GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Jan 30, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #4,156 of 8,893
Edit - a further thought which occurred to me is you may have a weird incompatibility thing between your class D amp and the R26, it can apparently occur where certain harmonics or aspects of the source signal can trigger unpleasant (and I’m very non-technically paraphrasing from memory) harmonics in the class D amplification stage. I reckon I might have faced this with the Topping PA5 I was using - which was near totally unlistenable with the Focals when fed by the D50s DAC. Better with the SMSL VMV D2, very velvety but a bit too caramelly, and better still if not yet great with the stock R26.
^^^THIS.

@THUB. I am exclusively R2R user and tried few class D amps. It doesn't pair well, especially in NOS mode. You will be trying upsampling, it will help, but a ladder switching noise still interfere with pulse modulation of the amp.

You need a traditional amp class A discrete non-feedback implementation for headphones, class A/B for speakers with distortion free bandwith at least 100kHz. No IC opamps, no Burson hybrides. Trust me on this, initial clarity of a digital amp quickly goes away with R2R DAC, it cause fatigue.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #4,157 of 8,893
As I wrote I don't have a R26 (or A26) (yet) but a Pegasus that handles DSD with a 6 bit module.
I listen to everything in DSD256 via HQPlayer.
But especially on the amplification side, I have a BoXem with Purifi modules which replaced a real 200w class A (under 4 ohm): Audia Flight FL 100 (refurbished by the manufacturer in 2020).
The difference in nuance is at the level of the bass which is a little lighter but no problem of transparency or aggressiveness of the highs.
I would like to specify that I use the cut-off above 20khz proposed by HQPlayer.
After having had an optimized Meraki switch (capacitor and power supply), I optimized by passing to a ZenStream (NAA) which is connected directly to the server without switch (not really a network but direct client/server).
As I wrote before, I don't doubt the R26 but it remains to be seen if its DSD decoding module is up to the level of the Pegasus... certainly below the A26 where the AK4499EX chip receives the stream directly (full bypass).
But there are still habits and cognitive biases... indeed if I have more dynamics, transparency, will I support ?. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
The Soundnews review is well written to highlight the qualities and differences because it is about differences... and tastes, not ranking. This one is better than that one... well, on DSD, that's already been written about !

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #4,158 of 8,893
Ok, it's official. The R26 just sounds bad for me. How? Treble is thin and lacks tone, bass lacks anything regarding definition, everything sounds like it's got rounded transients, and the sound is just not good overall. I have 240 hours on it now, and it shows no sign of any improvements. I'm honestly wondering if something is just wrong with it. I'm not picking on it's clarity, tone, imaging, timbre, or sense of depth and dimension as one would expect. This R26 just sounds bad. My setup normally often grabs my attention even if I'm not critically listening, and it is full of emotion. The R26 never gave me any of these attributes; not even close.

I have tried both the LAN input and USB. Nothing is better with either. I also tried 3 different power cables with no improvements there either. DSD is better, but not nearly good enough. I put my old DAC back in, and the sound is absolutely glorious, especially after listening to the R26 this past week and a half. It's not even close in comparison. Seriously, if I had to listen to this R26, I'd honestly rather not listen to music at all. I understand I might be the only person stating things like this which leads me to the conclusion this one is broken in some way.

So now I'm not sure what to do. Do I try to give this R26 more time? My guess is this one isn't going to be getting better any time soon. Do I just return it and possibly order another one? Part of me thinks I should just be done with the R26 altogether. This is extremely disappointing as I was beyond hopeful this would be the DAC for me. I loved the idea of the built-in NAA for HQPlayer.
You can use RPi2 as NAA (LAN) interface to your old DAC...

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #4,159 of 8,893
As I wrote I don't have a R26 (or A26) (yet) but a Pegasus that handles DSD with a 6 bit module.
I listen to everything in DSD256 via HQPlayer.
But especially on the amplification side, I have a BoXem with Purifi modules which replaced a real 200w class A (under 4 ohm): Audia Flight FL 100 (refurbished by the manufacturer in 2020).
The difference in nuance is at the level of the bass which is a little lighter but no problem of transparency or aggressiveness of the highs.
I would like to specify that I use the cut-off above 20khz proposed by HQPlayer.
After having had an optimized Meraki switch (capacitor and power supply), I optimized by passing to a ZenStream (NAA) which is connected directly to the server without switch (not really a network but direct client/server).
As I wrote before, I don't doubt the R26 but it remains to be seen if its DSD decoding module is up to the level of the Pegasus... certainly below the A26 where the AK4499EX chip receives the stream directly (full bypass).
But there are still habits and cognitive biases... indeed if I have more dynamics, transparency, will I support ?. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
The Soundnews review is well written to highlight the qualities and differences because it is about differences... and tastes, not ranking. This one is better than that one... well, on DSD, that's already been written about !
The R26 replaced Pegasus in my system, and it's better than Pegasus both for PCM and DSD.

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #4,160 of 8,893
@duffer5 have been listening all day to the Finisar AOC cable you recommended a few weeks back, after it arrived this morning. Am suprised - there’s a big difference over the stock cable I had in there. Thanks for posting it here. It’s a great upgrade for me in my system. Great value for money at $25.

Jan 30, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #4,161 of 8,893
Jan 30, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #4,162 of 8,893
It's an Eastern Electric DAC Jr with cap upgrades and Burson discrete opamps. I've tried to dethrone it for years, but it doesn't seem possible in my price range. I'm just not willing to spend $3,000 plus on a DAC. It's just not worth that to me. I have other expensive hobbies to waste money on...
It seems you reached the peak from a sound perspective, I know is hard but, be content with your current system and enjoy it. Wishing you find happiness with your current system!

