GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Dec 14, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #2,506 of 8,959
Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #2,507 of 8,959
If you use fiber optic LAN, why you need LAN isolator too?
I would not use the DeLock lan isolator - it is an "open house" for HF-frequencies. That was measured before in various german audiophile forums.

Dec 14, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #2,509 of 8,959
Why not simply use an USB ethernet adapter on the server pc and provide a dedicated LAN cable directly to the R26 ?
Bridge it with the servers normal ethernet adapter done for a mere $10.
I have NAS too

Dec 14, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #2,510 of 8,959
Why not simply use an USB ethernet adapter on the server pc and provide a dedicated LAN cable directly to the R26 ?
Bridge it with the servers normal ethernet adapter done for a mere $10.

A lot of us here have optimized our networks with Fiber Optic cable using 2 fiber media convertors.
It’s a $200 (with linear power supplies) tweak that is an absolutely remarkable upgrade in sound quality.
I’ll post an article but if you hate to read I can sum up.
Fiber optic cable completely strips and eliminates any noise (rfi and emi) on your Ethernet signal.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/how-to-optimize-digital-streaming-with-optical-fiber/

Dec 14, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #2,511 of 8,959
A lot of us here have optimized our networks with Fiber Optic cable using 2 fiber media convertors.
It’s a $200 (with linear power supplies) tweak that is an absolutely remarkable upgrade in sound quality.
I’ll post an article but if you hate to read I can sum up.
Fiber optic cable completely strips and eliminates any noise (rfi and emi) on your Ethernet signal.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/how-to-optimize-digital-streaming-with-optical-fiber/
This is just wow 😯. So many actions, cables, and devices … this hobby never stops surprising me :)

Dec 14, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #2,512 of 8,959
This is just wow 😯. So many actions, cables, and devices … this hobby never stops surprising me :)

It’s 2 small boxes the size of a pack of smokes.
Only only box needs to be close to the R26. Mines taped to the rear of my entertainment system.
With fiber optic cable you could literally put the other box 1ft - 5 miles away.

Dec 14, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #2,513 of 8,959
Think its more cost effective if you go optical(FMC) between your switch and R26. Costs only €62:
10Gtek a Pair of 1.25G Media Converters(Kit #1), SFP Slot, with a SFP Module, MMF, 850-nm, 550-m
10Gtek OS2 LC a LC Cable patch in fiber duplex 0.5m
Options:
LPS (€129): TOPPING P50 LPS
DC Cable (€13): 2 x CableCC USB to Barrel 2.5mm

IME, the Delock Lan Isolator after the FMC helps a bit more. Its only €22. Throw in some short Cat8 25cm RJ45 cables and your done.

Total cost of MOD: €247

Well that is just a suggestion (since you have already the OCK-1). But best cost effective tweak so far I have tested.
Currently my LAN connection is configured like this: the fiber router is 5 meters away from the DAC and I have a direct network cable (SUPRA CAT 8 STP PATCH FRHF) from the router to the DAC (no external switch). I would like to try with the fiber connection but having to cover 5 meters of distance there would be the problem of the linear power supply. Can I avoid buying 2 linear power supplies? In this case, how do I power the second module located 5 meters from the first?

Dec 14, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #2,514 of 8,959
Currently my LAN connection is configured like this: the fiber router is 5 meters away from the DAC and I have a direct network cable (SUPRA CAT 8 STP PATCH FRHF) from the router to the DAC (no external switch). I would like to try with the fiber connection but having to cover 5 meters of distance there would be the problem of the linear power supply. Can I avoid buying 2 linear power supplies? In this case, how do I power the second module located 5 meters from the first?
You only need a LPS for the module that is next to the DAC.
The principle is simple: the optical conversion removes the noise of the LAN. So, you only need to secure a "silent" zone after the fiber. For that, power the optical to electrical converter with a LPS as well as the audio devices that you use in this zone.

Dec 14, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #2,515 of 8,959
You only need a LPS for the module that is next to the DAC.
The principle is simple: the optical conversion removes the noise of the LAN. So, you only need to secure a "silent" zone after the fiber. For that, power the optical to electrical converter with a LPS as well as the audio devices that you use in this zone.

What do you think if I connect the first module with my 5m Ethernet cable?
This way I would have the two modules close together and a short fiber cable.
Could it be a good solution?

Dec 14, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #2,516 of 8,959
Sta bene (IMO), tranquillo.
It's good (IMO), cool.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #2,517 of 8,959
Wouldn't it be better to have short ethernet cable and use longer optical cable which are immune to interference and are meant for longer runs?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #2,518 of 8,959
@kumar402 answered your question.
The length of the fiber cable is of no importance for such a short distance.

Dec 14, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #2,519 of 8,959

No you want to keep the Ethernet cable as short as possible coming out of the fbm and into the R26.
12-18in. Copper Ethernet can pick up noise and defeat the purpose.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #2,520 of 8,959
No you want to keep the Ethernet cable as short as possible coming out of the fbm and into the R26.
12-18in. Copper Ethernet can pick up noise and defeat the purpose.
the ethernet cable that will come out of the second rx module will be very short. The ethernet cable (5mt) to the first tx module will be the one that comes from the router.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back