GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
May 14, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #5,881 of 8,833
Hello,
I have the R26 connected to the Su2 via hdmi cable I2S.
Does anyone know how to connect this via Bnc?

I have a 10 mhz connection with input on both units.
I have connected the Bnc cable to the Su 2 10 mhz in and connected it to the coax input on the R26 but nothing happens.
I assume the Clk connection is also wrong on the Su 2 when it is set to output?

I have no idea how to connect it.

May 14, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #5,882 of 8,833
Hello,

I have connected the Bnc cable to the Su 2 10 mhz in and connected it to the coax input on the R26 but nothing happens.

10 mHz BNC ports have nothing to do with SPDIF BNC ports.
They are there to receive a 10 mHz input from an external clock, not to transfer sound between the devices.

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #5,884 of 8,833
Okay, so do I have to connect both with a Bnc on the cable?
If you want to use the 10 mhz.
For a use with an external clock, you don't connect the DDC to the DAC. You connect each of them to the clock.
Connect the BNC input of the DDC to an output of the clock, and connect the BNC input of the DAC to another output of the clock.

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #5,885 of 8,833
I've done the v1.42 upgrade, apparently successfully as with previous upgrades that I've done. However, the R26 tells me that it is now running v1.3. I'm confused, as it's still showing the settings from previous v1.4 upgrade (larger text, no flashing light etc). How can I check if the 1.42 update has installed, should it now show v1.42, or is v 1.3 correct??
Confused.....
My understanding is v1.42 is the renderer fw update, has no effect on the screen, power button or other system functions.
It’s only the LAN renderer. The newest system firmware update is CT m2.1, this changes font size, ect.

The only way I know to check if I have the v1.42 installed is when I check in Roon/HQPlayer. I’d assume anyway that you connect to the streamer should show what version you have installed. Check the system fw on the R26. R115_130_116

Attachments

• IMG_3233.jpeg
    IMG_3233.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3234.jpeg
    IMG_3234.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 0
May 14, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #5,886 of 8,833
Hello,

Unfortunately the SU2 has a Clock Output but can only output Wordclock 44,1Mhz & 49,1Mhz.

R26 needs to receive a Masterclock (10Mhz) input.

You need to connect both devices to a master clock to work.

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #5,888 of 8,833
My understanding is v1.42 is the renderer fw update, has no effect on the screen, power button or other system functions.
It’s only the LAN renderer. The newest system firmware update is CT m2.1, this changes font size, ect.

The only way I know to check if I have the v1.42 installed is when I check in Roon/HQPlayer. I’d assume anyway that you connect to the streamer should show what version you have installed. Check the system fw on the R26. R115_130_116
Thanks for your reply. There's no doubt that I have the latest firmware update CT m2.1, however I remain confused because when I check the mconnect streaming app it says its running v1.3. As far as I know there is no v1.3! I've re-installed v1.42 most carefully, no change, and it has not fixed the stuttering on MQA files.

May 15, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #5,889 of 8,833
Thanks for your reply. There's no doubt that I have the latest firmware update CT m2.1, however I remain confused because when I check the mconnect streaming app it says its running v1.3. As far as I know there is no v1.3! I've re-installed v1.42 most carefully, no change, and it has not fixed the stuttering on MQA files.
There was a v1.3 firmware, but it was superseded pretty quickly to fw v1.4. The newest v1.42 has a different icon showing Gmediarenderer pic.

Attachments

• gmediarenderer.jpeg
    gmediarenderer.jpeg
    3.6 KB · Views: 0
May 15, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #5,890 of 8,833
May 16, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #5,891 of 8,833
I have now ordered a Gustard R26 Discrete DAC. It should be here in a few days. I look forward to comparing it to my Audio-gd Reference 7.1 DAC.

May 16, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #5,892 of 8,833
In the comments section to the (US$11,000) Chord DAVE review at Sound News, there is this interesting dialog:

Guest: Hi, How far different between Dave and R26? Thank you.

Sandu Vitalie: Hi, Honestly, not that much in its stock configuration (without the MScaler). Dave is slightly faster, more detailed and holographic, while R26 is a little smoother and sweeter sounding. With Mscaler, the difference is growing larger and Dave is no longer losing in the "sweetness" department.

So, while the reviewer says the A26 is closer to the wildly expensive Chord DAVE DAC, the difference between the two is still "not that much", and the DAVE is "slightly" better and lesser respectively, regarding detail retrieval and smoothness. That's quite a statement from a man who owns both DAC's.

May 17, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #5,893 of 8,833
I like to share about the way to get the maximum out of the Gustard R26.
Unfortunately the last time I shared this I got shot down and only one person responded to my suggestion and like everyone else who has done this have got positive results.
So I have been using the Leo Bodnar Precision Clock. I have had in my system for about 6 months and still rate it as high as I did when I first heard the Clock.
I will talk about my experience and a few other peoples experience with using this clock.
So I bought this on a recommendation from Tony S of Coherent Systems who told me he had to go up to the Mutec Reference clock to find a clock that could beat it. Not bad when you consider the price difference and Tony would not get anything from me purchasing the clock.
My own experience
You need to set up the GPS and best used in sleep mode, once you have GPS signal set up/ Also you need to reset every to 4 weeks. The process is simple.
LBC Settings.jpg

I bought the clock, not really expecting to much. I was using a cheap Ali Express cable and a Chinese PSU. What I heard surprised me. It had a lot more impact and weight, electric guitar sounded more realistic giving that grunt I was hoping for, in the past it was had a sense of warmth that masked this. This is not a subtle difference and takes the DAC into DACs costing 3 times or more. Going back to the just hearing the R26 without the clock it sounds more congested like a blanket has been just put over the speakers.
I told a few people I know who got the R26 about the clock.
My friend Damien sold his AfterDark Giesemann Project Emperor (with an AD power supply) and the Audio Gd DI20HE. He also had used the Gustard U18 with the Giesemann after getting the Leo Bodnar as performed better than them combined.
A reviewer who reviews for Enjoy the music sometimes reported the following. "I fully concur with John about what the Leo Bodnar clock brings to the R26. I use an Oscar Peterson track to test double bass reproduction, the detail I’m hearing is sublime. Overall there is a considerable performance lift".

