Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #151 of 996
Nevermind on more results, i did a quick pass and all that switching to a speaker amp and/or estats did was make the same differences way more noticeable.

After initial testing I decided not to compare the SP3000 or H7, as H7's DAC output is just /terrible/ and SP3000 is /great/ but wasn't so incredibly good that it made sense to compare its insanely pricey $4k butt to the rest of these. A26 easily competes with SP3000 at a fraction of the price.

A26 is the best of the bunch, but the most expensive (but is it really, with the built-in streaming?)
D400EX is second best, coming very close to A26 except for a couple of issues like slightly crunchy edges on vocals and inferior separation on poorly-mixed tracks.
E70V is obv the budget buy here, and it competes /very/ well.

If you need a baller streamer in your DAC, go A26. You won't regret it. If you have cash and want the best, also get the A26. If you're on a budget, get the E70V. The D400EX sits in a weird spot here where despite being very close in quality to the A26, I almost can't recommend it because the A26 has such great streaming capability. That said if you /really/ can't splurge on the A26 or /never/ need streaming, the D400EX is a great DAC.
Thanks for the feedback. How would you judge A26 for EDMs, esp related to bass punch and vocal clarity? Seems analog like R2Rs are not to my taste. I like RME and Qutest with good dynamics and clarity. So how does A26 compares to those on these parameters? Mainly slam, mids clarity, resolution, staging and imaging?

Jan 21, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #152 of 996
This is a bummer, I don't use Tidal Connect so I wouldn't have any experience in this regard :frowning2:
I edited my original post to reflect that:

• Wiim has AlexaCast in addition to Tidal Connect too
• Rivo has Tidal Connect already, but still working on AlexaCast
• whereas A26 does not have any of these serious streaming capabilities

This is definitely a good alternative solution. For me, the Wiim's limited connectivity, wifi bandwidth, and the need for an extra power dongle outweigh the price difference between A26 and D400EX. That said, I don't use Tidal Connect, so that missing feature isn't a bother for me.
Yes, Wiim Mini is under-powered. But the new Wiim Pro is releasing Roon Ready next month, has ethernet and all kinds of bit-perfect streaming protocols up to 192/24 so it's a feature-packed streamer.

The Rivo has been on my radar too. If you need Tidal Connect, this is a great option -- way better than the Wiim offerings. That said, that's another $1k -- at that point you're spending $500 more than the A26 /and/ have a second box. I was going to go this route if the D400EX beat the A26, but it didn't.
You are totally right about the "$1k" piece and the "clutter of a 2nd box." I was hoping D400EX "beat" the A26 too, but A26 remains as King of the AKM chips right now.

I'm not convinced the Rivo is a better streamer, outside of having a slightly broader feature set. If you really can't live without Tidal Connect, perhaps it might be better to get the E70V and a Rivo for now and wait to see what other companies release AK4499EX DACs in the future. The chip is still very new, we have yet to see what's truly possible.
At first, E70V does appear to be a good choice, because it has all the same chips and the price is right. What I really like is its Auto-On and Auto-Off features, plus 12 Trigger Out port that both SMSL and Gustard don't have (why???).

This is true, and might be more reason to go with the cheaper E70V for now alongside a more expensive streamer, then upgrade the DAC side /later/ after more AK4499EX options have come available.
Unfortunately, E70V doesn't support MQA (why???) so it's a no go for a Tidal user.

Any chance that Topping will release a E70V MKII with MQA, given their history? I am guessing not soon. So I am back to pondering about D400EX vs A26, while trying to solve the lack of 12V Trigger issue on both of them to do auto-on and auto-off.

Jan 21, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #153 of 996
I edited my original post to reflect that:

• Wiim has AlexaCast in addition to Tidal Connect too
• Rivo has Tidal Connect already, but still working on AlexaCast
• whereas A26 does not have any of these serious streaming capabilities
We might have differing opinions on what "serious streaming capability" amounts to. AlexaCast is middling at best, and Amazon's music service is severely limited to begin with. Tidal Connect is similarly meh. "Serious streaming" is DLNA, Roon, HQPlayer NAA, uPnP. DLNA and uPnP are especially important as they're open protocols that other protocols like AlexaCast, Tidal Connect, etc can be bridged to.
Yes, Wiim Mini is under-powered. But the new Wiim Pro is releasing Roon Ready next month, has ethernet and all kinds of bit-perfect streaming protocols up to 192/24 so it's a feature-packed streamer.
This seems like a much better option than the Mini for sure, but the lack of USB output, or even coax, is a real bummer. A lot of DACs don't bother supporting more than 96khz over optical SPDIF, opting instead for full 192khz support only over coaxial. I use HQPlayer a lot, so Wiim Mini is definitely a no-go for me personally. But there's obv nothing wrong with folks not using HQPlayer, and being fine with the 96khz/192khz cap. Any of these AK4499EX DACs should support 192khz over optical, so in context the Pro seems a fine option for you -- especially if paired with an ultra low noise power supply.
You are totally right about the "$1k" piece and the "clutter of a 2nd box." I was hoping D400EX "beat" the A26 too, but A26 remains as King of the AKM chips right now.

