GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Oct 31, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #1,036 of 8,955
This isnt the thread or forum to go into this. Your are a smart guy. Go educate yourself. Dont belief the myths propagated on forums. Just cause they get repeated lots dosent mean they are true. Look at the sampling theorem and measurements. Enjoy.
This is from Texas Instruments: "If you use the PCM1792A's digital volume control, the DAC simply multiplies the data stream by a coefficient of less than one, i.e. you lose bits. With the PGA2320 working in the analog domain, you don't lose bits but you add distortion and noise not just from the PGA2320 but from the input buffer and output buffer (a must when using the PGA2320). Your board is now more complicated and you now have at another mixed signal device that you'll have to carefully plan your ground planes and power delivery/regulation for." They might have some knowledge of these things...

Oct 31, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #1,037 of 8,955
I have done running this for over 500 hours and still running. I'm using LAN mode and damn this is great. It's more refined and smooth. It's perfect and bang-for-the-buck DAC for me. Bass is rich and plenty thumpy, mids has great texture, highs are shiny. Just how I like it.
Side note: I'm trying to run more mainline chenxing Linux kernel on streamer, but this is blocked due to issues with SDIO.

Oct 31, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #1,038 of 8,955
Thank you. I highly appreciate people who have knowledge. Without them, we wouldn't have HiFi devices. Theoretical knowledge and measurement are essential in component development and we all respect that. One constructor in the attempt, otherwise a top repairer of HiFi components (btw. he fixed my Audio Aero Prima CD player, which the factory in France returned as irreparable), always contested the influence of less important elements.
He was right in many ways. Especially when he explained that a bad component will not become better if we install the most expensive capacitors, wires and connectors. That the most important thing is good construction.
However, when he was developing the DAC, he heard a difference in the sound when he switched the power socket. He said, do I have to take care of that too? Of course, the quality of construction is by far the most important, we all agree.
But even small differences brought about by elements such as the mentioned isolator, can significantly affect the quality of the performance. Although it may be difficult to explain sometimes.

Oct 31, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #1,039 of 8,955
Thank you. I highly appreciate people who have knowledge. Without them, we wouldn't have HiFi devices. Theoretical knowledge sand measurement are essential in component development and we all respect that. One constructor in the attempt, otherwise a top repairer of HiFi components (btw. he fixed my Audio Aero Prima CD player, which the factory in France returned as irreparable), always contested the influence of less important elements.
He was right in many ways. Especially when he explained that a bad component will not become better if we install the most expensive capacitors, wires and connectors. That the most important thing is good construction.
However, when he was developing the DAC, he heard a difference in the sound when he switched the power socket. He said, do I have to take care of that too? Of course, the quality of construction is by far the most important, we all agree.
But even small differences brought about by elements such as the mentioned isolator, can significantly affect the quality of the performance. Although it may be difficult to explain sometimes.
As someone with tweakitis, I will perform a tweak if it seems logical, and if enough people have reported benefits, especially people I trust. I don't usually expect a big wow with most of the tweaks/mods, but work under the assumption that they're cumulative. It's easy to dismiss a little mod when the payoff isn't what is expected, but it may actually be improving performance just a wee bit and be below the threshold of perception. I've had a few people say recently "what have you done?", when it's just been a bunch of little things. When I say small tweaks, I mean stuff like the Delock, better isolation of components, maybe a cable here and there, and mods usually involve solder, like replacing stock binding posts and RCA jacks with low mass, pure copper (rather than the stock brass door knockers), cap upgrades, etc. The main thing is, it's fun to f*#k with stuff and it's even cheaper than a bad fishing habit.

Oct 31, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #1,040 of 8,955
Gustard needed just -3dB didigtal for volume matching which is inconsequential.
I can't agree on that, at least on my system, even 1db on volume adjusted downwards affect the sound quality and dynamics, of course YMMV.

Besides, NOS performs better on my system and there is no volume control in NOS anyway.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #1,042 of 8,955
Hi all.
This is first post from me.
Sorry for Eng.
I bought Gustard R26 in September. All functions work great. All types of files including MQA/DSD512/PCM 32x768 are reproduced without problems.
DAC was connected via LAN and via USB.
Now about setup and sound.
USB Source is Raspberry pi4 based audio player. http://albumplayer.ru/linux/english.html
LAN - ROON/TIDAL
The reference DAC for me is RME ADi2 pro(AK4490 inside). My speakers JBL studio 590 and Quested 2180 active studio monitors. Amplifier yamaha PC2002m. All connections is balanced.
I found sound that I could not fully understand.
Cristal Hight and 3D around speakers. More that possible….Not a truth. This is not a stereo sound…I hear like DOLBY headphones works in my room. Not on my head. From my speakers In my room.
There is clear for me what phase non-linearity in the sound of the Gustard.
Parts of the spectrum above 3 kilohertz have false source locations. Part of some spectrum are sharply masked. Inverted phase???
This is BOOM my head. Checked all cables. All fine.
As if a processing algorithm similar to a dynamic compressor and virtualizer is working.
It's interesting for the first half hour. WOW affect is present. But after this Brain not accept this.
Changing sources has no effect. Changing speakers affects the sound but does not fix it.
Studio monitors working like microscope and show catastrophic errors. Iit's not a real truth sound. This is a very bad interpretation. Returning to the RME ADI2 Pro instantly puts everything in its place.
My opinion.
DAC have a completely artificial sound. He is able to surprise from the first notes.
You can get the first wonderful emotions and wow effect but it's impossible to hear.
p.s
new 1.3 firmware not changed the sound.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #1,043 of 8,955
I think you have a big problem...
The Pontus II is better than the rme and le R26 is the same quality than the Pontus II 🤔

