GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Oct 19, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #841 of 8,955
Price wise- it is an unfair comparison, but the basic technology and general direction--R2R, FPGA, I2s input, External clock input is very similar. The audio-gd HE line is stunning and may be equal to components in the highest echelons of hi-fi (like 20K and higher dacs)- but they are so big- and so heavy. Just to much for a headphone system.
I agree but it would still be good to hear the comparison; it's similar to saying (like above) "the Gustard R26 may be equal to components in higher echelons of hi-fi"; while it shouldn't; there has been some promising comments that it could be flirting with components twice-three times it's price. Like the above review between it and the Denefrips Venus but more info and time will tell.

For sure the Audio-GD is serious gear and has a large foot print (really well made) that caters more to big rig set-up's where footprint concerns take less of a priority. The R28 headphone amp/DAC/analog preamp is also big compared to the RME and Burson GT but the Audio-GD R28 stays and the others are destined to secondary rigs; the RME is cute, well designed and does have it's own plus's but the R28 R2R is preferred and hence very curious about the Gustard R26

Oct 19, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #845 of 8,955
I agree but it would still be good to hear the comparison; it's similar to saying (like above) "the Gustard R26 may be equal to components in higher echelons of hi-fi"; while it shouldn't; there has been some promising comments that it could be flirting with components twice-three times it's price. Like the above review between it and the Denefrips Venus but more info and time will tell.

For sure the Audio-GD is serious gear and has a large foot print (really well made) that caters more to big rig set-up's where footprint concerns take less of a priority. The R28 headphone amp/DAC/analog preamp is also big compared to the RME and Burson GT but the Audio-GD R28 stays and the others are destined to secondary rigs; the RME is cute, well designed and does have it's own plus's but the R28 R2R is preferred and hence very curious about the Gustard R26
You said you have the burson c 3x GT. Assume this is the Burson Conductor 3xGT? How are you finding the Audio-GT with the burson conductor 3x GT? My understanding that any upstream source gets sent through the burson’s DAC and therefore I’d largely dismissed using up stream sources on this unit as I’d assumed the benefits of the upstream source would be negated.

If you found otherwise, this would actually change the value prop around here Gustard for me (if it beats the burson’s own DAC), as I could use the Gustard in both a speaker and HP set up.

Oct 19, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #846 of 8,955
I sold Audio-gd di20he + r27 2021 for the Gustard r26.

Thanks for sharing this interesting comparison between these two Chinese discrete R2R DAC's that are in a similar price bracket. Did you end up having both DAC's together at the same time to A-B directly or did you go off memory?

I wonder what sounded different for you with the Gustard R26 over the Audio-gd combo? Do you listen more or listen to different music now? Thanks again :)

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #847 of 8,955
You said you have the burson c 3x GT. Assume this is the Burson Conductor 3xGT? How are you finding the Audio-GT with the burson conductor 3x GT? My understanding that any upstream source gets sent through the burson’s DAC and therefore I’d largely dismissed using up stream sources on this unit as I’d assumed the benefits of the upstream source would be negated.

If you found otherwise, this would actually change the value prop around here Gustard for me (if it beats the burson’s own DAC), as I could use the Gustard in both a speaker and HP set up.
We should try to stay on topic of the Gustard R26 and this is a TLDR post but Yes, I have a 3xGT and directly compared it heavily recently to the Audio-GD '22 R28 R2R DAC/HA and (RME FS Pro). They both have there own flavors, and their pluses & miunus's; so please take my opinion with tiny grains of salt and mileage will vary depending on your rig and music taste; and I do generally favor R2R DAC's. I listened to these two mainly with speakers in a dedicated treated sound room with a desk directly connected to the amp using the preamp section in the DAC; I'm finding myself much more interested now a days in only using speakers than cans, I can peacefully crank music through speakers whenever I want to and as loud as I like all day long and my opinion is based using speakers only and not using cans (which is quite different) although I have used them with my LCD-X's,. I have found that I prefer the Audio-GD, not by much but it was distinctive enough for me hear more imaging, larger soundstage, layers and it sounds more even through the highs, mid and lows. While the R28 was a little darker than the Burson but almost as fast but not quite, R28 is a bit more musical and more captivating; I will listen to it much longer (the litmus test); both are not fatiguing and both can sound nice. One distinctive thing I was able to hear was much information in cymbals and lower highs with the Burson, they really popped out and the bass was good & tight and prominent but perhaps as whole the sound was a little pear shaped. The 3xGT is back in it's package, plus I'm definitely not a fan of it's USB-C only input. I also really, really like the Audio-GD analog preamp section and I'm listening a lot to my Sansui TU-555 FM Tuner sitting on my desk and it sounds great with it's analog preamp section, also works well with my Moon Audio CD transport. I've used them with a Bryston 4B3 & White Audio 250w mono amps using recent B&W 801 D's (imaging challenged) and Totem Mani-2's. Streaming with Auralic Aries, dedicated Mac Mini and a NAS. I've also had the Aqua La Scala DAC and perhaps it has the edge and very nice but more $$$ and just a DAC and did not directly compare it but the Aqua was slightly better than the Rockna. For the price I found the Audio-GD R28 to be an excellent, massive bang for the buck. It's a bit of a swiss army knife and not too expensive. Also have a Audio-GB NFB-28 DAC-Pre which is very similar, slightly not as resolving but can be found for significantly less.

