Gustard A20H DAC (Dual AK4497EQ, analog preamp, headphone amp, all in one)
Jul 13, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #376 of 391
Hello. Doeas anybodu knows if I can use SE and XLR outputs together for bi-amping? I have an SE amp for highs and mids and Hypex with an XLR inputs for the Lows...
Not sure if it can be done for biamping, but you can use the rca and XLR outputs together.

Jul 15, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #377 of 391
I've read through this whole thread and I'm not sure if anyone answered this. Does it have a button for switching between the headphone and pre-outs? Or does it just switch when the headphone is plugged in? Or do they both play all the time?

Also does the pre-outs have an option for variable output?

From reading the descriptions on the sales pages, it appears that all of the outputs can be used simultaneously.
And, the pre-out can be set for variable level.
Here are a couple of quotes, from one of the eBay vendors:

• Full Discrete Component High Current Pure Class A balanced headphone amplifier, each channel uses two independent amplification units to form a symmetrical output line, single-ended and balanced output at the same time, providing an excellent listening platform for the majority of headphone lovers

• High / low selectable gain in preamp mode. Supports 60 analog lossless volume adjustment. Remote control with the post-amplifier, active speaker; can also turn off the pre-function, DA line straight out. RCA single-ended and XLR balanced output at the same time

Aug 13, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #379 of 391
Hi

I read thru the posting and could not find answer. Most listening will be on headphone but will connect output to stereo amp (Marantz PM 8005)

I use ATH-AD900 SE, Sony MDR-Z7 balanced, and Audio Technical ATH-E70 balanced. In near purchase HE560 or Oppo PM2

There are two ways I am thinking of using ;
1) I have Sony WM1A. I am thinking of using it as transport or DAC.
2) connect to iMac running audio nirvana.

Question
1) will I be better off with Gustard H10 or H20?
2) should I justt get Sony TA-ZH1ES?
3) wondering if I can get adapter from Sony 4.4 pentacon balanced output to coax input?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #381 of 391
Does anyone have experience with the Denon D7200 on the Gustard A20H?

Hi sorry for the late reply, and I don't have the Denon D7200, but I did just recently get the Fostex TR-X00s Mahogany and from what I understand, the Denon's have a very similar sound signature. This is the dream combo I've been searching for. I have an Audio-GD NFB 11 and I've tried lots of headphones (LCD2-C, HD660s, Focal Clear). My daily drivers before I got the Fostex were Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow Open and I loved them. Trying the Fostex X00s has me wondering why anyone is using anything else and combined with the Gustard, I'm in love. I'm not the best a describing sound but they are so natural, sharp, but also so full on the low end, without being muddled. I'm basically selling everything else I own because the Fostex imo does it all. Incredible low end, detailed mids, natural sound, balanced highs, big sound stage and width without sounding faded, perfect imaging. I haven't heard anything in the "summit-fi" region, but to me the Fostex has such a perfect balance and "fun factor" I don't feel like I need anything else. BUT YOU NEED TO CHANGE THE PADS, I'm using ZMF Ori Suede at the moment.

Sorry, I should be putting this in the Fostex thread, but I just wanted to share how I found my "end game". With the Gustard's big, accurate sound, using the balanced output, giving all the information to the Fostex which really allows it to shine. To me they make a perfect pairing. The Denons should be very similar, but sorry, I can't say specifically that model.

Hope this helps!

Nov 27, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #383 of 391
Hi sorry for the late reply, and I don't have the Denon D7200, but I did just recently get the Fostex TR-X00s Mahogany and from what I understand, the Denon's have a very similar sound signature. This is the dream combo I've been searching for. I have an Audio-GD NFB 11 and I've tried lots of headphones (LCD2-C, HD660s, Focal Clear). My daily drivers before I got the Fostex were Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow Open and I loved them. Trying the Fostex X00s has me wondering why anyone is using anything else and combined with the Gustard, I'm in love. I'm not the best a describing sound but they are so natural, sharp, but also so full on the low end, without being muddled. I'm basically selling everything else I own because the Fostex imo does it all. Incredible low end, detailed mids, natural sound, balanced highs, big sound stage and width without sounding faded, perfect imaging. I haven't heard anything in the "summit-fi" region, but to me the Fostex has such a perfect balance and "fun factor" I don't feel like I need anything else. BUT YOU NEED TO CHANGE THE PADS, I'm using ZMF Ori Suede at the moment.

Sorry, I should be putting this in the Fostex thread, but I just wanted to share how I found my "end game". With the Gustard's big, accurate sound, using the balanced output, giving all the information to the Fostex which really allows it to shine. To me they make a perfect pairing. The Denons should be very similar, but sorry, I can't say specifically that model.

Hope this helps!

Many thank you for your comments!
However, I have since decided on the RME ADI 2 DAC and have fallen in love with it.

Apr 2, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #389 of 391
Only mobile ones.
But since many others have already made this comparison, I've saved myself this.
Even the first love can be real :)

I searched for a comparison between the RME ADI-2 Dac and the Gustard A20H which I own, and found nothing.
If you can remember, what did people say about their sound quality ?

I'm tempted to try the ADI-2 but I'm afraid of it being too neutral, the A20H being slightly warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back