Jan 30, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #4,164 of 8,893
@duffer5 have been listening all day to the Finisar AOC cable you recommended a few weeks back, after it arrived this morning. Am suprised - there’s a big difference over the stock cable I had in there. Thanks for posting it here. It’s a great upgrade for me in my system. Great value for money at $25.
Awesome. Super pleased to know it worked out.

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #4,165 of 8,893
I have been reading this thread since page 7 soon after Sandu dropped his video review of this unit and have enjoyed the journey to make my system sound beyond awesome. I love it enough, I have two. So, I need to thank the Masterthreader, m-i-c-k-e-y, and contributions from (inpo): BShaw, Jake2, Camrector, Dandoudou, and duffer5, among others.

Glad someone did a summary of tweaks several pages ago that made this unit be all that it is and more. I echo most of them. The first being the burn in process to me is the most important because compared to the Benchmark DAC3 i was listening to at the time, the R26 sounded initially muddy, gritty, lackluster at times. Hours later, it’s sound changed before my ears. I let it burn in for weeks and soon after retired the DAC3.

The second improvement came with using fiber, and more specifically using Finisar AOC. I have an older house and the crawl space has copper ethernet wires running along side power lines and thought that would not effect sound of digital music streaming from my Roon. And just using fiber gives me that 75% improvement. But the last 25% has come from replacing everything possible with an AOC. The ambience around instruments can be heard more now, even by the GF, bass is fuller with a more rounded deeper bottom end, rather than a cut off lower shelf. I can almost begin to see the lips move when Eva Cassidy or Bocelli sing now. Its been that way since swapping out my “old” fiber with the AOC’s and eliminating those little FMC modules/Topping LPS with switches (QNAP) that incorporate them already. I also had bad days before updating to tthe AOC’s. These modules although say they are Hot-swapable, are not. I thinks someone mentioned a timing issue, because i had to reboot them to bring the sound back. With the use of AOC and QNAP‘s, two weeks of constant joy.

The third significant improvement came from upgrading the fuse. I know, controversial. Went from SR Orange to Purple, both an upgrade from what’s generically in there already. Maybe more the HPA-4 than the R26. The amp is so neutral, but at times thin sounding, too clinical, no soul. Theses first three help me keep it around longer, complimenting the beauty of the R2R.

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #4,166 of 8,893
Jan 30, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #4,167 of 8,893
I have been reading this thread since page 7 soon after Sandu dropped his video review of this unit and have enjoyed the journey to make my system sound beyond awesome. I love it enough, I have two. So, I need to thank the Masterthreader, m-i-c-k-e-y, and contributions from (inpo): BShaw, Jake2, Camrector, Dandoudou, and duffer5, among others.

Glad someone did a summary of tweaks several pages ago that made this unit be all that it is and more. I echo most of them. The first being the burn in process to me is the most important because compared to the Benchmark DAC3 i was listening to at the time, the R26 sounded initially muddy, gritty, lackluster at times. Hours later, it’s sound changed before my ears. I let it burn in for weeks and soon after retired the DAC3.

The second improvement came with using fiber, and more specifically using Finisar AOC. I have an older house and the crawl space has copper ethernet wires running along side power lines and thought that would not effect sound of digital music streaming from my Roon. And just using fiber gives me that 75% improvement. But the last 25% has come from replacing everything possible with an AOC. The ambience around instruments can be heard more now, even by the GF, bass is fuller with a more rounded deeper bottom end, rather than a cut off lower shelf. I can almost begin to see the lips move when Eva Cassidy or Bocelli sing now. Its been that way since swapping out my “old” fiber with the AOC’s and eliminating those little FMC modules/Topping LPS with switches (QNAP) that incorporate them already. I also had bad days before updating to tthe AOC’s. These modules although say they are Hot-swapable, are not. I thinks someone mentioned a timing issue, because i had to reboot them to bring the sound back. With the use of AOC and QNAP‘s, two weeks of constant joy.

The third significant improvement came from upgrading the fuse. I know, controversial. Went from SR Orange to Purple, both an upgrade from what’s generically in there already. Maybe more the HPA-4 than the R26. The amp is so neutral, but at times thin sounding, too clinical, no soul. Theses first three help me keep it around longer, complimenting the beauty of the R2R.
This is awesome!! 🙌🏻🙌🏻

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #4,168 of 8,893
@Jake2 they are industrial grade types (-40c to +85c) and have very low jitter. Finisar is one the largest manufacturer of FO transceiver modules. At the AS and here (especially on the DAVE thread) mostly uses (and some of them here) the FTLF1318P3BTL some the FTLX1475D3BTL.

@drjason You're welcome Bro!

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #4,169 of 8,893
This is the first DDC that's worked for my R26 in PCM (using i2s).
As a reminder, I posted this awhile back in this thread, but my DI-20HE and Hydra-Z DDC i2s did not work with R26, it forced the R26 into DSD mode.
I'm strictly a PCM listener (and yes I know I could have used HQP to reconvert any PCM stream to DSD, but I just didn't want to go that route).

Just for my information... Are you still able to play DSD over I2S from the Red to the R26?

I read this in the Red manual:
"Set the DIP switch [3] to enable I²S_DSD_ON"
and wonder whether this should solve the Gustard/SMSL pin 15 issue.

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #4,170 of 8,893
Hey all. I have gathered that both XLR and RCA outputs are active on the R26 simultaneously. Will I run into any issues having the xlr out into an amp and the rca outs into a subwoofer?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back