Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #451 of 1,044
From what I read and seen I tend to believe 801evan. I saw video test between Hi Fi Rose ESS DAC vs May KTE using a Michael Jackson song and they sounded the same. Other people online with $2k headphones couldn't find a huge difference or no difference between May and a $600 DAC. May Kte is not worth $6k! It's mostly profit and paying for that fancy casing. But if you have the money to spend and prefer two heavy shiny boxes by all means. But if you tout May having some sonic superiority please prove to us!
ESS is awful in my experience. I wouldn't trust YT audio as the basis of any comparison. If you were to listen in person and form that conclusion then fair enough.

With respect to May, I trust the opinion of Golden Sound implicitly. He bought May and I'm ordering May.

With respect to your comment about cost, I agree with the principle of what you say. I too hate the amount of profit slurping in our hobby. I wish it was otherwise.

Feb 18, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #453 of 1,044
ESS is awful in my experience. I wouldn't trust YT audio as the basis of any comparison. If you were to listen in person and form that conclusion then fair enough.

With respect to May, I trust the opinion of Golden Sound implicitly. He bought May and I'm ordering May.

With respect to your comment about cost, I agree with the principle of what you say. I too hate the amount of profit slurping in our hobby. I wish it was otherwise.
Have you heard HI Fi Rose? Doesn't sound like a typical topping ESS! Everyone seems to be using it for streaming at the Florida Audio Show.I will order the Zen Sig on Tues. to compare to my Pegasus and Pontus II. Since you have the funds to get the May why don't you also get a Zen for fun and do a proper shoot out and let all members benefit from your experience!😊

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #454 of 1,044
Feb 18, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #456 of 1,044
Yes, but the new version should have a white antenna on it as well. When I get mine and if I like it I will add 5v LPS for another $100!
I powered mine with the chord Anni that has 5v out and it really deepens the sound and opens up the soundstage. Previously the ifi elite was the best one for me, where it beats 5 LPS brands I've tried and even beats the Hypsos. But in comparison, the Elite sits a bit higher in staging while the Anni 5v out gives more transparency to the sound.

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #458 of 1,044
From what I read and seen I tend to believe 801evan. I saw video test between Hi Fi Rose ESS DAC vs May KTE using a Michael Jackson song and they sounded the same. Other people online with $2k headphones couldn't find a huge difference or no difference between May and a $600 DAC. May Kte is not worth $6k! It's mostly profit and paying for that fancy casing. But if you have the money to spend and prefer two heavy shiny boxes by all means. But if you tout May having some sonic superiority please prove to us!

who made this video?

i could care less which one is ‘ better’ or whatever.
Although from a measurement point of view the Holo May is kinda leaps and bounds above the Ifi.
if that is audible.
on the other hand the Holo May is an R2R DAC and that is quite different technology than a ΣΔ chip such as the ESS , so they will sound different just from that.

Feb 19, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #459 of 1,044
I powered mine with the chord Anni that has 5v out and it really deepens the sound and opens up the soundstage. Previously the ifi elite was the best one for me, where it beats 5 LPS brands I've tried and even beats the Hypsos. But in comparison, the Elite sits a bit higher in staging while the Anni 5v out gives more transparency to the sound.
Thanks for chiming in! If I like the Zen Sig I will invest in an Elite power supply! Btw you don't work for iFi do you ? Just kidding😅

Before your post I was just going to get $100 LPS from China AliExpress.

Thanks again!😊

Feb 19, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #460 of 1,044
Thanks for chiming in! If I like the Zen Sig I will invest in an Elite power supply! Btw you don't work for iFi do you ? Just kidding😅

Before your post I was just going to get $100 LPS from China AliExpress.

Thanks again!😊
Most LPS especially china has a ringing sound to it in the mids to upper mids. I highly discourage such. Once u have the zen sig one, try to find the opportunity to power it with the anni via 5v out for a better sound.

Feb 19, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #462 of 1,044
Any words on the timbre? Does this sound natural and organic or digital compared to other dacs you heard? R26 does sound more natural? the R2R effect.

Feb 19, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #464 of 1,044
I find R2R sounds too soft.
thus many think it’s more natural.

real instruments are not soft at all
Do you come in contact with real instruments often? I never do.

Feb 19, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #465 of 1,044
Do you come in contact with real instruments often? I never do.

ive played piano, violin and mostly guitar for 40+ years.
im not bragging. i hope you don’t take it that way.
its just true. Most of those years are guitar

real instruments are loud af and project a lot.
they weren’t made to sound soft. They were made to be heard in large audiences usually.
if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back