Guitar-fi anyone?
Jan 23, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #497 of 832
My main guitar is an ESP Japan custom shop. The quality of these are undisputedly the best around. I've modded the floyd rose trem with a "Floyd Upgrades" big brass block (for more sustain and resonance), and an ESP arming adjuster (for increased stability, and a slight increase in sustain and resonance throughout the body). I've upgraded the bridge pickup with a Duncan Custom which works well for the tuning I play in (drop-B), and the general style I play with it. I'm using Ernie Ball Cobalt strings, and I've become a believer in what this strings can deliver.

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #498 of 832
I have a Fender American stratocaster in tobacco sunburst, which has a Seymour Duncan hot rail in the bridge, similar to how Tom morello has it.

My newest purchase is an Epiphone sg, cherry red fitted with Seymour Duncan humbucker set, jb and jazz pickups. That is my main guitar at the moment, love it and was pretty cheap, guitar plus pickups around $360.

For amp I use Peavey valve king 112 combo. Pedals are evh flanger, Ernie Ball volume pedal, big dots tuner, boss dd6 delay. Would like to add a Dunlop wah sometime.

Strings I recommend the GHS strings.

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #500 of 832
Quote:
Adding to the axe collection:

but this thing is a royal pain to tune.

Wait until you change your strings' gauge !

tongue.gif

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #504 of 832
It's the Ibanez Edge III bridge, which is basically a copy of the Floyd Rose bridge. (The patents on the original FR bridge expired.)

I see. The first time I started tuning my first guitar with a floyd rose bridge I broke a string straight away because I forgot to take off the screws on the nut. :) Changing strings isn't that bad though. Just make sure you don't take off all the strings at once.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #505 of 832
Quote:
I've been looking at getting a starter electrical guitar set up to learn with and this thread is not helping me with my budget.  Some beautiful pictures in here. 

There are some good cheap used guitars out there.  Almost everything I have was bought used.  I bought four used Taylor acoustics and ended up keeping the one that sounded best to me which was a used $300.00 110E.  I thought it sounded better than the higher end Taylor 414 I had.  The playability is fantastic, it stays in tune due to the great tuners on it and the 110e I have sounds great.  

I bought a used Blackstar HT-5 tube head recently for $150.00.  I seen a guy on You Tube playing a Ratt song thought one of these and he sounded fantastic.  This amp does sound really good.  I am impressed by it.

A cheap Fender or Squire electric guitar can be found easily enough.  A used Mex Strat can be bought for $300.00 and sold for $300.00 if you want to get rid of it later on.  Those Mex Strats are very good for the money.      

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #506 of 832
Quote:
My main guitar is an ESP Japan custom shop. The quality of these are undisputedly the best around. I've modded the floyd rose trem with a "Floyd Upgrades" big brass block (for more sustain and resonance), and an ESP arming adjuster (for increased stability, and a slight increase in sustain and resonance throughout the body). I've upgraded the bridge pickup with a Duncan Custom which works well for the tuning I play in (drop-B), and the general style I play with it. I'm using Ernie Ball Cobalt strings, and I've become a believer in what this strings can deliver.

I have a set of the Ernie Ball Cobalt strings (9-42s) that I'm planning to put on my Epiphone Nighthawk when I change strings. I've read some good things about these strings, and I'm looking forward to trying them out. (I'm actually about due for a string change, so maybe I'll try them out tonight.)

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #507 of 832
Quote:

There are some good cheap used guitars out there.  Almost everything I have was bought used.  I bought four used Taylor acoustics and ended up keeping the one that sounded best to me which was a used $300.00 110E.  I thought it sounded better than the higher end Taylor 414 I had.  The playability is fantastic, it stays in tune due to the great tuners on it and the 110e I have sounds great.  

I bought a used Blackstar HT-5 tube head recently for $150.00.  I seen a guy on You Tube playing a Ratt song thought one of these and he sounded fantastic.  This amp does sound really good.  I am impressed by it.

A cheap Fender or Squire electric guitar can be found easily enough.  A used Mex Strat can be bought for $300.00 and sold for $300.00 if you want to get rid of it later on.  Those Mex Strats are very good for the money.      

I considered a Mex Strat for a while but could never find one on craigslist for a decent price.  The guitar I really wanted was a low end Gibson/Epiphone Les Paul body since a lot of the bands I listen to use that type of guitar.  However, ended up with a Schecter Damien Elite that was on close out for a discontinued color (dark metallic blue) at $230 shipped from Amazon because it reviewed as a quality build that holds tune well.  It's an attractive guitar with a nice fretboard, though the tone probably leans more toward metal with how much sustain the thing gets with through body strings.  I've been doing a little practice when I can in the evening, trying to build muscle memory for basic chords and also to pick a little faster.  Learning to play a guitar is as hard as I had imagined it being.  

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #508 of 832
I considered a Mex Strat for a while but could never find one on craigslist for a decent price.  The guitar I really wanted was a low end Gibson/Epiphone Les Paul body since a lot of the bands I listen to use that type of guitar.  However, ended up with a Schecter Damien Elite that was on close out for a discontinued color (dark metallic blue) at $230 shipped from Amazon because it reviewed as a quality build that holds tune well.  It's an attractive guitar with a nice fretboard, though the tone probably leans more toward metal with how much sustain the thing gets with through body strings.  I've been doing a little practice when I can in the evening, trying to build muscle memory for basic chords and also to pick a little faster.  Learning to play a guitar is as hard as I had imagined it being.  

Get the guitar you want most. If that is an Epi Les Paul then buy one. I recommend buying used, but that is just me. Playing guitar is hard at first, but for those that love it then it becomes easier and fun. I really like my Blackstar BH-5 amp for $150.00 used. That amp sounds great. I have played through vintage Marshalls and high end amps. I am impressed by the cheap Blackstar. I also thought it was the best sounding Blackstar model, but I like Marshall high gain to vintage tone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back