GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Mar 26, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #5,267 of 8,847
Mar 26, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #5,268 of 8,847
The R26 is predominantly neutral and warm with good treble sibilance.
I would go for copper cables to get a better bass focus and warmer midrange.
Especially since you already have some planar headphones, that would just be too much of a good thing.

And with the Ferrum Or, which I think of as more of a neutral amp, that touch of warmth and subtle extension of the copper cable might do it some good.
Their planar headphones will do the rest.
They already have a certain linearity due to the driver, so I would rather work on the final touches to get the last 5% of the planar drive out.

That would be my personal direction if I had to decide.
In the end, it is still your decision what you want and where you want to start.

My impression is that even planar headphones reach their limit in the treble range at some point.
And the other ranges tend to suffer, especially the Hifiman is a candidate for this.
The Lcd2 is thick and warm, but it could stand a little more brightness in general and could be a little rounder in the bass range, so copper would also come into its own again.

Since there are also fuses, the clock will be a bit much for the time being.

Mar 26, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #5,269 of 8,847
Everyone with the R26. Are you using NOS on or off? Normally I have NOS on as I feel like I hear a little more detail, and I have been using it like that for the last 3 months since having the unit. Today I tried it with NOS off (default setting), and on MID filter, it's so 3D, and the soundstage was bigger. The small details are still there but just not as loud or pronounced? Let me know your thoughts, and I looking forward to hearing some of your experience.

Mar 26, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #5,270 of 8,847
I use "NOS Enable" when I upsample with HQP; "NOS Disable" when I am not upsampling [through Foobar for example]. But most of the time I am upsampling through Roon>HQPlayer, so NOS on.

Mar 26, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #5,271 of 8,847
Everyone with the R26. Are you using NOS on or off? Normally I have NOS on as I feel like I hear a little more detail, and I have been using it like that for the last 3 months since having the unit. Today I tried it with NOS off (default setting), and on MID filter, it's so 3D, and the soundstage was bigger. The small details are still there but just not as loud or pronounced? Let me know your thoughts, and I looking forward to hearing some of your experience.
The Fast Filter could bring back the small details if you're using NOS off. It's a great way to listen if you don't want to use NOS or HQPlayer. Before HQ Player, I liked a mix of NOS On and Fast Filter with NOS Off. Depended on if I wanted the analogue sound/NOS On or the detail sound that is still easy to listen to - fast filter. Now I prefer HQ Player as when you find the right filter, you get the best of everything imo. You get the soundstage you want, and details, and a natural sound. At least with the Poly-sinc-gaus filter for most music as you'll see in my signature what I prefer right now. I can't believe how good this sounds, it's crazy. But if you don't want to use HQPlayer, then I also thought this DAC sounds amazing with NOS On and no upsampling and the Fast Filter/NOS Off. It's great all the way around.

Mar 26, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #5,272 of 8,847
I use "NOS Enable" when I upsample with HQP; "NOS Disable" when I am not upsampling [through Foobar for example]. But most of the time I am upsampling through Roon>HQPlayer, so NOS on.
I see. I am running USB PCM with upsample all the time, and that makes sense why I find NOS Enable better sounding, but I am liking the 3D-ness when NOS is Disable. I am going to try it on High filter to see if I get some of the details back.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #5,273 of 8,847
I found the fix for bring the details back. I turned the upsample down back to their normal sample rate with NOS Disable/off, and the details came back. I know I am not supposed to do this but all my listening is from YouTube. No HQP or Roon. Going back to 24/44.1kHz sample fixed it, and even on MID filter it sounds pretty sweet, so much meat on the bone to the lows, and mids, while retaining the highs/air. :) Before I had it at 32/384kHz, it sounded thin and missing the details. Plus side I still have my 3D sound, it's a win win to me. This is listening on the Susvara :)

Mar 27, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #5,274 of 8,847
Yeah I know. I'm going to try LAN, but my headphone and 2.1 setup is in my home office, and I use my PC mostly, and not just for Roon. So USB is much more convenient for me here. I have a U18 and LHY OCK-2 coming as well, so hopefully that helps a bit. Trying to find some JCAT vs Matrix H comparisons to see if the price difference is worthwhile there.
Hello,

@Aeonyx
I have installed the Element H in my PC.
However, Usb goes through with me as follows
Element H > DDC Su 2 >I2S via R26.

I used usb directly at the beginning to burn in without the I2S input and the sound had been good overall together.

I only bought the card because I had interference on the old PC.
This disappeared after installation and the overall sound opened up a bit better.
However, this had been on my old Dac, where I felt the sound was a bit cool with the Element h, which was later compensated for with the Su2.

Nevertheless, I leave the Element H in and still use it with the Su2 on the R26, although a DDC alone should actually be sufficient.
I operate the Element H with a separate power supply, which is not necessarily high-class but should be sufficient.

For all others who are still looking for a DDC Matrix Audion has brought out the Spidf 3 which is the newest DDC on the market and technologically the newest.
The price is also within reasonable limits.

@flyboibirdy

I have switched off both.
With the tube amp I get enough resolution and depth that I don't need it,although it was on at first and felt good and had a great sound,I currently have both on off.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #5,275 of 8,847
I found the fix for bring the details back. I turned the upsample down back to their normal sample rate with NOS Disable/off, and the details came back. I know I am not supposed to do this but all my listening is from YouTube. No HQP or Roon. Going back to 24/44.1kHz sample fixed it, and even on MID filter it sounds pretty sweet, so much meat on the bone to the lows, and mids, while retaining the highs/air. :) Before I had it at 32/384kHz, it sounded thin and missing the details. Plus side I still have my 3D sound, it's a win win to me. This is listening on the Susvara :)
Your DAC is now fully burnt, your head is detoxified from false templates as well. It shifts your preferences. Try again in few months, you will be surprised again. In the long run NOS makes more sense.

Mar 27, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #5,276 of 8,847
Yeah part of the issue before might have been you were upsampling to 32 bits. Before this DAC gets thorough testing, people are suggesting 16 bits as the HQ Player upsample bit number. When I upsample to 32 bits on different apps I've noticed the same thing before where things just don't have enough there there. The bass is initially impressive, but everything is boring. Not sure how to explain it, but it doesn't sound natural. But I'm sure your solution is also great. There is a reason why this DAC was blowing people away, I don't think it was using HQPlayer that was getting the initial reactions.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #5,277 of 8,847
NOS on for HQplayer upsampling.
Before that NOS off with mid filter on

Mar 27, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #5,278 of 8,847
Yeah part of the issue before might have been you were upsampling to 32 bits. Before this DAC gets thorough testing, people are suggesting 16 bits as the HQ Player upsample bit number. When I upsample to 32 bits on different apps I've noticed the same thing before where things just don't have enough there there. The bass is initially impressive, but everything is boring. Not sure how to explain it, but it doesn't sound natural. But I'm sure your solution is also great. There is a reason why this DAC was blowing people away, I don't think it was using HQPlayer that was getting the initial reactions.
The choice of 16/20/24bits is related to the operation of an R2R and the noise generated. Just refer to the PCM noise measurements (see Jussy). In general, it is around 20bits.
For a chip DAC (ex. A26), no problem. "default" or 32 bits.

Mar 27, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #5,279 of 8,847
The choice of 16/20/24bits is related to the operation of an R2R and the noise generated. Just refer to the PCM noise measurements (see Jussy). In general, it is around 20bits.
For a chip DAC (ex. A26), no problem. "default" or 32 bits.
Yes good call. Jussi was asked about this DAC specifically and suggested 16 bits for upsample Bits number in HQPlayer until Jussi does thorough testing. Unless that has been done now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back