GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Dec 21, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #2,762 of 8,833
Dec 21, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #2,763 of 8,833
So if one wanted the best DSD DAC (no conversion to PCM), what choices are there? Note that I don’t care about having streaming or built-in
So if one wanted the best DSD DAC (no conversion to PCM), what choices are there? Note that I don’t care about having streaming or built-in headphone amp.
Singxer sda-6 Pro is very good for DSD (also in combination with HQPlayer)

Dec 21, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #2,764 of 8,833
So if one wanted the best DSD DAC (no conversion to PCM), what choices are there? Note that I don’t care about having streaming or built-in headphone amp.
I like the SMSL VMV D1SE with DSD.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #2,765 of 8,833
The T+A DAC200 is very highly rated over at Audiophilestyle for DSD (especially HQP upsampling) with a dedicated 1 bit DSD chip like the R26. Catch is it's USD7.5K.

Alternatively the Gustard A26 with AKM's latest velvet sound DS chips would also be a top contender if DSD was my priority. Has an internal streamer like the R26, potentially improved a little by Gustard.

Personally I'm pretty happy with the R26 fed HQP-converted + upscaled DSD512 (which to be fair takes a very good computer to do, more expense), with a proviso in the new year I need to upgrade to Gustarender v1.4 and nail the HQP settings to minimise/eliminate pops whilst maximizing SQ. I like the versatility of the R26's ladders that can natively handle PCM from sources like TV etc that can't easily be converted to DSD. Two DACs in one!

Dec 21, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #2,767 of 8,833
I like the SMSL VMV D1SE with DSD.
Nice DAC. I got the SMSL VMV D2 (AKM4499) around the same time as the R26. A really nice DAC that was great with DSD, and responded well to the OCK-1 external clock and U18 DDC. Alas I couldn't afford to keep both...

Dec 21, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #2,768 of 8,833
I’d also consider the a26 but would wait until there’s a few reviews on it and ideally some comparisons on the HQplayer dsd upsampling.

As far as I am aware, Any ess chip will upsample dsd natively but it’s the implementation that matters more than the chip. Iirc I think the Gustard x-16 is v good for dsd and the rme adi 2 but you’d want to check those. I am not sure if there’s a pcm conversion later down the track with those DACs so would check that too (assuming that’s what you are after).

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #2,769 of 8,833
No conversion at all? That’s tough and going to be expensive. Something by Andreas Koch of Playback designs would be endgame.

http://www.playbackdesigns.com/#home
I'm no expert, but from what I've read AKM's DAC chips are particularly good with DSD, handling it natively in a bit perfect manner vs ESS DAC chips doing some internal conversions (though not to PCM IIRC)...

Of course dedicated 1 bit DSD chips like the R26 and DAC200's are a good way of going about it too.

Dec 21, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #2,770 of 8,833
In terms of Gustard R-26, I have some more experiments coming in next few weeks over the holiday break for the r-26 in my system:

- trying out the Gustard c2 clock cable (Jake and others recommend this)
- power board with emi/rfi filtering, isolation and surge protection (incl LAN)
- power cables upgraded with ferrites (targeting the dac and amp and maybe a basic cable upgrade for clock)
- two different vibration isolation techniques for dac, amp and speakers (dac and amp sit side by side)
- may try that net gear or lhy switch as need one anyway
- I may do the FMC but I have paused on that as Martijn from AA wasn’t mad on that IIRC (though no LPS was used) and as I am using a second google wifi nest router I think I have a degree of isolation combined with some dxe engineering isolators I have here

May make zero difference, may make a little - will see. Some surge protection will be good at the v least

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #2,771 of 8,833
I’d also consider the a26 but would wait until there’s a few reviews on it and ideally some comparisons on the HQplayer dsd upsampling.

As far as I am aware, Any ess chip will upsample dsd natively but it’s the implementation that matters more than the chip. Iirc I think the Gustard x-16 is v good for dsd and the rme adi 2 but you’d want to check those. I am not sure if there’s a pcm conversion later down the track with those DACs so would check that too (assuming that’s what you are after).
I upgraded from the X16 to the R26. There's no comparison, and no way I'd prefer the X16! The R26 is a massive improvement in absolutely every respect.

Dec 21, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #2,772 of 8,833
Temporary results of the survey: How do you prefer to listen: PCM NOS on or off ? If off, which PCM filter?

NOS off: 5 votes
NOS on: 2 votes
NOS on + upsampling: 2 votes
Fast filter: 1 vote
Mid filter: 4 votes
Slow filter: 1 vote

Please vote...

Dec 21, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #2,773 of 8,833
- I may do the FMC but I have paused on that as Martijn from AA wasn’t mad on that IIRC (though now LPS was used) and as I am using a second google wifi nest router I think I have a degree of isolation combined with some dxe engineering isolators I have here
Need FMC a try. On my experience the impact is better than the cable/vibration/power tweaks that you mentioned.

On DSD DACs...I believe FPGA based (ie. Chord, PS Audio, Playback Designs, Audiobyte) is the way to go: FPGA(PDM) -> Low Pass Filter

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #2,774 of 8,833
Nice, I'm away from
In terms of Gustard R-26, I have some more experiments coming in next few weeks over the holiday break for the r-26 in my system:

- trying out the Gustard c2 clock cable (Jake and others recommend this)
- power board with emi/rfi filtering, isolation and surge protection (incl LAN)
- power cables upgraded with ferrites (targeting the dac and amp and maybe a basic cable upgrade for clock)
- two different vibration isolation techniques for dac, amp and speakers (dac and amp sit side by side)
- may try that net gear or lhy switch as need one anyway

May make zero difference, may make a little - will see. Some surge protection will be good at the v least
Nice one. Some promising tweaks there. For the next 3 weeks or so I'm away I'm going to be living vicariously, hfi-wise, through impressions such as yours. Keep em coming :)

You can't go wrong with the C2. Sure you can get cheaper good cables (but none I've tried are as good) and you can spend far more. I don't think USD180 is crazy money to spend on top of a DAC / Clock combo nearing 2k cost, but with competitor equivalence of 3K+

Have you tried FMCs yet? If not I'd give that a go. And maybe a linear PS with the Netgear. Or you can just do as I did and say screw it and jump straight to a dedicated switch like the LHY.

I'm also looking at the power side of things in the new year, likely something from Puritan from the UK who seem highly regarded, including by a few folk around here

Dec 21, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #2,775 of 8,833
I'm also looking at the power side of things in the new year, likely something from Puritan from the UK who seem highly regarded, including by a few folk around here
Who ME? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back