's a completely analog current that flows through the cable.

Mar 11, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #5,032 of 8,833
this is the one i bought (https://www.adark.co/collections/pr...eference-master-clock-audiophilestyle-edition). It seems like a DC cable input on the right?

And i cant tell if there is a internal power supply or not. Also not sure what's the voltage or ampere required for the DC cable?
The picture shows the DC voltage connection. I see that the company also sells a 12 V DC power supply, so you probably need such a power supply and a cable with connectors that matches the power supply and the clock.
Did the device come with any instructions and technical specifications?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #5,033 of 8,833
Hum no…
There is logic in analog cables, and in good quality digital cables.

There is just no logic behind burn in of digital cables.

About analog cables, here is a good balanced review about facts & myths :

For every video and article you show me to the contrary, I can show you one that supports. I just find it funny how upset and passionate people can get over cables. Personally, I’ve heard plain as day differences in USB cables including pre/post burn-in. I’ve owned several boutique high end cables that are all supposed to just transfer 1’s and 0’s and there‘s clear sonic differences. My personal subjective opinion is one would have to be deaf not to hear these differences but hey if some don’t they’re saving a bunch of cash. Good for them.

Mar 11, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #5,034 of 8,833
Hello everyone here,

I am thinking about opening a new thread with a name sort of "Wishlist to Gustard for next R2R (>R26) improvements and new functionalities".
I think it could be useful for Gustard and easier for them VS trying to summarise the 333 pages we have here as of today.
So, by serving them, we serve ourselves for next generation of devices.

- Is this idea welcome ? Would you support it ?
- Is anyone else, better suited than me (i.e. with the moderator credentials that I do not have), willing to open this thread - for example @m-i-c-k-e-y ?

First things that come to my mind are the following :

- Improved firmware upgrade process (reliability);
- Compatibility with Apple computers for upgrade process (many people have only Macs, no PCs);
- Improved USB port (high quality galvanic Isolation);
- Wi-Fi Streaming (galvanic isolation by design);
- Configurable PIN lay-out for I2S;
- Higher quality internal clock;
- Integrate natively the best quality fuse if it really makes a substantial difference;
- More Internal memory to prepare for future native streaming programs (because for example it seems that Tidal Connect takes almost all available space - So, will future Apple Music streaming fit on R26 ? Not sure);
- Adequate internal buffer memory for Wi-Fi;
- More aesthetically balanced chassis (like A26 or better);
- IOS/Android App to control the devise (instead of cheap remote, although this point seems of lesser importance : i.e. who uses a remote ?)

Also, question to you guys :
- Is there really an interest for a pre-amp stage ? (or is everyone using "Fixed" anyway)

What else ?
Thank you for your input
I’ve thought about this a great deal since recieving the R26. What’s next? How to improve?

I mean we all agree that they knocked it out of the park here at this price point, so it would seem that upgrades would tend to be more individual system preferences.

This was a series of DACs (X ,R, and A) so I don’t see them doing a new series for quite sometime.
Then I also am not sure it’s in the business plan/strategy to get into the higher priced Dac game.
If they are then well the sky is the limit.

Like @sajunky I think the whole DSD implementation of the R26 needs an overhaul. Moving to a multibit chip would be easy and cost effective.
But then I also think that Gustard should do a “DSD only” Dac, especially with the popularity of pcm conversion and upsampling.
Gustard as a whole should make the i2S configurable on ever model. It’s weird that they don’t actually. If I invested in a nice DDC I would be turned off on Gustard DACs because of this.

I would also love to see a DAC with a SFP port for fiber.
That’s all I got.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #5,035 of 8,833
I’ve thought about this a great deal since recieving the R26. What’s next? How to improve?

I mean we all agree that they knocked it out of the park here at this price point, so it would seem that upgrades would tend to be more individual system preferences.

This was a series of DACs (X ,R, and A) so I don’t see them doing a new series for quite sometime.
Then I also am not sure it’s in the business plan/strategy to get into the higher priced Dac game.
If they are then well the sky is the limit.

Like @sajunky I think the whole DSD implementation of the R26 needs an overhaul. Moving to a multibit chip would be easy and cost effective.
But then I also think that Gustard should do a “DSD only” Dac, especially with the popularity of pcm conversion and upsampling.
Gustard as a whole should make the i2S configurable on ever model. It’s weird that they don’t actually. If I invested in a nice DDC I would be turned off on Gustard DACs because of this.

That’s all I got.
I agree, Cam, but don’t you think the “DSD Only”, or “DSD first” is actually the A26 (this is how I understand it)

Mar 11, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #5,036 of 8,833
For every video and article you show me to the contrary, I can show you one that supports. I just find it funny how upset and passionate people can get over cables. Personally, I’ve heard plain as day differences in USB cables including pre/post burn-in. I’ve owned several boutique high end cables that are all supposed to just transfer 1’s and 0’s and there‘s clear sonic differences. My personal subjective opinion is one would have to be deaf not to hear these differences but hey if some don’t they’re saving a bunch of cash. Good for them.
I totally agree about the differences in quality… I have stated this many times in this nonsense discussion. I understand that there are differences.

The YT video I proposed, despite its “click-bait” title is pro-cables. The YouTuber ("A British Audiophile"), has some > 800$/m audio cables, and explains why, with some logic.

My point is just about the BURN-IN of DIGITAL cables : There is no such thing.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #5,037 of 8,833
I totally agree about the differences in quality… I have stated this many times in this nonsense discussion. I understand that there are differences.

The YT video I proposed, despite its “click-bait” title is pro-cables. The YouTuber (BAT), has some > 800$/m audio cables, and explains why, with some logic.

My point in just about the BURN-IN of DIGITAL cables : There is no such thing.
“Nonsense discussion” I’m glad you’re the arbiter of what is and what is not worth having a conversation about. Agree to disagree on this one.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #5,038 of 8,833
A little off subject, but there has been mention of a music player called JPlayer (I think) and I was wondering if anyone could provide with me a link? The Google Playstore has two JPlayers one has two arrows pointing to the right, the other has some music notes. Is it one of these? I'm really struggling these days running Tidal through Bubble UPnP and I can't quite afford to go with Roon at the moment, but I'd like to try something! Thanks.

Mar 11, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #5,039 of 8,833
“Nonsense discussion” I’m glad you’re the arbiter of what is and what is not worth having a conversation about. Agree to disagree on this one.

“Nonsense discussion” is an extract of a post from @Forgisound. I was demonstrating good behavior and deep empathy by agreeing.

I am an arbiter of nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back