GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Dec 18, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #2,686 of 8,912
Come to think about it, R26 doesn’t have another set of filters for DSD that one can choose from, so It’s logical to assume it will use the same selected PCM filter in non direct mode. Their X26Pro has different sets of filters for PCM and DSD respectively.

Dec 18, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #2,687 of 8,912
Gustard actually mentions in the manual that it may be better to use higher performance PC to upsample DSD and sends the final DSD to R26 In direct DSD mode. I suppose that means sending DSD64 to R26 in direct mode may not be such a good idea.
Yea that’s what I said above and makes sense. Upsample in whatever program you want then send that with direct on. Sound quality will improve because
the low pass filter the 1bit Dac uses will be less steep.
Still speculative of that email answer lol

Dec 18, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #2,688 of 8,912
If we are so eager to improve the sound that we convert it to DSD512, then we should also have a preamp. Because the preamp will contribute much more to the sound quality than DSD upsampling. In that case, DSD direct is the best choice. I don't see a problem. Unless there is a loud noise on the headphones. It is almost inaudible on the speakers.

Dec 18, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #2,689 of 8,912
According to that email. As soon as a DSD signal hits the R26 and DSD direct is off, the R26 converts it to PCM.
There is no way HQ player is getting between that conversion.
You can upsample in HQ all you want, Doesn’t matter what happens upstream. IF the R26 has direct off, it converts to PCM.
You are absolutly correct. That is exactly the point I was making. If the source file is pcm the DSD should be off on th R26. If the source file is native DSD it should be on and it will feed that DSD signal through HQP with the appropriate settings.

Dec 18, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #2,690 of 8,912
Come to think about it, R26 doesn’t have another set of filters for DSD that one can choose from, so It’s logical to assume it will use the same selected PCM filter in non direct mode. Their X26Pro has different sets of filters for PCM and DSD respectively.
No its a one bit dac uses a low pass analog filter.
Most chip DACs convert both PCM and DSD to an intermediate format, something like 5 bit PCM at a high sample rate and noise shaped. That isn’t PCM and it isn’t DSD. There’s a continuum of intermediate formats that can work. That’s what the x26 would do

Dec 18, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #2,691 of 8,912
You are absolutly correct. That is exactly the point I was making. If the source file is pcm the DSD should be off on th R26. If the source file is native DSD it should be on and it will feed that DSD signal through HQP with the appropriate settings.
According to that email. If the source file is PCM and you convert to DSD and upsample that DSD as soon as that signal hits the R26 it is converted back to PCM. It will be processed as PCM within the DAC and you will hear PCM.
There will be no more DSD.

Dec 18, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #2,692 of 8,912
Anyone had issues with wobbly feet and buzzing as this YouTuber will reveal soon in a review? Don’t want to buy a DAC with these problems…

Dec 18, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #2,693 of 8,912
Anyone had issues with wobbly feet and buzzing as this YouTuber will reveal soon in a review? Don’t want to buy a DAC with these problems…

Wobbly feet, no, never heard that complaint and it's probably an oversight on the reviewer's part. Buzzing, absolutely - it's a common issue, a very low volume hum which sounds like maybe a transformer. There's been no resolution to this as far as I know. I just live with it, it's only audible when things are very quiet, but in a small room you will definitely hear it.
From the nitpicking we do here on this forum, it might seem like this DAC is fraught with issues, but people have to bear in mind that, as has been recently noted, after 100 pages of everyone gushing about how much they love their R26, we start exploring optimization paths, and it gets pretty hyper-focused and critical, which is not a reflection of the quality of this incredible DAC, but one of the curiosity of the participants and our love for music, quality, and a fair dose of geekness and audiophilia nervosa.
I'm overwhelmingly happy with my R26, buzz and all. It's a very well made piece of gear, high quality. Perfect, no. Ever see the instruments of your favorite players?

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #2,694 of 8,912
Gustard actually mentions in the manual that it may be better to use higher performance PC to upsample DSD and sends the final DSD to R26 In direct DSD mode. I suppose that means sending DSD64 to R26 in direct mode may not be such a good idea.
Not a good idea at all! As evidenced by that reviewers measurements of 68db SINAD.