This is from a friend of a friend

"Anyway, I must say it's a nicely made piece of kit with machined engraved legends on each end, a touch of quality. I used the Mac app on my MacBook to configure and everything is there, including the sleep function button, once you have a GPS signal locked on and set the 10Mhz clock (default). I used the recommended Drive: 16mA and Bandwidth: 9 settings. The Mac app even has a graphic showing where you are on Google Earth and a graph of signal strength.... slick. I placed the unit into sleep mode straight away as this reaps the best results according to this thread.

Sound....... I've never come across an upgrade that completely alters the presentation of a system like this does, it is not subtle.

Everything now seems to have time to be heard or is that timing to be heard!

There is much more depth and width to the soundstage it's all around you. There is more impact as if your power amps have been uprated.

There is a level of detail and threads of sound that makes the music sound just right. Taking the clock out, to compare, makes things mush together and you loose so much. I'm only on my 16-17th track and the system isn't fully warmed up yet. I know that the clock cable from the Gustard R26 to the LB clock can be much improved so I'm reallllly looking forward to that little journey."

I had a LHY clock in my system that costs a good bit more and just not even close to the Leo Bodnar

Anyway just thought I share

May 17, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #5,894 of 8,833
Unfortunately the last time I shared this I got shot down and only one person responded to my suggestion and like everyone else who has done this have got positive results.
So I have been using the Leo Bodnar Precision Clock. I have had in my system for about 6 months and still rate it as high as I did when I first heard the Clock.
I will talk about my experience and a few other peoples experience with using this clock.
So I bought this on a recommendation from Tony S of Coherent Systems who told me he had to go up to the Mutec Reference clock to find a clock that could beat it. Not bad when you consider the price difference and Tony would not get anything from me purchasing the clock.
My own experience
You need to set up the GPS and best used in sleep mode, once you have GPS signal set up/ Also you need to reset every to 4 weeks. The process is simple.

I bought the clock, not really expecting to much. I was using a cheap Ali Express cable and a Chinese PSU. What I heard surprised me. It had a lot more impact and weight, electric guitar sounded more realistic giving that grunt I was hoping for, in the past it was had a sense of warmth that masked this. This is not a subtle difference and takes the DAC into DACs costing 3 times or more. Going back to the just hearing the R26 without the clock it sounds more congested like a blanket has been just put over the speakers.
My friend Damien sold his AfterDark Giesemann Project Emperor (with an AD power supply) and the Audio Gd DI20HE. He also had used the Gustard U18 with the Giesemann after getting the Leo Bodnar as performed better than them combined.
A reviewer who reviews for Enjoy the music sometimes reported the following. "I fully concur with John about what the Leo Bodnar clock brings to the R26. I use an Oscar Peterson track to test double bass reproduction, the detail I’m hearing is sublime. Overall there is a considerable performance lift".

"Anyway, I must say it's a nicely made piece of kit with machined engraved legends on each end, a touch of quality. I used the Mac app on my MacBook to configure and everything is there, including the sleep function button, once you have a GPS signal locked on and set the 10Mhz clock (default). I used the recommended Drive: 16mA and Bandwidth: 9 settings. The Mac app even has a graphic showing where you are on Google Earth and a graph of signal strength.... slick. I placed the unit into sleep mode straight away as this reaps the best results according to this thread.

Sound....... I've never come across an upgrade that completely alters the presentation of a system like this does, it is not subtle.

There is much more depth and width to the soundstage it's all around you. There is more impact as if your power amps have been uprated.

There is a level of detail and threads of sound that makes the music sound just right. Taking the clock out, to compare, makes things mush together and you loose so much. I'm only on my 16-17th track and the system isn't fully warmed up yet. I know that the clock cable from the Gustard R26 to the LB clock can be much improved so I'm reallllly looking forward to that little journey."

I had a LHY clock in my system that costs a good bit more and just not even close to the Leo Bodnar

Do you use the R26 with Ethernet/LAN connection and the internal renderer/streamer? That is supposed to yield the best sound quality.

I find it odd that you hear an improvement in jitter when using the Leo Bodnar GPS clock, which has sub-picosecond (1x10-12) RMS jitter. The internal clock is a femtosecond (1x10-15) clock. That means the internal clock should be about 1000 times more accurate... With the built-in clock, jitter should be below the threshold of human hearing AFAIK.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #5,895 of 8,833
My own experience

Thanks John for sharing your experiences with the Leo Bodnar clock again in more detail on this thread. Your and others' glowing reports on another forum of great synergy between the R26 and the LB have me intrigued, I added it to my cart a few months back but got distracted and didn't quite press buy. I already have the OCK-2 so confess I have a mix of curiousity and mild trepidation.

And to preempt the inevitable objection that its measured phase noise isn't the best, there's an increasing body of anecdotal evidence (incl yours re the LB) that measured phase noise is far from the sole determinant of a master clock's effect on sound. My experience in recent times is many of the theoretical arguments around external clocking and ethernet as to what should and should not affect or improve the sound don't survive their first encounter with first-hand in-the-real experience.

I really must try the LB.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back