Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #406 of 1,056
I have a zenstream (optimized to the max - see my sign) with a 7.5v power supply and a very good USB cable. The whole thing was connected to a Pegasus.
Since yesterday, after testing the USB input of the A26, I switched to the lan (streamer inside). It's better than with the Zen + USB.
Because the editing is more direct and the USB input cannot compete with the simplification.
On the other hand, I can't reproduce the same network. The streamer is not configurable under SSH. My Zen was connected directly with a fixed IPV6... not possible without being able to enter the system.
But it's excellent like this !

Feb 16, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #408 of 1,056
Gustard's internal streamer is very, very good when used with Roon and HQ player, particularly when externally clocked and fed nice clean ethernet which can be done effectively and economically with fibre media convertors.
I plan on using A26 exclusively with Roon feeding DSD files and Tidal Connect with MQA.

I am interested in “fiber media converters”, has been any specific brand/type that is tested to work well with Gustard devices or A26 in particular?

Actually is it really necessary if my A26 is only 2-3ft away from the switch?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #409 of 1,056
I really hope Gustard would hurry so I won't have to worry about getting a streamer/digital transport like Volumio Rivo or iFi Zen.

A26 already has Roon, once it has Tidal Connect, it will have everything I need! Unless, there is an advantage to get an additional streamer instead of using the built-in Roon and Tidal Connect?

For those of you who are on beta or who are testing the beta Tidal Connect, has Gustard mentioned a target date to roll out Tidal Connect?

Why can't you just use Tidal through Roon?

Feb 16, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #410 of 1,056
I plan on using A26 exclusively with Roon feeding DSD files and Tidal Connect with MQA.

I am interested in “fiber media converters”, has been any specific brand/type that is tested to work well with Gustard devices or A26 in particular?

@Dandoudou would be better placed to answer this as he has FMCs, I've just read a lot about them and am close to finalising my preferred set of FMCs, SFPs, cables and PS to order.

Some comments FWIW:
  • selection of the best sounding FMCs (including the best sounding SFC (Small Form Factor Pluggable) module types and particular brands/models, optical cables and power supplies) is a long and complicated topic. It depends on how much you are willing to spend. But you don't need to spend much at all (say<USD200 all up incl some budget linear PS) to get really satisfying improvements. See the sticky on the first page of the R26 thread for info.
  • In terms of necessity... no it's not essential - the Gustard DACs with internal streamers can and do sound great without them. But of all the various tweaks Gustard R26 owners have made, adding FMCs has been pretty much universally acknowledged as bringing the best bang for the buck sound improvements due to their 100% galvanic isolation from upstream sources of noise in the ethernet chain. I have two switches in series, each of which improved the sound a lot over a direct connection to my router. But if I disconnect the ethernet cable between the router and the first switch (with my Mac Mini Roon/HQP continuing to play from its buffer for a few minutes) the sound gets even calmer, less edgy, quieter background etc. A strong argument for inserting FMCs there at least methinks.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #411 of 1,056
Why can't you just use Tidal through Roon?
Tidal integration messes up my Roon library so much that I decided to disconnect it. There are a long thread in Roon community forums documenting how Roon chooses lower res Tidal versions instead of local DSD files to play.

So I will only listen to Tidal directly for now until Roon fixes this issue, that’s why Tidal Connect on A26 is really important, for me.

Feb 16, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #412 of 1,056

Jake has covered the rationale behind the why.

The specific brands are listed on the first page of the R26 thread. There is also a particular AOC cable recommended by @duffer5 which cost USD$30 which you can google in the R26 thread. I have the equipment listed in the first page plus the upgrade cable and my R26 is much improved.

Feb 16, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #413 of 1,056
Yes I totally understand.
It is a bit different for me : I have to refresh “the whole DAC” area.
So, for me, the question A+B+C or “Holo Audio” makes more sense.
and just like you, if I go for Holo Audio, I will also try to buy “pre-loved” gear
I like your term "pre-loved" The word used makes me think of washed up "entertainers" like Madonna

Feb 17, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #415 of 1,056
I will also wait for it. Am amazed how expensive external clocks are! Costlier than A26 DAC itself! Would like to know if its worth its price? How much or what kind of improvement does it bring?
Same question from me.
A26/R26 have femto clocks.

“femto” means: 10 exp (-15);

= fourteen zeros before 1;

A femtosecond is

= 0.000,000,000,000,001 of a sec;
= 10 exp (-6) x 10 exp (-9) of a sec;
= 1 millionth of a billionth of a sec;

And not only are they “femto” clocks, but they are “thermo-femto”, meaning they auto-correct for temperature.

I encourage anyone hearing anything below this level to rush for an interview with Guinness World Records. Even Jaime Sommers would fail the test, I guess

PS:
My intention is certainly not to reopen the endless snake oil debate. I am not saying external clocks are useless in general, obviously (and I do not have any credentials anyway)

I mean they mathematically should be useless when the DAC already has a built-in femto clock (as for A26/R26).

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #416 of 1,056
I will also wait for it. Am amazed how expensive external clocks are! Costlier than A26 DAC itself! Would like to know if its worth its price? How much or what kind of improvement does it bring?
I picked up a LHY OCK-1 to clock my U18 and X26Pro. All I can say is it's been the best bang for the buck upgrade I've experienced in my rig. To me, it sounds like I bought a new DAC that's more upscale than the X26Pro. SQ improvement in every describable way. Much more of an improvement than 3 SR Purples that I bought.

Feb 17, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #417 of 1,056
I picked up a LHY OCK-1 to clock my U18 and X26Pro. All I can say is it's been the best bang for the buck upgrade I've experienced in my rig. To me, it sounds like I bought a new DAC that's more upscale than the X26Pro. SQ improvement in every describable way. Much more of an improvement than 3 SR Purples that I bought.
For me, if this is true (and I have no reason to doubt it obviously), that would mean X26Pro clock is sub-par.

At some point, we have to be consistent with ourselves.

Either
- X26Pro/A26/R26 clock is branded a femto clock, but it actually sub-par;
Or
- these clocks are true femto clocks (10^-15), and an external clock is total over-engineering, on-top of the already over-engineered internal clock, and no improvement can be heard by a human ear.

There is no much room in between these two possibilities.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #419 of 1,056
For me, if this is true (and I have no reason to doubt it obviously), that would mean X26Pro clock is crap.

ties.
No it is not crap as you call it. Get real. Have you read or seen 1 review anywhere calling X,R or A clocks crap? These are $1500 units that sound superb out of the box. Every review I've read or seen confirms that. But there is no question an OCXO can improve a $1500 DAC with a clock input. You want a DAC that can't be improved with an OCXO? Then go spend 3, 4 or more times what the these units cost.

Feb 17, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #420 of 1,056
Paul McGowann, CEO of PS Audio has some relevant credentials, I guess

Paul is basically saying : If the DAC is so bad that it needs an external clock, change the DAC.

That's one man's opinion. BTW they don't NEED an OCXO at all and sound fantastic without one. But they benefit with one and that puts Gustard DAC's right up there with units that cost as much PS Audio and other DAC's double, triple or whatever cost of a Gustard with a reasonably priced OCXO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back