GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Nov 1, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #1,066 of 8,833
If not, should I buy a DDC or a reclock?
You must mean external clock. A DDC is a reclocker. If you use primarily USB for your DAC input, IMHO I'd get a U18 (now onsale BTW) and take advantage of the I2S output. It's a great bang for the buck in SQ improvement. If you don't use USB much then get an external clock. The C18 is also on sale a couple hundred off currently. Or if you have deeper pockets I see that Mutec makes great clocks but are rather pricey.

Nov 1, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #1,067 of 8,833
Have you heard another discrete R2R design? Maybe you are accustomed to delta sigma "flat" sound and the way more spatial and open sound that is the trade mark of discrete R2R designs it´s so shocking to you that you felt as "phasey".
Anyway if you think the sound is in some way processed by some kind of DSP It would be rather easy to a pro like you to perform some tests to check this. By the way I know what "phasey" sound is like and I didn´t hear the slightest of the issue you describe here. Just a way open and airier sound than any of the TOTL delta sigma converters that I´ve heard to date.

One of the differences I noticed between the R26 and X26P was that the R26 sounded more diffused on initial listen. I could say more spread out in the bass as another way to describe it. A characteristic that could boil down to how each transducer portrays itself or just a different presentation trait. One could prefer one over the other. But, one thing for sure is I would not prefer to listen to either without an HQP filter to tailor the sound, as I found I favored different filters for each dac.

Nov 1, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #1,068 of 8,833
You must mean external clock. A DDC is a reclocker. If you use primarily USB for your DAC input, IMHO I'd get a U18 (now onsale BTW) and take advantage of the I2S output. It's a great bang for the buck in SQ improvement. If you don't use USB much then get an external clock. The C18 is also on sale a couple hundred off currently. Or if you have deeper pockets I see that Mutec makes great clocks but are rather pricey.
I use a CD player Nuprime CDT8 pro

Nov 1, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #1,072 of 8,833
So theoretically you can burn it with moode OS in order to improve performance.
The processor is not that powerful. But who knows.

Actually i think @NoaHimesaka is already cooking something... care to share?

Nov 1, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #1,073 of 8,833
Has anyone found out what depth and sample rate the R26 works with when in OS mode?

Nov 1, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #1,075 of 8,833
You're CDT8 Pro has only digital outputs, therefore a DDC is not required (uses USB as input). Unless you plan your DAPs as source (via USB).
Don't know the incremental change if you place in the C18 clock in your system.
Do suggest one part at a time.

Nov 1, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #1,076 of 8,833
That's what I thought thank you.
In fact I will keep the Pontus II for listening to headphones and therefore by usb.
The gustard will be for hi-fi...
Maybe I should take the U18 for the Pontus II...

Nov 1, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #1,077 of 8,833
You're CDT8 Pro has only digital outputs, therefore a DDC is not required (uses USB as input). Unless you plan your DAPs as source (via USB).
Don't know the incremental change if you place in the C18 clock in your system.
Do suggest one part at a time.
Agree with your point re DDC 'not required' here, but I'd just add it is theoretically possible to use the Audio-Gd DI20 DDC here with the spdif output of the CDT8 Pro as it has a spdif input alongside the usual usb one.

Also agree re one change at a time. I'd suggest starting with just the R26 & CDT8 Pro, using a decent I2S cable, if you don't already have one (eg. BJC FE).

Then, being a recent external clock convert (LHY OCK-1 with reportedly same or better phase noise @ 1hz offset than the C18) I'd recommend trying one, I find it nicely elevates the R26's sound as well as that of the U18 DDC.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #1,078 of 8,833
What is the best connection directly to a computer if I'm using Tidal. I just ordered a AudioQuest Carbon usb c to b cable, but I see a lot of you talking about ethernet too. I don't have an external clock yet.

One thing that I've noticed is that when playing Tidal if I skip in forward in the track there can be a little pop type of sound. It is pretty loud and sort of annoying. Has anyone else heard this? Maybe it is an unavoidable element of r2r?

Last question: what are the advantages you all hear sonically going to Roon? I tried it for a while but ended up sticking with Tidal because I liked the discovery systems better in the interface and I wasn't hearing a big difference previously.

Nov 1, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #1,080 of 8,833
Using the Gustard with the Enleum 23r driving TeKton Lore speakers soundstage imaging was spectacular, it was easy by minor speaker placement to make the speakers disappear leaving that illusion of sound to emanate out of thin air in front and sides of the speaker though the stage was wide not so deep the cost of the speakers and dac is the astonishing part of it all , huge bang for buck Gustard dac and TeKton speakers .
How is the pairing of the Gustard and the Enleum for headphones? I'm leaning toward a SET tube amp, but I've heard the Enleum is warmer with a tube-like midrange.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back