GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Nov 22, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #1,741 of 8,955
I will be making a DIY I2S cable to test on the input of the R26 from a RPi3+ (bypass of internal fuse on the power supply) using HAT's - Allo Isolator with Kali + Shanti LPS twin supply for Pi and Kali and Isolator with LiPo batteries.

If this works well I'll post the instructions for those interested. I'll start with cannibalising an existing HDMI cable to work out the pin configuration required then once established make a pure silver/teflon insulated version with high quality connectors.

Will be worth it to compare a quality streamer like the RPi with the internal LAN input using Audirvana on Mac, Bubble upnp or Mconnect. Moode Audio is a well proven, well sorted RPi interface which I know delivers the goods. Declock would be interesting to try with Pi too.
You can assemble more easily such streamer (with a RBi3 + an I2S reclocker + an audio interface with an I2S output + eventually power on batteries and many other options) with the electronic boards of Ian Canada.

EDIT
The options are endless, and these electronic boards were all designed to be compatible with the others and to work together: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/227_ian-canada

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #1,742 of 8,955
You can assemble more easily such streamer (with a RBi3 + an I2S reclocker + an audio interface with an I2S output + eventually power on batteries) with the electronic boards of Ian Canada.
Yes I'm familiar with Ian's products, very nice, been on many forums together. I actually have all of the Rpi streamer built already in my own testing chassis. Just need the custom I2S cable as Gustard do things a bit differently. Will report back asap.

Nov 22, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #1,743 of 8,955
I will be making a DIY I2S cable to test on the input of the R26 from a RPi3+ (bypass of internal fuse on the power supply) using HAT's - Allo Isolator with Kali + Shanti LPS twin supply for Pi and Kali and Isolator with LiPo batteries.

If this works well I'll post the instructions for those interested. I'll start with cannibalising an existing HDMI cable to work out the pin configuration required then once established make a pure silver/teflon insulated version with high quality connectors.

Will be worth it to compare a quality streamer like the RPi with the internal LAN input using Audirvana on Mac, Bubble upnp or Mconnect. Moode Audio is a well proven, well sorted RPi interface which I know delivers the goods. Declock would be interesting to try with Pi too.
This is something really interesting and I would like to know the outcome.
The Digi one signature is one of my favorite streamers.

Nov 22, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #1,744 of 8,955
...One way to keep it going is to ask how does it compare with the Chord Qutest (my main dac for almost two years now) which is in the same price range. Sorry if this has been discussed earlier somewhere. I am truly curious if I can find anything audibly better for the same money or a little more. Has anyone compared these two?
Unfortunately I can't contribute more as I have no experience with the qutest.

Nov 22, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #1,746 of 8,955
This is something really interesting and I would like to know the outcome.
The Digi one signature is one of my favorite streamers.
Yes the DigOne is marvellous, best Spdif output I've experienced with all the necessary power supply additions and tweaks to the Pi board + bypass of internal fuse (that was a surprise) You have to bypass the DC-DC converter on the DigiOne board itself too and feed it direct - way better resolution and blackness to the presentation..... I'm a bit anal on Rpi stuff TBH.

But I came to the conclusion after using all Allo boards including USBridge, it was good though, that the best theoretical way to feed a DAC is using I2S (as used in the good old CD transport to DAC) as there's no mucking about with the signal, just transference, so cable length is important. That's why I'm excited to try the R26 on the I2S input.

I think I may end up agreeing with Ichos that the internal streamer can be improved.......... maybe

Nov 22, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #1,748 of 8,955
For all those who have the problem of whistling, hissing, high tone. I solved when I don't listen by setting the clock as external. No noise both on and in stand by. When I purchase the external clock it will be perfect.
I'm using an external clock and the high pitch tone, only heared while in stand by mode, is still there although is very slight and only noticed when you put your ear at a few cm of the front panel

Nov 22, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #1,749 of 8,955
Something interesting I just noticed on the I2S pinout. When I purchased the Gustard U18 ddc a couple of weeks ago, it had four pinout options for I2S. The first option was for all Gustard dacs. On that option pin 18 carried a 5v current, which is odd since the R26 and X26 don’t require this 5v on pin 18. Now when I look on the U18 info page, pin 18 no longer has a 5v output on it. When I built a diy I2S cable for the R26, I left out pin 18 and it worked just fine. They must have changed this in the last couple of weeks. It’s my understanding that it’s better to not have this 5v current running the length of your I2S cable since it will cause interference with the other 18 or so conductors.

Nov 22, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #1,750 of 8,955
Something interesting I just noticed on the I2S pinout. When I purchased the Gustard U18 ddc a couple of weeks ago, it had four pinout options for I2S. The first option was for all Gustard dacs. On that option pin 18 carried a 5v current, which is odd since the R26 and X26 don’t require this 5v on pin 18. Now when I look on the U18 info page, pin 18 no longer has a 5v output on it. When I built a diy I2S cable for the R26, I left out pin 18 and it worked just fine. They must have changed this in the last couple of weeks. It’s my understanding that it’s better to not have this 5v current running the length of your I2S cable since it will cause interference with the other 18 or so conductors.
Very helpful Jack thanks

Nov 22, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #1,754 of 8,955
When playing directly from NAS to DAC (MinimServer), my Android, BubbleUPnP finds Gustarender 1v3. And it plays all formats and all native resolutions. GustarenderUSB is not visible, like when I play from a Roon computer. Is that OK?
It plays well, although a little differently than the Roon. The only thing is that after each track it turns off the play, so at the end of one track and at the beginning of the second track there is a crackling sound. When it switches to DSD, very loud.
Edit: I have to conclude, disappointed, that the sound is still better for me through the Roon, than directly from the NAS. It's a pity, if the NAS was close, I would save the computer, network and power cable. And Roon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-11-22-20-53-13-264_com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-11-22-20-53-13-264_com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #1,755 of 8,955
Happily playing the Gustard R26 over LAN, using Foobar player with Foo_out_upnp.
Foo_out_upnp finds two UPnP endpoint devices for it:
  • UPnP : Gustardrender-1v3
  • DSD : UPnP : Gustardrender-1v3
I've got the latter selected, as the first won't play DSD I think, at least the display will show 176 kHz or so playing DSD64
No buffering issues; it plays DSD256 happily.
When I pull the ethernet cable from the local ethernet switch, it will keep playing music for several seconds !

Got 2x Delock Network Isolators 6 kV RJ45 with 25 cm CAT7 S/FTP cables in series !
But honestly, I haven't heard a difference with or without these :relaxed:
Similarly, haven't noticed burn in effects, and certainly don't trust my auditory memory.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back