GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Nov 25, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #1,846 of 8,833
If I intend to use XLR out direct to my amp are there any settings I need to be aware of on the R26? Is there anything to adjust?
The Gustard only has so much to offer at its retail price , you will very much appreciate using a good volume control in your system , I’m not familiar with your new speakers however I am familiar with your exceptionally good amplifiers.

Nov 25, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #1,847 of 8,833
You must be aware that when you use NOS or DSD on the Gustard, then the DAC bypasses automatically the volume control into "fixed mode" (volume control can not be used), and the whole power goes direct into your amp. You can shut your speakers.
Thanks. That setting I am aware of and I have used / will continue to use the pre amp function until I find a pre that I enjoy. Does the phase invert need to be inabled or disabled?

Nov 25, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #1,849 of 8,833
The Gustard only has so much to offer at its retail price , you will very much appreciate using a good volume control in your system , I’m not familiar with your new speakers however I am familiar with your exceptionally good amplifiers.
Im thinking a nice tube pre like a BAT but I dont want to get too far away from the R26 discussion so I'll leave it there.

Nov 25, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #1,850 of 8,833
Im thinking a nice tube pre like a BAT but I dont want to get too far away from the R26 discussion so I'll leave it there.
What a verity of systems this dac is in ,.

Nov 25, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #1,851 of 8,833
I have been using SR Orange fuse, on R26, amp and preamp for 3 days. Although they are expensive, I think they are a good investment. The sound is better in every way. Clearer sound, more detailed. The biggest gain is better dynamics, especially microdynamics. For example Ray Brown's double bass is timbrally much more correct with SR fuses.
This is not a call to flame opponents, but information for audiophiles who are thinking about purchasing SR fuses.
Unfortunately it is very hard for such claims not to meet an iron wall of opposition (and reason). Audio has always advanced with science and by science. Marketing can wear clothes of science, can create hype but cannot alter the lows of physics.

Nov 25, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #1,852 of 8,833
Unfortunately it is very hard for such claims not to meet an iron wall of opposition (and reason). Audio has always advanced with science and by science. Marketing can wear clothes of science, can create hype but cannot alter the lows of physics.
It is enough to just sit and listen. After that, you stop thinking why it's not possible. You begin to wonder how this is possible.

Nov 25, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #1,853 of 8,833
Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #1,854 of 8,833
Nov 25, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #1,856 of 8,833
Last night I had the opportunity to spend some time at another local audiophiles home comparing the Gustard R26 and Pontus II. This was very fortuitous as these are the two main DAC’s that I’ve been interested in as an upgrade to my Ares II. His system is speaker based and I’ve not heard this particular setup before so I took my AWAS and Gilmore Lite MkII and GRPS so I could listen on something more familiar.

The setup is a pair of the omni-directional Duevel Bella Luna’s powered by a Rogue Audio Pharaoh. The DAC’s are sourced from a Sonore opticalRendu streaming from Tidal/Roon. This setup is in a loft space I’d estimate at 10’ wide x 12’ deep but it could be a bit bigger. There is a half wall that is open to the living room below. Coming up the stairs from the living room below, there is a couch at the top of the stairs on the half wall and another on back wall opposite. The components are on a shelf beside the couch on the back wall with the speakers out a couple of feet in front of the couch on the back wall and a couple of feet in from the back wall. My assumption for the “sweet spot” was the couch on the half wall but I was mistaken, it’s actually the couch on the back wall closest to the speakers.

We first listened to the R26 on this setup and I was absolutely floored. The speakers completely disappeared with the front of the soundstage about where the couch on the half wall, probably 6 to 8 feet behind the speakers, covering the full width of space. Not only was the soundstage jaw dropping, but overall balance, tone and detail were spot on. We listened to number of tracks on the speakers, some I was familiar with some I wasn’t, but it all sounded excellent. I could almost see the performers on the stage. They had space around them, depth where there should be depth and instruments sounded correct to my ear.

This had me pretty excited to hear the R26 with my AWAS so we swapped IC’s to the Gilmore Lite Mk II but ended up being pretty let down. In my setup, the R26 sounded lean a touch on the bright side of what I’m used to hearing via the Ares II. It seemed very “matter of fact” lacking some warmth and tonal richness. I listened to a few of the same songs we had listened to with the Bella Luna’s but that magic just wasn’t there. From here we swapped to the Pontus II which proved to be a much better match, smoother, with richer tone, more overall weight and less aggressive treble.

To cap things off, we then went back to the speaker setup but using the Pontus II instead of the R26. This proved to be quite enlightening. The Pontus II sounded nice, those same characteristics I heard on my headphones showing through but in this case to the detriment of the sound. It was very obvious that the Pontus II is a bit rolled off in the treble and more emphasized in the bass which threw off the balance that seemed almost perfect with the R26. It was also pretty apparent that the Pontus II isn’t quite as accomplished in the technical areas. Again, it sounded very nice and involving in its own way, but for me at least, I lost that sense of being there, if that makes sense.

