Gungnir Owners: Would you "upgrade" to another DAC under $2000ish?
Dec 15, 2012 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

aphinity

100+ Head-Fier
Gungnir Crew,

I'm wondering if you had the option of "upgrading" your Gungnir to another DAC under $2000, would you?

My source is a Macbook Pro and I've got balanced Dynaudio DBM-50 monitors that I'm looking to pair with a DAC.

I've been reading a ton on DAC options in this range and the Gungnir is definitely a contender.

So I'd like to know what Gungnir owners with potential upgradeitis might upgrade to in the sub $2000 range?

Might you prefer the Violectric DAC V800?  Anedio D2?  Grace M903? Of course there's the W4S DAC2 and Antelope Zodiac too.

I've got Grado MS2is so thinking about getting the solid sate Asgard hp amp too if I go the Schiit route.  I listen to all ranges of music from jazz, funk, reggae, electronic, ambient, dub....

Ultimately, I'm looking for a DAC and amp combo in the sub $2000 range to drive Dynaudio monitors and Grados.  

Thanks in advance for you candor and insights.

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 20
Personally, I'm not tempted to upgrade (with the caveat that I bought the Gungnir to tide me over until I finish a long-term DIY DAC project with the PCM1704, some custom digital filters, and a tube output stage, and that project is still ongoing). That said, the Gungnir has an organic quality that is really quite enchanting. It is not lean in the least, while also not being dark. The top end is essentially perfect to my ears. Unfortunately, I can't compare to any of the options you've listed, because I haven't heard them, except for the Benchmark DAC-1, which I have heard and feel that it lacks a certain amount of organic realism and is a little on the bright side, but only by a touch. Based on what I've read, I think you'll probably find that the Gungnir is a little on the warmer/less lean side than its Sabre competitors (Violetric, Anedio, etc.), at perhaps the expense of detail.

I will say though that I don't think the USB input is as good as the other inputs, by a small margin. If I was buying it again, I'd go for the USB-less version and get a good separate USB adapter if needed.

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:
Personally, I'm not tempted to upgrade (with the caveat that I bought the Gungnir to tide me over until I finish a long-term DIY DAC project with the PCM1704, some custom digital filters, and a tube output stage, and that project is still ongoing). That said, the Gungnir has an organic quality that is really quite enchanting. It is not lean in the least, while also not being dark. The top end is essentially perfect to my ears. Unfortunately, I can't compare to any of the options you've listed, because I haven't heard them, except for the Benchmark DAC-1, which I have heard and feel that it lacks a certain amount of organic realism and is a little on the bright side, but only by a touch. Based on what I've read, I think you'll probably find that the Gungnir is a little on the warmer/less lean side than its Sabre competitors (Violetric, Anedio, etc.), at perhaps the expense of detail.

I will say though that I don't think the USB input is as good as the other inputs, by a small margin. If I was buying it again, I'd go for the USB-less version and get a good separate USB adapter if needed.

that's great info, MoonUnit.  thanks.

yeah, I'm definitely up for warmer and organic sounds from my DAC - a lil musicality boost if you will.  i am more of a listener nowadays vs producing music and needing an analytical monitoring setup.  i live in Southern California and would be cool to support a CAL-American company in Schiit.

are you dealing with any of those screeching issues out of the Gungnir though?  has it been stable for you via computer sources? i've seen posts from several Gungnir owners mentioning issues like that.  wondering if that's been resolved and an explanation/solution has been found?

re: the USB adapter, would the Music FidElity V-LINK192 | USB/SPDIF CONV be an option you'd entertain?

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/vSeries/v-link192/

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 20
I would say the only DAC I'd even consider would be the Metrum Octave. The D2 is very nice, but I was left wanting.
Gungnir is much better to my ears than either V800 or MDAC.

Ultimately without auditioning any beforehand, I'd only take my chances with the Octave DAC.

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:
I would say the only DAC I'd even consider would be the Metrum Octave. The D2 is very nice, but I was left wanting.