The reason why I'm so interested in the R2R Gustard R26 is that I'm now much more interested in having a DAC separate from my headphone amp as I don't use my cans nearly as much and don't see the reason of having them together in the same box as a DAC and turned on the whole time; plus a good Class A head amps are heaters and having the LAN to me is preferable; as USB can definitely be a jitter bug that requires more gear & hassle to tame. I would like to avoid using USB in the chain if I can. I think LAN DAC's with a good preamp (for me analog) and no headphone amp will become more popular.

I could use the R26 as a LAN DAC only, going to an analog preamp or use the digital preamp inside going directly to amp and the price is definitely fitting in a nice niche when comparing it to other R2R's with similar SQ and features.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #848 of 8,955
We should try to stay on topic of the Gustard R26 and this is a TLDR post but Yes, I have a 3xGT and directly compared it heavily recently to the Audio-GD '22 R28 R2R DAC/HA and (RME FS Pro). They both have there own flavors, their pluses and miunus's so please take my opinion with a grain of salt and mileage will vary depending on your rig and music taste; and I do favor R2R DAC's. I listen to them mainly with speakers in a dedicated treated sound room with a desk directly connected to the amp using the preamp section in the DAC; I'm finding myself much more interested now a days in only using speakers than cans, I can peacefully crank music whenever I want to and as loud as I like all day long and my opinion is based using speakers only and not using cans (which is quite different) although I have used them with my LCD-X's,. I have found that I prefer the Audio-GD, not by much but it was distinctive enough for me hear more imaging, larger soundstage, layers and it sounds more even through the highs, mid and lows. While the R28 was a little darker than the Burson but almost as fast but nit quite, R28 is a bit more musical and more captivating; I will listen to it much longer (the litmus test); both are not fatiguing and both can sound nice. One distinctive thing I was able to hear was much information in cymbals and lower highs with the Burson, they really popped out and the bass was good & tight and prominent but perhaps as whole the sound was a little pear shaped. The 3xGT is back in it's package, plus I'm definitely not a fan of it's USB-C only input. I also really, really like the Audio-GD analog preamp section and I'm listening a lot to my Sansui TU-555 FM Tuner sitting on my desk and it sounds great with it's analog preamp section, also works well with my Moon Audio CD transport. I've used them with a Bryston 4B3 & White Audio 250w mono amps using recent B&W 801 D's and Totem Mani-2's. Streaming with Auralic box, dedicated Mac Mini and a NAS. I've also had the Aqua La Scala DAC and perhaps it has the edge and very nice but more $$$ and just a DAC and was not directly comparing. For the price I found the Audio-GD R28 to be excellent, massive bang for the buck.

The reason why I'm so interested in the R2R Gustard R26 is that I'm now much more interested in having a DAC separate from my headphone amp as I don't use my cans nearly as much and don't see the reason of having them together in the same box as a DAC and turned on the whole time; plus a good Class A head amps are heaters and having the LAN to me is preferable; as USB can definitely be a jitter bug that requires more gear & hassle to tame. I would like to avoid using USB in the chain if I can. I think LAN DAC's with a good preamp (for me analog) and no headphone amp will become more popular.

I could use the R26 as a LAN DAC only, going to an analog preamp or use the digital preamp inside going directly to amp and the price is definitely fitting in a nice niche when comparing it to other R2R's with similar SQ and features.
This is super helpful - thank you. I use both speakers and cans and validates some of the reasons why I am also looking at the R26.

Oct 20, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #849 of 8,955
With r26 I found the same musicality as the audiogd combo with a more polished and detailed sound that also offers a better soundstage in depth. I play the same music with more plasure. I did some a-b tests and only after these tests did I decide to sell audiogd

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #850 of 8,955
With r26 I found the same musicality as the audiogd combo with a more polished and detailed sound that also offers a better soundstage in depth. I play the same music with more plasure. I did some a-b tests and only after these tests did I decide to sell audiogd
What exactly is the AudioGD device?