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #1,045 of 8,955
Hi all.
Sorry for Eng.
I bought Gustard R26 in September. All functions work great. All types of files including MQA/DSD512/PCM 32x768 are reproduced without problems.
USB Source is Raspberry pi4 based audio player. http://albumplayer.ru/linux/english.html
LAN - ROON/TIDAL
The reference DAC for me is RME ADi2 pro(AK4490 inside). My speakers JBL studio 590 and Quested 2180 active studio monitors. Amplifier yamaha PC2002m. All connections is balanced.
Cristal Hight and 3D around speakers. More that possible….Not a truth. This is not a stereo sound…I hear like DOLBY headphones works in my room. Not on my head. From my speakers In my room.
Parts of the spectrum above 3 kilohertz have false source locations. Part of some spectrum are sharply masked. Inverted phase???
As if a processing algorithm similar to a dynamic compressor and virtualizer is working.
It's interesting for the first half hour. WOW affect is present. But after this Brain not accept this.
Changing sources has no effect. Changing speakers affects the sound but does not fix it.
Studio monitors working like microscope and show catastrophic errors. Iit's not a real truth sound. This is a very bad interpretation. Returning to the RME ADI2 Pro instantly puts everything in its place.
My opinion.
DAC have a completely artificial sound. He is able to surprise from the first notes.
You can get the first wonderful emotions and wow effect but it's impossible to hear.
p.s
I can't hear what you described with me. To me, for example, cymbals sound much more natural, metallic, than with the previous DAC with Sabre chips. And similar to the Krell SACD player.
But I may be wrong.
Maybe you should try a third proven quality DAC? Or with an analog source for comparison.

Nov 1, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #1,046 of 8,955
Obviously smth is wrong with the R26 player. Bring it to friend and try it out in his/her setup. Differences between DACs are often very small, so what you are experiencing is out of the ordinary.

Nov 1, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #1,047 of 8,955
All sources is digital. My ears still on analog head:)))
Part of my work is old Vinyl and Tape restoration. Analog to digital transfer with many next steps in Izotop RX. And for me professional ADC DAC RME today is industry standart without look on the price.
With Gustard R26 sound is more acceptable when volume is OFF by menu. PCM NOS and PCM digital filter is Slow.

Nov 1, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #1,048 of 8,955
All sources is digital. My ears still on analog head:)))
Part of my work is old Vinyl and Tape restoration. Analog to digital transfer with many next steps in Izotop RX. And for me professional ADC DAC RME today is industry standart without look on the price.
With Gustard R26 sound is more acceptable when volume is OFF by menu. PCM NOS and PCM digital filter is Slow.
Yes, the DAC works much better when the volume is fixed. Digital attenuation is just a necessary evil.
What I like best about the R26 is the timbre of the instruments and vocals. Sounds more analog than chip DACs. And it's more dynamic.
I have a fast and very transparent amplifier and speakers, so maybe that's why the R2R sound suits me.
As for the stage, I really can't hear those distortions you mention. But that's just my ears.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #1,049 of 8,955
Hi all.
Sorry for Eng.
LAN - ROON/TIDAL
My opinion.
p.s
Have you heard another discrete R2R design? Maybe you are accustomed to delta sigma "flat" sound and the way more spatial and open sound that is the trade mark of discrete R2R designs it´s so shocking to you that you felt as "phasey".
Anyway if you think the sound is in some way processed by some kind of DSP It would be rather easy to a pro like you to perform some tests to check this. By the way I know what "phasey" sound is like and I didn´t hear the slightest of the issue you describe here. Just a way open and airier sound than any of the TOTL delta sigma converters that I´ve heard to date.

Nov 1, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #1,050 of 8,955
Flat sound of a chip base dac VS R2R it’s all in the implementation my WarWick system certainly doesn’t sound flat as does DCS Bartok and Merason Dac I have listened to .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back