Gun-Fi
Feb 18, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #1,066 of 1,730
It's a Colt Official Police, c. 1944.

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #1,067 of 1,730
Kinda dead thread. Sorry for the bit of necromancy, but I just have to:

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #1,070 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill St. Clair /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks to me like an M1, the rifle that won WWII. Holds an 8-round en-bloc clip of .30-06.

Indeed it is.

Mar 20, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #1,075 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill St. Clair /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Usually called an "M1 Garand". Don't know why I forgot that yesterday. The M1A also uses the Garand action. It has a box magazine, usually holding 20 rounds of .308. The Ruger Mini-14 & Mini Thirty also have the Garand action.

Strictly speaking, the Army knew it as the "United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1". The "Garand" namesake is that of the rifle's eponymous designer, John C Garand.
Not sure if this came into use for the same reason that "Colt" became synonymous with "M1911", or because the simultaneous existence of the "United States Carbine, Caliber .30, M1" (better known simply as the M1 Carbine).

Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not so much. They are pretty readily available through the CMP.

CMP Home
CMP Sales

Just so. But apparently there was a time when gun shows and the like were awash with surplus M1s in the same way that they're still awash with Mosin-Nagants. If that ever was the case, I'm too young to have experienced it.

Mar 21, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #1,076 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by C38368 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if this came into use for the same reason that "Colt" became synonymous with "M1911"

Which was, of course, John Moses Browning's iteration of the world's finest cavalry pistol.

Quote:

I always wished the Ruskies had made a semi 7.62x54 that could be bought surplus for cheap.

Fifteen or twenty years ago, there was a glut of Dragunov copies selling for about what they were actually worth (ie. cheap).

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #1,077 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which was, of course, John Moses Browning's iteration of the world's finest cavalry pistol.

Err... and that would be which one, exactly?

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #1,078 of 1,730
C38368, is that also a Springfield 1911? I have one just like that - a fine pistol.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've meant to pick up a M1 one of these days. My grandfather carried one in WW II and I grew up hearing plenty of praise for it, as well as for his 1911.

Not to derail the thread, but I love your table! One of the old Craftsman/Mission tables in quartersawn white oak, isn't it? Nice patina, too! I've had one much like it for years. New furniture just isn't the same.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #1,079 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by C38368 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Err... and that would be which one, exactly?

John Moses Browning designed the Model 1911 .45ACP pistol and cartridge. The Model 1911 was made by Colt, at first, under license. The cartridge was originally designed around a 200 grain bullet, but the Army armory had a backstock of 230 grain jacketed revolver bullets which the staff there elected to substitute. The Model 1911 was the first purpose-designed semi-automatic cavalry pistol. It last saw active service as a cavalry pistol in 1941 where is was again employed to great success in a U.S. Army cavalry charge.

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #1,080 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John Moses Browning designed the Model 1911 .45ACP pistol and cartridge. The Model 1911 was made by Colt, at first, under license. The cartridge was originally designed around a 200 grain bullet, but the Army armory had a backstock of 230 grain jacketed revolver bullets which the staff there elected to substitute. The Model 1911 was the first purpose-designed semi-automatic cavalry pistol. It last saw active service as a cavalry pistol in 1941 where is was again employed to great success in a U.S. Army cavalry charge.

Yes, of course. I must've misunderstood your last post--I thought you meant to say that the 1911 itself was derived from an earlier cavalry pistol. JMB designed it (I was under the impression that he did so for Colt) based on several of his earlier designs, most notably the M1900.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
C38368, is that also a Springfield 1911? I have one just like that - a fine pistol.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've meant to pick up a M1 one of these days. My grandfather carried one in WW II and I grew up hearing plenty of praise for it, as well as for his 1911.

Not to derail the thread, but I love your table! One of the old Craftsman/Mission tables in quartersawn white oak, isn't it? Nice patina, too! I've had one much like it for years. New furniture just isn't the same.
smily_headphones1.gif

It is a Springer, the basic basic GI model (nowhere more evident than in the sights!), and I love it to death. And pretty close on the table. It belonged to my great grandmother and has been around since at least 1918. It is oak, and it's finished in the Mission style, but is rather more ornate down below, sitting on a central pedestal with four claw-footed legs radiating from it. Not rightly sure what style that would be! And you're right--there's just something about antique furniture for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back