Btw I’m not a ASR guy 😂😂

Dec 18, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #2,695 of 8,912
Wobbly feet, no, never heard that complaint and it's probably an oversight on the reviewer's part. Buzzing, absolutely - it's a common issue, a very low volume hum which sounds like maybe a transformer. There's been no resolution to this as far as I know. I just live with it, it's only audible when things are very quiet, but in a small room you will definitely hear it.
From the nitpicking we do here on this forum, it might seem like this DAC is fraught with issues, but people have to bear in mind that, as has been recently noted, after 100 pages of everyone gushing about how much they love their R26, we start exploring optimization paths, and it gets pretty hyper-focused and critical, which is not a reflection of the quality of this incredible DAC, but one of the curiosity of the participants and our love for music, quality, and a fair dose of geekness and audiophilia nervosa.
I'm overwhelmingly happy with my R26, buzz and all. It's a very well made piece of gear, high quality. Perfect, no. Ever see the instruments of your favorite players?
Very well said!!
A lot of what we are doing to is figuring out on our own, without the help of the designer, what this DAC can do.
This really is a wildly amazing DAC.

It’s also wildly weird in that it’s a R2R Ladder DAC with a 1 bit DSD DAC. Essentially two DACs. I couldn’t name a single other dac that combines both of these. Other R2R DACs handle DSD completely differently. Adding the vagueness and the language barrier from Gustard, is what drives most of the convos here.
I’ve said before that you wouldn’t have a 180 page thread, if this DAC was junk or mediocre.
Gustard should print this thread and included it in the R26 box lol.

Dec 18, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #2,696 of 8,912
That wouldn’t matter at all. According to the email.
If the R26 has direct off. The R26 will convert everything to PCM and send to the ladder. If Direct is set to on that is the only way the R26 will process DSD.
@labeelen
Agreed,

No wobbly feet and no buzzing on my R26

Dec 18, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #2,697 of 8,912
So I have got a confirming email.
According to this, I was wrong in the way that the R26 handles DSD. I will say that nothing I said is wrong about how DSD can be processed within a DAC, it’s just not what Gustard does with the R26.
They take a cheap/lazy way out. Or should I say cost effective way out.
I was hoping that wasn’t the case but I understand it a bit. I don’t think many of us are buying this based on its DSD ability. If you are very invested in DSD, there are better DAC options.

So what we now know according to this.

•With DSD Direct is set to “off”, the R26 converts DSD signal to PCM.

•Volume adjustment is the operation of the PCM stage signal.

•When DSD is converted to PCM, the PCM filter is used to control the interpolation rate of the converted PCM.

The last part of the email says this:
For DSD tracks,
Either what you hear is actually PCM, or DSD is completely unmodified
(operated via DSD DIRECT option)

Attachments

• 9BFBB8CD-7238-42BF-BBCE-4C1D80692734.jpeg
    9BFBB8CD-7238-42BF-BBCE-4C1D80692734.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 0
Dec 18, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #2,698 of 8,912
So I have got a confirming email.
According to this, I was wrong in the way that the R26 handles DSD. I will say that nothing I said is wrong about how DSD can be processed within a DAC, it’s just not what Gustard does with the R26.
They take a cheap/lazy way out. Or should I say cost effective way out.
I was hoping that wasn’t the case but I understand it a bit. I don’t think many of us are buying this based on its DSD ability. If you are very invested in DSD, there are better DAC options.

So what we now know according to this.

•With DSD Direct is set to “off”, the R26 converts DSD signal to PCM.

•Volume adjustment is the operation of the PCM stage signal.

•When DSD is converted to PCM, the PCM filter is used to control the interpolation rate of the converted PCM.

The last part of the email says this:
For DSD tracks,
Either what you hear is actually PCM, or DSD is completely unmodified
(operated via DSD DIRECT option)
Thx Cam,

Could your Gustard contact confirm our finding that R26 is noisy when playing DSD material with ‘DSD Direct = ON’. ?
Is this by design or can it be fixed with a firmware update ?

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #2,700 of 8,912
Well this place sure has been cookin' today, must be Saturday :relieved:
I'm chiming in here because I recently posted about my OCK-1 and issues with the R26 reading "ext err". I've discovered when I leave the clock on for 20-30 minutes, the error disappears, and all is well in musicville. And well it is - with the Beatechnik cable in place, (warning: subjective outburst ahead, may not be suitable for the anointed defenders of science) HOLY SCHMIDT. the music just has so much 'in the pocket' groove, the soundstage is beyond big with the R26, it's absolutely immersive! Piano is one of the hardest things to get right IMO, and piano sounded just right tonight. I was enjoying the music like never before, just blown away by the quality of sound. Wow.

I wonder - does anyone here keep the OCK on all the time?
Yes. I leave my OCK-1 on all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back