Guitar-fi anyone?
Oct 17, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #571 of 833
  How are you liking the amp beerguy??

It looks really pretty :) It's a super huge amp for being only 5 watts

Are you planning on picking up any pedals anytime soon?

It's a 2x10 cabinet, so yeah, it's pretty big. Weighs around 27 lbs. Sounds great, I'm liking it a lot. It's designed to be able to get tube breakup similar to a 100W amp driven hard, at reasonable levels, and so far I find it does that quite well. Very easy to get good crunch at bedroom levels with the OD channel, plus it has an excellent cabinet-modeling headphone output. The clean channel is nice if you want crystal clear, but the OD channel is pretty clean if you keep the gain low and control your pick attack. The amp has very good touch sensitivity with even a moderate amount of gain.

I have a Zoom G2.1u multi-effect pedal, plus I just got a Danoelectric Fish & Chips EQ pedal. I'm starting to look at getting a pedal board together, probably going to get a compressor pedal next. I'm also considering building some pedals to save a few bucks.

Oct 17, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #572 of 833
Yay... something that I can actually talk about and not feel stupid about on this forum (just getting into headphones). I play mainly Blues and Classical. The blues is on an Epiphone Dot Studio to a Marshall Mg30fx. It's a great setup for me. On the classical side of things I'm using a Takamine G-124. Oh and I'm left handed if that matters. Those are only my main things though I have a couple other guitars that don't get as much play time.

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #573 of 833
@beerguy0 niiiiice :) I want to start buying some pedals to experiment around but I'm not sure where to start. If I should buy separate pedals or maybe looking into like a line pod hd500

@DrAwesome3800 how's the Epiphone dot? I have a Ibanez AS103 that I want to change the pick ups on later on. I've been playing with my SE custom 24 waaaaay more. It's making me consider if I should sell the Ibanez, but I have a feeling I'll regret it later on if I do. 

Oh, does your takamine classical have fret marks on them? Mine doesn't have any dots, so it's REALLY hard for me to play on it lol I can't find the 5th fret as quickly as I want to :/ 

(I mainly wanted to learn to play Final Fantasy songs on the classical lol )

Hopefully later on when I have more money I can upgrade my amp. (and build my own strat too!) Still debating if I want to get a Marshall amp or a Fender. 

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #574 of 833
  @beerguy0 niiiiice :) I want to start buying some pedals to experiment around but I'm not sure where to start. If I should buy separate pedals or maybe looking into like a line pod hd500

@DrAwesome3800 how's the Epiphone dot? I have a Ibanez AS103 that I want to change the pick ups on later on. I've been playing with my SE custom 24 waaaaay more. It's making me consider if I should sell the Ibanez, but I have a feeling I'll regret it later on if I do. 

Oh, does your takamine classical have fret marks on them? Mine doesn't have any dots, so it's REALLY hard for me to play on it lol I can't find the 5th fret as quickly as I want to :/ 

Hopefully later on when I have more money I can upgrade my amp. (and build my own strat too!) Still debating if I want to get a Marshall amp or a Fender. 

Line 6 makes some good stuff. I find a multi-effect pedal, while not as good as a pedal chain, to be a good way to figure out what effects you like. If you play around and discover you hate flangers, then you know to not bother to add one to your pedal board, when you get to that point. The modeling stuff can be nice too. I like the Mesa-Boogie model in my Zoom pedal, for instance.

I also have an Epiphone Dot, and they are definitely nice guitars. I like mine, but I recently got a PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow and will be selling the Dot, mostly due to the size and weight aggravating my shoulder problems.

There are a lot options for amps beyond Fender and Marshall. Blackstar amps have an ISF control that lets you go from US to British tone. I also have an Egnater Tweaker that has numerous tone controls to tailor the sound to whatever you like. It really depends on what kind of music you play. If you're a metal guy, then you probably do not want a Fender. Check out some of the guitar forums and seek advice there before you jump into an amp purchase.