At first, E70V does appear to be a good choice, because it has all the same chips and the price is right. What I really like is its Auto-On and Auto-Off features, plus 12 Trigger Out port that both SMSL and Gustard don't have (why???).
Ya, the lack of 12v trigger on A26 especially is very confusing.
Unfortunately, E70V doesn't support MQA (why???) so it's a no go for a Tidal user.
You don't have to have MQA to use Tidal. And honestly you should probably avoid MQA anyway, it's not lossless and adds some serious weird high-frequency noise even after decode.
Any chance that Topping will release a E70V MKII with MQA, given their history? I am guessing not soon. So I am back to pondering about D400EX vs A26, while trying to solve the lack of 12V Trigger issue on both of them to do auto-on and auto-off.
MQA needs to die. :)

Jan 21, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #154 of 996
Thanks for the feedback. How would you judge A26 for EDMs, esp related to bass punch and vocal clarity? Seems analog like R2Rs are not to my taste. I like RME and Qutest with good dynamics and clarity. So how does A26 compares to those on these parameters? Mainly slam, mids clarity, resolution, staging and imaging?
I'm not a fan of R2R, the lack of dynamics and for high end products the overly-smoothed presentation is just... dull.
A26 is nothing like this. It'll rock for EDM.

Jan 21, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #155 of 996
We might have differing opinions on what "serious streaming capability" amounts to. AlexaCast is middling at best, and Amazon's music service is severely limited to begin with. Tidal Connect is similarly meh. "Serious streaming" is DLNA, Roon, HQPlayer NAA, uPnP. DLNA and uPnP are especially important as they're open protocols that other protocols like AlexaCast, Tidal Connect, etc can be bridged to.
Yes I agree with you "serious streaming" may not be the best choice of words to refer to Amazon and Tidal, so "Mass streaming" is probably a more suitable phrase.

When I used "serious" I just meant manufacturers need to take into their reach/market seriously by incorporating them.

On the other hand, about these "serious streaming" that you listed like DLNA, Roon, HQPlayer NAA, uPnP, I can't comment on HQPlayer, but for the rest, I just want to cry about the state of various issues when using Roon :sob: lol...

For example, I have been having all kinds of issues with Roon such as downsampling when played via UPnP to Shield Pro which has a chip that is capable of Atmos, multichannel and 192/24. Another issue is Roon not supporting UPnP which involves installing DLNA bridge software which is Windows only, causing another downsampling problem to my AVR that is also capable of 192/24 but not getting it. LOL.. these "serious" protocols sure have lots of issues. And a visit to various Roon threads reveal all other users with similar issues and wish lists for Roon to provide official support, but getting no response.

Arguably, who is more "serious" about supporting the protocols and integration properly even if they are not audiophile level? Sad to say, Wiim. Their responsiveness on their forums is commendable. AlexaCast and TidalConnect just work, period. None of the quirkiness of trying to send Roon to various endpoints which have various limitations. (I still love Roon though, I am a lifetime member)
This seems like a much better option than the Mini for sure, but the lack of USB output, or even coax, is a real bummer. A lot of DACs don't bother supporting more than 96khz over optical SPDIF, opting instead for full 192khz support only over coaxial.
By the way, the new Wiim Pro does have optical and coax out now. But yes, the lack of USB is a real issue. I don't know how it will play the DSD files natively even when it becomes Roon Ready next month.

I use HQPlayer a lot, so Wiim Mini is definitely a no-go for me personally. But there's obv nothing wrong with folks not using HQPlayer, and being fine with the 96khz/192khz cap. Any of these AK4499EX DACs should support 192khz over optical, so in context the Pro seems a fine option for you -- especially if paired with an ultra low noise power supply.
Wiim Pro is fine I think but when playing DSD files, I will be mad about its lack of USB out to competent DACs.

You don't have to have MQA to use Tidal. And honestly you should probably avoid MQA anyway, it's not lossless and adds some serious weird high-frequency noise even after decode.

MQA needs to die. :)
I don't really care about MQA, just that Tidal offers some old albums in higher bit depth and sampling rate than other platforms, which are mainly MQA. Having said that, Amazon Music is catching up with its database size, plus many of its tracks are almost double of Tidal's bit rate so I think it's just a matter of time before Amazon takes over Tidal as the "high-res" platform so I want my streamer to be more future proof, which seems to be impossible.