Oct 20, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #852 of 8,955
Many audiophiles often use the term musicality of HiFi components. That term is good when used in our jargon to clarify something. However, that notion is fundamentally incorrect.
If we don't understand the context, it can lead us down the wrong path.
HiFi components transmit the signal, transform information data into a digital audio signal, then other components transform that signal into an analog audio signal, amplifiers amplify it and then speakers or headphones convert it into sound pressure. None of that has anything to do with musicality.
What designers face is how to convert that signal from one form to another, how to amplify it, or convert it into sound air pressure - with as little distortion as possible. This is all.
All HiFi components create distortion, even cables. Better components create less distortion. Regardless of whether we sent a music, speech, or noise signal to the speakers. The best components create less distortion.
But since there is always distortion, we users can choose whether we want an expensive device with less distortion, or a cheaper one with more distortion. Within the price range, we can choose which type of distortions we can live with more easily. For some, correct timbre is more important, for others, better dynamics, or microdynamics, etc.
In the cheaper classes of devices, manufacturers themselves create the so-called the sound of the house. Thus, certain types of distortions are emphasized, in order to differentiate themselves from other brands and create their users, people who find this type of distortion more acceptable than some other type of distortion. E.g. Naim previously, especially in cheaper models, built a very dynamic, but flat sound. In the case of more expensive models, this flatness decreased.
The point is that HiFi components cannot be musical, quality is measured only by precision.
Maybe I'm writing things that many people are aware of, but I'm writing for those who haven't thought that way before. And it's important to understand that.
Sorry for the off topic. But this also applies to the choice of DAC.

Oct 20, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #853 of 8,955
Many audiophiles often use the term musicality of HiFi components. That term is good when used in our jargon to clarify something. However, that notion is fundamentally incorrect.
If we don't understand the context, it can lead us down the wrong path.
HiFi components transmit the signal, transform information data into a digital audio signal, then other components transform that signal into an analog audio signal, amplifiers amplify it and then speakers or headphones convert it into sound pressure. None of that has anything to do with musicality.
What designers face is how to convert that signal from one form to another, how to amplify it, or convert it into sound air pressure - with as little distortion as possible. This is all.
All HiFi components create distortion, even cables. Better components create less distortion. Regardless of whether we sent a music, speech, or noise signal to the speakers. The best components create less distortion.
But since there is always distortion, we users can choose whether we want an expensive device with less distortion, or a cheaper one with more distortion. Within the price range, we can choose which type of distortions we can live with more easily. For some, correct timbre is more important, for others, better dynamics, or microdynamics, etc.
In the cheaper classes of devices, manufacturers themselves create the so-called the sound of the house. Thus, certain types of distortions are emphasized, in order to differentiate themselves from other brands and create their users, people who find this type of distortion more acceptable than some other type of distortion. E.g. Naim previously, especially in cheaper models, built a very dynamic, but flat sound. In the case of more expensive models, this flatness decreased.
The point is that HiFi components cannot be musical, quality is measured only by precision.
Maybe I'm writing things that many people are aware of, but I'm writing for those who haven't thought that way before. And it's important to understand that.
Sorry for the off topic. But this also applies to the choice of DAC.
Well said Forgisound, the only slight exception I might have is the equation that more cost=less distortion. I've owned modestly priced pieces (for example THX AAA 789) with extremely low distortion, and to me it sounded dead as a doormat. On the other hand, we have tube amplification, full of harmonic distortions of all caliber, and depending on topology and tube selection, the sound can be dialed in to the user's liking. As you say, all components create distortion, even our brains. I consider it a part of organic life, and therefore not necessarily bad. It's part of music, even in live venues. Maybe especially in live venues. It can be beautiful. There are tiny phase and timing anomolies in music reproduction that color sound, I can't grasp all of it, but somehow, sometimes, the right combination of "errors" just makes things sound very pleasing. I for one am happy there's so much mystery and complexity to this audio world. The best designers/engineers seem to accept this, and control what they can, or what interests them. When someone says the sound of a system or component is musical, or "euphonic" I know that's not a scientific or technical parameter, but I grok what they're saying intuitively. Could be a great discussion in another thread ie "what does it mean when a component is musical"
I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to add a bit to what you said.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #854 of 8,955
I wanted to ask for some counseling on how to connect to the R26 by ethernet direct.

I do not use Roon. I need to use Amazon Music because they have the type of library I enjoy.

Do I connect my router direct to the R26 with ethernet cable and if so how do I control my music choices if I don't have a PC?

My fanless PC has two ethernet ports. Can I use it to receive files from my router on one port and send out through the other port to the R26?

I would appreciate everyone's help....

Oct 20, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #855 of 8,955
I wanted to ask for some counseling on how to connect to the R26 by ethernet direct.

I do not use Roon. I need to use Amazon Music because they have the type of library I enjoy.

Do I connect my router direct to the R26 with ethernet cable and if so how do I control my music choices if I don't have a PC?

My fanless PC has two ethernet ports. Can I use it to receive files from my router on one port and send out through the other port to the R26?

I would appreciate everyone's help....
Amazon does not supply an API. Therefore you can't use it.
I'd avoid Amazon in every other case, too...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back