Here are a couple to get you started. (Sorry about your wallet.
evil_smiley.gif
) The Gear Page tends to be more boutique/vintage oriented, but gets a lot of traffic. Guitar Forums gets less traffic, but has some very knowledgeable folks that can help.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php

http://www.guitarforums.com/index.php

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #575 of 833
Re pedals, I'll give a little plug for a friend of mine. Matt's shop is literally a stone's throw across the parking lot from Bottleheadquarters - one big room of shelves jam packed with pedals.

http://www.themadape.com/

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #578 of 833

I love my dot it really can be turned into whatever sound you want with a little tweaking. I think I may add a bigsby to mine if i can find one suitable. That will add a little more tone. And no mine does no have the fret markers as most traditional classical guitars do not. After playing it for a while it really becomes second nature, though ive been playing mine for two years and still have to count from time to time. On a previous guitar I had that did not have markers so I took white finger nail polish and put it on the side of the neck and that works fine  just be careful as to where you put it. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #581 of 833
Hey folks, been a while. Recently started playing out again last year, and decided that a major rig renovation is in order. Here's the new setup for home, studio, stage... everything.

Not the best photo, but I'm somewhat underequipped in the camera department (no thanks to all the headphones and guitar gear I'm buying). Anyway, have quit my Gibson habit (for now), and switched to Reverend. Had been rocking a Gibson Nighthawk for a few years (after rocking a Les Paul and SG for many more), mainly because of the wide variety of tones I can pull out of the Hawk. That said, there's a nasal twang to the Nighthawk that just annoys me, and it just doesn't have enough cut for me. Have also shaken up my pedalboard a bunch. Previously rocked a Timmy > Jetter GSB > Tech 21 Boost DLA > Malekko Chicklet > Mesa F30. But decided to take a different route after playing with this setup for a few years.

So here's the rundown on the rig:
Reverend Reeves Gabrels II > TC Polytune Mini > Walrus Audio Jupiter (Black Friday edition) > Tech 21 Oxford > Eventide H9 > ZT Lunchbox

Bascially, with this rig, I can pretty much cover a lot of ground tonally, plus run direct if I have to - the Oxford puts out a line level signal. I'm pretty much a dirty amp, roll off volume for clean tone kinda guy now. Most of the time when I play out, I don't bring my own amp and just use whatever's been catered for backline-wise. If the amp gets me where I wanna go, great. If I get a Jazz chorus, or some solid state thing, no worries - I'll run the amp in clean, and run the Oxford as a preamp to put me in my preferred tonal ballpark. Speaking of which, the Oxford gives me a wide range of Orange-flavoured tones - the knobs are amazingly dynamic and interactive, and a slight twist brings about a dramatic difference. Spent hours just experimenting with tones. Amazing. Sounds best run into the front of an amp, but it'll work for DI to a PA (didn't try), or direct into an audio interface for recording (tried, sounded decent but a bit too dry).

With the H9, I get to run more effects than just a delay and reverb (as I had on my previous board), but the single effect restriction forces me to really use these effects sparingly and make them count. I don't stack effects anymore, not like when I ran my monster 10-pedal board years ago. Have long repented of my many effects sins. 

The ZT is really something else though. Its tiny size belies its huge, huge sound. It's solid state, puts out about 200W (Class A/B). It's got a lovely, lovely Fender-y clean tone. Brittle overdrive as you turn the gain up - not my thing, though might suit some raunchier blues players. Slightly mid-ish response which I had to dial out with the Oxford. 

OK, I think I've gone on enough.Here's another pic of the Reverend. Because, flame maple top.

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #584 of 833
Just getting into the whole guitar thing.  Taking lessons at the moment but probably accomplishing more based off of Youtube videos at this point.

Picked up a shop built Stratocaster copy with Texas Special pick-ups and an AXL Medway Special amp with Celestion GM12 Greenback for the electric side.

And a Martin OMC-160GTE for the analog side
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #585 of 833
  Just getting into the whole guitar thing.  Taking lessons at the moment but probably accomplishing more based off of Youtube videos at this point.

Picked up a shop built Stratocaster copy with Texas Special pick-ups and an AXL Medway Special amp with Celestion GM12 Greenback for the electric side.

Ahhh Texas specials, reminds me of SRV... Great pickups on an equally great guitar ! Have fun !
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back