I came away feeling a bit confused by all this. There’s no doubt in my mind the R26 is the better DAC but the synergy in my setup was not good. If I were to buy one, I think it would need to be paired with a tube amp to bring out some warmth and richness and in the end, maybe never find the right pairing. When I got home, I listened to some of the same tracks with the Ares II and honestly felt like it was best match. Not as smooth as the Pontus II, but seemed to have a weightier, more dynamic sound which brings the AWAS to life. I'm thinking now I might actually try an Ares 12th and see how that compares to the Ares II.

Nov 25, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #1,857 of 8,833
Last night I had the opportunity to spend some time at another local audiophiles home comparing the Gustard R26 and Pontus II. This was very fortuitous as these are the two main DAC’s that I’ve been interested in as an upgrade to my Ares II. His system is speaker based and I’ve not heard this particular setup before so I took my AWAS and Gilmore Lite MkII and GRPS so I could listen on something more familiar.

The setup is a pair of the omni-directional Duevel Bella Luna’s powered by a Rogue Audio Pharaoh. The DAC’s are sourced from a Sonore opticalRendu streaming from Tidal/Roon. This setup is in a loft space I’d estimate at 10’ wide x 12’ deep but it could be a bit bigger. There is a half wall that is open to the living room below. Coming up the stairs from the living room below, there is a couch at the top of the stairs on the half wall and another on back wall opposite. The components are on a shelf beside the couch on the back wall with the speakers out a couple of feet in front of the couch on the back wall and a couple of feet in from the back wall. My assumption for the “sweet spot” was the couch on the half wall but I was mistaken, it’s actually the couch on the back wall closest to the speakers.

We first listened to the R26 on this setup and I was absolutely floored. The speakers completely disappeared with the front of the soundstage about where the couch on the half wall, probably 6 to 8 feet behind the speakers, covering the full width of space. Not only was the soundstage jaw dropping, but overall balance, tone and detail were spot on. We listened to number of tracks on the speakers, some I was familiar with some I wasn’t, but it all sounded excellent. I could almost see the performers on the stage. They had space around them, depth where there should be depth and instruments sounded correct to my ear.

This had me pretty excited to hear the R26 with my AWAS so we swapped IC’s to the Gilmore Lite Mk II but ended up being pretty let down. In my setup, the R26 sounded lean a touch on the bright side of what I’m used to hearing via the Ares II. It seemed very “matter of fact” lacking some warmth and tonal richness. I listened to a few of the same songs we had listened to with the Bella Luna’s but that magic just wasn’t there. From here we swapped to the Pontus II which proved to be a much better match, smoother, with richer tone, more overall weight and less aggressive treble.

To cap things off, we then went back to the speaker setup but using the Pontus II instead of the R26. This proved to be quite enlightening. The Pontus II sounded nice, those same characteristics I heard on my headphones showing through but in this case to the detriment of the sound. It was very obvious that the Pontus II is a bit rolled off in the treble and more emphasized in the bass which threw off the balance that seemed almost perfect with the R26. It was also pretty apparent that the Pontus II isn’t quite as accomplished in the technical areas. Again, it sounded very nice and involving in its own way, but for me at least, I lost that sense of being there, if that makes sense.

I came away feeling a bit confused by all this. There’s no doubt in my mind the R26 is the better DAC but the synergy in my setup was not good. If I were to buy one, I think it would need to be paired with a tube amp to bring out some warmth and richness and in the end, maybe never find the right pairing. When I got home, I listened to some of the same tracks with the Ares II and honestly felt like it was best match. Not as smooth as the Pontus II, but seemed to have a weightier, more dynamic sound which brings the AWAS to life. I'm thinking now I might actually try an Ares 12th and see how that compares to the Ares II.
Great write up!

It could be that the Denefrips gear might just synergise well with your current equipment. If it ain’t broke, why fix it?

Some things to think about though:

• Did you try changing the filter settings on the Gustard? They do make a (smaller) difference to the SQ - i am wondering was it set to fast.
  • Extended listening is also important in my view - it can take a few days to settle into a new system and decide whether it’s for you.

Sounds like the Denefrips gears might just synergise well with your current equipment. If it ain’t broke, why fix it?

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #1,858 of 8,833

What's an Ares 12th? How does it differ from the Ares II?

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #1,859 of 8,833

Having an Ares II already will be giving a little bias as you know your system. I'd recommend a bit more burn in for either of the other options before final judgements. I had this experience twice with the R26 and May so it's unfortunately a thing I have personally experienced. How do I know? I started with a 4-6 db bass shelf for the first week or so and ended up half that. With the May, it was 3-4db low shelf from first day/week I had it to now over 700hrs. and it's incredible at .75db.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #1,860 of 8,833
Having an Ares II already will be giving a little bias as you know your system. I'd recommend a bit more burn in for either of the other options before final judgements. I had this experience twice with the R26 and May so it's unfortunately a thing I have personally experienced. How do I know. I started with a 4-6 db bass shelf for the first week or so and ended up half that. With the May, it was 3-4db low shelf from first day/week I had it to now over 700hrs. and it's incredible at .75db.
How do you think the Gustard and Holo compare otherwise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back