Ultimately without auditioning any beforehand, I'd only take my chances with the Octave DAC.

appreciate the recommend in the Octave, i'll check it out.  think i'm going to need the balanced XLR outputs to my Dynaudio monitors though...

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

appreciate the recommend in the Octave, i'll check it out.  think i'm going to need the balanced XLR outputs to my Dynaudio monitors though...

Ah, yea, no deal on that then, sadly.

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 20
Anyone heard the audioGd NFB10.32 dac-amp combo?

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 20
New Wyred for Sound MPRE looks enticing too.  decisions, decisions....

[size=small]mPRE Features[/size]
  1. Fully balanced,  Dual mono design
  2. Next generation input and output buffers
  3. Built-in ESS DAC which supports 24 bit 192 kHz on all digital inputs
  4. Asynchronous USB input which supports Windows machines, is driverless for Mac, and supports Linux
  5. Headphone amplifier
  6. Remote Control
  7. 12V DC trigger input and output
  8. Efficient (no heat)
  9. Fully balanced input to output
  10. Discrete input and output buffers
  11. Unbalanced to balanced conversion (when RCA input selected and XLR outputs are being used)
  12. Robust construction
  13. Machined and anodized aluminum front panel, top, and sides
  14. 100kΩ input impedance
  15. 1 set of balanced (XLR) inputs
  16. 1 set of balanced (XLR) outputs
  17. 2 sets of unbalanced (RCA) inputs (one is selectable as HT bypass)
  18. 2 sets of unbalanced (RCA) outputs (one is selectable as a fixed 2.0V output)
  19. Home Theater Bypass
  20. External selectable voltage mains 115/230VAC
  21. Compact size (8"W x 3.5"H x 8"D)
  22. 8 lbs.
  23. Covered by a 3 YEAR WARRANTY

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/803982

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 20
Grace M903 and Benchmark DAC2 looking enticing......

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #10 of 20
As discussed elsewhere on the net. Looks very promising.

New $1600 DAC from B.M.C. 

"The PureDAC delivers a DAC of the highest quality. It combines its DAC with a balanced, reference-level headphone amplifier, a balanced preamplifier, and B.M.C.’s exclusive Digital Intelligent Gain Management (DIGM), a volume and amplification control system that calibrates gain without dividing or downgrading the input signal …. The PureDAC also boasts a high-resolution asynchronous USB interface, digital AES/EBU, Toslink and coaxial inputs, balanced analog outputs, RCA output jacks, and a special B.M.C. link for connecting directly to a B.M.C. amplifier."

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

only by a touch? that thing is like +5db treble....     its so harsh and bright that it makes even LCD-2 overly bright,I was trying it yesterday,with HD 800 that was most awfull sounding headphones I ever heard in my life

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #13 of 20
I put the Gungnir up against my Minimax Plus. The Minimax was in "Solid State" mode. I switched between the two using an April music Stello U3 spdif converter. Each DAC was connected to my preamp. Sources were switched on the preamp to go between the two. I noticed the Minimax had a slightly more open sound focusing a little more on the higher frequencies. Organic is a great way to describe the Gungnir's sound signature. It also sounded neutral to me, not dark or tube-like at all. I didn't miss any detail that I heard in the Minimax Plus. It sounds like it's all there to me. Keep in mind I have 4 Dexa Discrete opamps under the hood which added $275 to the $1100 price tag. I prefer the Gungnir to the Minimax for its "organic" sound. It becomes a little addictive after a while. Not a bad showing for Schiit! Especially considering the $600 or so price difference!

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Can you let me know what you preferred about the gungnir over the mdac?  

Has anyone compared the gungnir to the Rega DAC?

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Can you let me know what you preferred about the gungnir over the mdac?  

Has anyone compared the gungnir to the Rega DAC?

I really just like Gungnir's transparent nature. In fact, in that regard it competes with a lot of DACs I've spent extensive time with.
Including M51, D2, W4S, Specifically I found the Mdac to be smearing and just lack in overall detail retrieval and a soft bottom end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back