Because low end devices like Wiim Pro have perfected the streaming protocols, while higher end streamers like Bluesound Node (mid range really), Rivo, Gustard A26 are still lacking some (or many) protocols that Wiim already has.

Jan 21, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #156 of 996
Yes I agree with you "serious streaming" may not be the best choice of words to refer to Amazon and Tidal, so "Mass streaming" is probably a more suitable phrase.

When I used "serious" I just meant manufacturers need to take into their reach/market seriously by incorporating them.

On the other hand, about these "serious streaming" that you listed like DLNA, Roon, HQPlayer NAA, uPnP, I can't comment on HQPlayer, but for the rest, I just want to cry about the state of various issues when using Roon :sob: lol...

For example, I have been having all kinds of issues with Roon such as downsampling when played via UPnP to Shield Pro which has a chip that is capable of Atmos, multichannel and 192/24. Another issue is Roon not supporting UPnP which involves installing DLNA bridge software which is Windows only, causing another downsampling problem to my AVR that is also capable of 192/24 but not getting it. LOL.. these "serious" protocols sure have lots of issues. And a visit to various Roon threads reveal all other users with similar issues and wish lists for Roon to provide official support, but getting no response.
The Shield Pro only supports 16-bit 48khz over the native uPnP implementation due to android limitations. BubbleUPnP is the way to go for uPnP on Shield, as it bypasses the android audio stack. I believe it natively supports DLNA as well, which would address your issue with needing a DLNA<->uPnP bridge for Roon.
Arguably, who is more "serious" about supporting the protocols and integration properly even if they are not audiophile level? Sad to say, Wiim. Their responsiveness on their forums is commendable. AlexaCast and TidalConnect just work, period. None of the quirkiness of trying to send Roon to various endpoints which have various limitations. (I still love Roon though, I am a lifetime member)
Someone needs to badger them about audiophile-class outputs. I2S, USB, etc. :p
By the way, the new Wiim Pro does have optical and coax out now. But yes, the lack of USB is a real issue. I don't know how it will play the DSD files natively even when it becomes Roon Ready next month.
Ah I see, the picture I was looking at didn't have the coax jack. My bad! As for DSD, it might be able to do DSD over PCM.
Wiim Pro is fine I think but when playing DSD files, I will be mad about its lack of USB out to competent DACs.

I don't really care about MQA, just that Tidal offers some old albums in higher bit depth and sampling rate than other platforms, which are mainly MQA. Having said that, Amazon Music is catching up with its database size, plus many of its tracks are almost double of Tidal's bit rate so I think it's just a matter of time before Amazon takes over Tidal as the "high-res" platform so I want my streamer to be more future proof, which seems to be impossible.

Because low end devices like Wiim Pro have perfected the streaming protocols, while higher end streamers like Bluesound Node (mid range really), Rivo, Gustard A26 are still lacking some (or many) protocols that Wiim already has.
Would be nice to see Amazon Music integrate with more partners, like Roon.

Jan 22, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #159 of 996
BINGO!
Waiting for good objective performance as well to rule out any glitches .. and I will be ready to pull the trigger! Thanks for clarifying!
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/gustard-a26/

Objectively it looks good overall. The main thing holding me from pulling the trigger is to see if they do a Pro version like they did with the ESS version of their DAC

Jan 22, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #161 of 996
Hello all, I'm also looking for similar comparisons of A26 with X26 pro, RME, Bifrost; and A26 vs R26 sound signature difference. Could not find these so far. If possible can someone recommend which one would be a better pair with planers like Arya stealth please. Mostly I wanted to know high level sound aignature difference between A26, X26 pto and R26. Thank you.

Jan 22, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #162 of 996
I'm not a fan of R2R, the lack of dynamics and for high end products the overly-smoothed presentation is just... dull.
A26 is nothing like this. It'll rock for EDM.
Are you referring to a specific R2R? I've been curious about a comparaison with the R26 like others here. If you have more specific info, then please do share.

Jan 22, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #163 of 996
Are you referring to a specific R2R? I've been curious about a comparaison with the R26 like others here. If you have more specific info, then please do share.
Any of Holo's offerings, Hifiman's various attempts, the Cayin R2R add-on for one of their DAPs (don't recall the model number). They're either grainy and have a metric ton of artifacts above 8khz or they're overly smooth. Holo is way, way too smooth for example -- both spring 3 and may.

I haven't heard R26.

Jan 22, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #165 of 996
Soundnews just released a review of the A26

Users who are viewing this thread

Back