Guitar-fi anyone?
Jul 9, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #466 of 832
Hi guys. Thanks for noticing. The Tode is a bit unconventional, like all of our stuff. We have a few demo videos on youtube, including one with Jack Parker of Tumbledown playing that alder hardtail Strat, which is a partscaster I put together from a Mojotone body and a Mini Strat short scale neck for my short fingers.  The Strat part starts around 2:17 -

Tode is not the first guitar amp I have done, but it's the first that I was able to work into a "kitable" (don't bother looking it up, I think I just made that up) format and still like the sound.

Jul 9, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #467 of 832
Quote:
Hi guys. Thanks for noticing. The Tode is a bit unconventional, like all of our stuff. We have a few demo videos on youtube, including one with Jack Parker of Tumbledown playing that alder hardtail Strat, which is a partscaster I put together from a Mojotone body and a Mini Strat short scale neck for my short fingers.  The Strat part starts around 2:17 -

Tode is not the first guitar amp I have done, but it's the first that I was able to work into a "kitable" (don't bother looking it up, I think I just made that up) format and still like the sound.

Wow - what a great sound. The 335 had such a nice "gritty" sound. And the strat was so classic strat-ish. :)  The very last segment of the video - that tone immediately reminded of Scott Henderson. To me - tubes and good rock-n-roll pair are just meant to be together. Cool little amp! Nice job!

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #468 of 832
Thanks for the complements. Since I had built it myself I was quite happy with the sounds Jack was getting from the Strat. Last guitar I built broke a bunch of rules about tonewoods and I ended up with kind of a turd, so I stuck with the standard woods for this strat. Hopefully the amp will do a good job of letting the personality of different guitars through. We also have a demo of my friend Mino Christante playing a Taylor acoustic with a peizo bridge pickup and I think the amp does equally well with that guitar.

Since this is Head-Fi I should mention that the amp does have a headphone jack. We have been using it primarily with ATH-A900s, which offer pretty good isolation. 

Whoa, just saw your guitar list - holy smokes! I'm hoping, soon, to put up a demo of my bud Art Khu playing an Epi Joe Pass that I gave him. Not the caliber of your jazz boxes, but it's from one of the better Korean factories, I put an Armstrong bridge pup in it and Art is a good player. Here's a sample of him playing the Epi and a different amp that I built for him, on Jacqui Naylor's album Lucky Girl.

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #469 of 832
Quote:
Thanks for the complements. Since I had built it myself I was quite happy with the sounds Jack was getting from the Strat. Last guitar I built broke a bunch of rules about tonewoods and I ended up with kind of a turd, so I stuck with the standard woods for this strat. Hopefully the amp will do a good job of letting the personality of different guitars through. We also have a demo of my friend Mino Christante playing a Taylor acoustic with a peizo bridge pickup and I think the amp does equally well with that guitar.

Since this is Head-Fi I should mention that the amp does have a headphone jack. We have been using it primarily with ATH-A900s, which offer pretty good isolation. 

Whoa, just saw your guitar list - holy smokes! I'm hoping, soon, to put up a demo of my bud Art Khu playing an Epi Joe Pass that I gave him. Not the caliber of your jazz boxes, but it's from one of the better Korean factories, I put an Armstrong bridge pup in it and Art is a good player. Here's a sample of him playing the Epi and a different amp that I built for him, on Jacqui Naylor's album Lucky Girl.

Cool sound clip - a mix between contemporary/smooth with a Brazilian influence. The guitar parts were short, but the tone was suprising. Art sounds like a good player - nice clean execution on the octaves! I'd be anxious to hear the demo yu mention.

BTW - never heard the term partscaster before, though I did have one myself. The shop's guitar guy put it together, not me. It had an ash body by Phil Kubicki, a Schecter vibrato, all Seymour Duncan electronics, Schaller tuners. It was a natural finish with a black pickguard. It played and sounded beautifully, but it never was comfortable for me - I've always been a Gibson kind of guy, starting with my first electric at 13 - an SG Pro. Nevertheless, as far as Strats went, it was gorgeous.

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #470 of 832
Quote:

Cool sound clip - a mix between contemporary/smooth with a Brazilian influence. The guitar parts were short, but the tone was suprising. Art sounds like a good player - nice clean execution on the octaves! I'd be anxious to hear the demo yu mention.

Yeah, Art's wife Jacqui is the singing diva, so she gets the spotlight on their 30 second samples. 
wink.gif
 He has quite a nice solo later in the song. It's all the more interesting for the fact that guitar is Art's third instrument. He's one of the Bay Area's most in demand jazz pianists, and plays a mean B3 as well, also bass. And he wrote a symphony earlier this year, that was debuted by the Oakland East Bay Symphony. I hear that lately he has been shedding with that Epi. Jacqui says he's channeling Wes Montgomery. Needless to say I am anxious for his demo too! We're pulling together the last few loose ends before we start shipping kits, and once we get the pre-ordered kits shipped we will start to get more demo amps into the hands of different players. 

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #473 of 832
Some nice gear here, but thought I'd just post something I saw earlier today on MusicRadar- Audio Technica and Vox have worked together to produce the 'AmPhone', which is basically an AmPlug in headphones by the sound of it. They haven't come out yet, but you can read a short piece on them here. There seems to be, similar to the AmPlug range, AC30, Twin, Lead and Bass versions

I have products from both companies, and am pleased with them so hopefully this could be interesting! 

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #474 of 832
Finally began upgrading my guitar gear recently.  My current rig includes a Taylor 714CE, Strat Plus, Agile Interceptor Pro 727 with Blackouts and Floyd Rose, Mesa Mark V head, Mesa 2x12 vertical slant rectifier cab, and I'm assembling a nice pedalboard.  I'm also thinking about an ES-335 next.

Sep 18, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #475 of 832
Quote:
Finally began upgrading my guitar gear recently.  My current rig includes a Taylor 714CE, Strat Plus, Agile Interceptor Pro 727 with Blackouts and Floyd Rose, Mesa Mark V head, Mesa 2x12 vertical slant rectifier cab, and I'm assembling a nice pedalboard.  I'm also thinking about an ES-335 next.

Just sold my Taylor 414ce 2009 Fall Limited the other day...saving up for a Martin D-45E Retro. I still have a Taylor 814ce that I pair with an Ultrasound Pro250, and a Custom Shop Telecaster, with a Mesa Mark V Combo. I'm working on a pedalboard as well...

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #477 of 832
I've been looking at getting a starter electrical guitar set up to learn with and this thread is not helping me with my budget.  Some beautiful pictures in here. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #478 of 832
Here are my electric guitars: Fender Modern Classic Custom Shop and Tom Anderson Hollow body T-style guitar

Crop of my current rig and gears

And I've just been into this (expensive) hobby for 4 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back