GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Feb 16, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #4,606 of 8,833
but are your speakers on (ie. will there be any sound output)? If i only switch on my R26 dac, with amp and speakers off, is the burn-in process ongoing?
It is. Even with the amp off, the DAC is still processing the data stream.

Feb 16, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #4,608 of 8,833
Camrector,

Noise issue solved (for me) !

I followed the below instruction from Jussi that solved my noise issue, maybe you can also try it ?:

“Returning to this old topic, based on some forum postings, I wanted to encourage you to try something.

Have you tried enabling Direct DSD, and then play out everything at DSD multiple of 48k (so adaptive output rate unchecked, and 48k DSD checked). For example at 48k x512 (24.576 MHz). There is a report that such would make the noise go away. I’m curious if this is the case for you too?”

Anyone else here who would like to try it?
Can this be done in Roon or only HQP?
I currently don’t have HQP. I went to buy it and I don’t have a compatible OS! 😭😂🤦🏻‍♂️

Feb 16, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #4,609 of 8,833
You need to send a signal from your source (PC etc) to the DAC.

Feb 17, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #4,616 of 8,833
I think many people here that owns or are interested in LHY-Audio OCXOs may would be interested in this post from the people of UpTone Audio (I own an OCK-2)

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...ur-etherregen/?do=findComment&comment=1232040
If you are interested in meassurements

LHY OCK-1 square wave
1676657121585.jpeg

REF10
1676657165781.jpeg

Feb 17, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #4,618 of 8,833
I think many people here that owns or are interested in LHY-Audio OCXOs may would be interested in this post

Here's my reply to your same post in another thread.
Cheers for sharing, I think. 😅

Interesting is a very diplomatic way of putting it. This was foreshadowed by Superdad so not exactly out of the blue but these measurements are the lower end of the range I was anticipating. Ah well, maybe there's material sample to sample variation as @Exocer says.

Everyone wants - and should be able to reasonably expect - their product to at least measure as claimed, especially with clocks where phase noise at low offsets is widely accepted as closely correlating (if inversely) with sound quality. Shows there's no free lunch as far as phase noise measurements are concerned. Though my OCK-1 improves my R26 today just as much as it did yesterday.

So not a great look for LHY/Beatechnik/Alvin who I respect and will give the benefit of the doubt. An unpleasant learning experience for them methinks. It must I think reduce future demand for the OCKs and potentially the upcoming SW-10 too, certainly for those shopping based on phase noise specs. Which was me, and will likely be me again in future when I upgrade, though the OCK-2 remains in the frame.

@Highfive99 Notwithstanding the above I'm in the same boat as you re the high bang for buck sound quality improvement the OCK-1 brought my system. And my apologies - in my late night commenting on the A26 thread I read your comment as if you'd just gotten the OCK-1, but of course you've had it a while.

Feb 17, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #4,619 of 8,833
If you are interested in meassurements

LHY OCK-1 square wave

REF10
Ah yes I saw this when it was originally posted over on Audiophilestyle some weeks back. Not a pretty square wave plot but a pretty good validation of my and others' preference for the sound of the OCK-1's sine wave outputs over square wave I think you'd agree.

Edit - for those not familiar with the Mutec Ref10 used for comparison, it's a $5k master clock.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #4,620 of 8,833
I'd really be interested in seeing what the scope says about the sine wave out of the OCK-1, hoping maybe it's just the square wave implementation that's not so well done and that the sine wave output is better. I agree with Jake, as bad as it looks, my system still sounds obviously more spacious, more realistic, and more "musical" (I put this down to reduction in timing errors for sure) with the OCK in the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back