Guitar-fi anyone?
Jan 20, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #406 of 833
Does anyone have any experience with the Boss Loopstations? I was thinking about getting myself the new RC-30 when it comes out, but I'm still kinda hesitant because it looks like it's quite hard to actually time loops exactly right. So, if anyone has any more info on that I'd appreciate it.

Jan 23, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #407 of 833
I have the RC-20XL. True, you've got to get used to it, but after that the time loops should be in pace most of the time. Or you can use it with the metronome, but also then you must play in pace, otherwise it will sound odd when it loops back.

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #408 of 833

Quote:
I have the RC-20XL. True, you've got to get used to it, but after that the time loops should be in pace most of the time. Or you can use it with the metronome, but also then you must play in pace, otherwise it will sound odd when it loops back.

Thanks for your opinion. I'll give it a try at a shop when it comes out before buying it either way. How do you like the pedal aside from that?

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #409 of 833
I truly love it! But I must say, I don't use it that often any more. Sure it's fun, and I used it on some cozy gigs where I played with only a bass player.

But every time when I switch it on again I can play for several hours forgetting the time! :)

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #410 of 833

Quote:
I truly love it! But I must say, I don't use it that often any more. Sure it's fun, and I used it on some cozy gigs where I played with only a bass player.

But every time when I switch it on again I can play for several hours forgetting the time! :)

I don't really intend to use it when playing live. I just would like it to be able to get a simple blues rhythm going if there isn't another guitar player present. Such things would be my primary motivation for buying it and from what I've heard about the pedal so far it's quite capable of doing just that. Thanks again for your reply.

Jan 27, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #411 of 833
I have lost all the pics I had of my guitars somehow. The only pics I have right now are of my Godin 5th Avenue acoustic. I also have a 2000 Fender American Deluxe Strat and an Epiphone Dot which has been filled with Seymour Duncan Seth Lover SH55 pickups, Gibson selector switch, all new pots and wiring. I have not found a semi hollow that I like better. Except a Collings. :) My amp is a Fender Twin Reverb reissue.

Here is my first recording I did recently. I just graduated from college so I'm quite rusty as I have not played much in the last year or two. It's my interpretation of "Little Wing" with an SRV rip-off introduction and my own chord embellishments for the verse. It was only a single take so it's pretty rough. The recording was done with my Epi Dot into my Twin Reverb, recorded with a cheap microphone and a really nice rack mount Phillips ADC.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #413 of 833
My old roommate has an Apogee Duet for his macbook pro and some KRK Rockit 8s and for the money he paid I love them. We used them to record and master some vocal tracks for another friend. The Philips ADC I have right now is a $20,000 piece but I'm not doing it justice by using a $50 Radio Shack mic. :frowning2: I'm too broke to go get a Shure SM 57. The Philips ADC belongs to my current roommate.

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #414 of 833
i play a fender jazz bass MIA, and my 98 warwick corvette is going out in the next few weeks to get the hardware swapped out to gold! currently play through my fender 15 watt guitar amp for some distortion, or through my peavey tnt 600 watt

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #415 of 833
Looking into using my tax return to pick up a guitar, just curious what you guys would recommend? It would be my first. I'm not really into the acoustic sound, I mean I like songs and artists that use it, but I'm much more a fan of Sonic Youth, MBV, JAMC, etc that have that really fuzzy sound. Also love post-punk/new wave guitars, seems electric is for me.

I'm not sold yet, just sort of looking into it, but my budget (at the moment) is about $500. I'm not sure how my tax return will look as of yet as I am waiting on one more loan form, but I know I'll be getting that much at the very least. 

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #416 of 833

Quote:
Looking into using my tax return to pick up a guitar, just curious what you guys would recommend? It would be my first. I'm not really into the acoustic sound, I mean I like songs and artists that use it, but I'm much more a fan of Sonic Youth, MBV, JAMC, etc that have that really fuzzy sound. Also love post-punk/new wave guitars, seems electric is for me.

I'm not sold yet, just sort of looking into it, but my budget (at the moment) is about $500. I'm not sure how my tax return will look as of yet as I am waiting on one more loan form, but I know I'll be getting that much at the very least. 

Go and check out the following link (assuming you're completely new to playing guitar):

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

I'm not affiliated in any way with this guy, but I think he's done a really good job. There is a link somewhere where he talks about what guitar you should buy and other related stuff. 

In my opinion you should go with whatever you feel like playing. Although some people say that learning on an acoustic guitar is better, there's not much point in buying one if you just want to play metal for instance. Whether learning on an acoustic is better is questionable to begin with anyway. Aside from all that it's pretty hard to find a good acoustic guitar on a budget. 

So with all of that out of the way. What electric guitar should you be buying. Well, it doesn't really matter. Get what sounds good to you. My advice would be to go to a shop and check out some of the things they've got. Preferably take someone with you who can already play guitar so he can make sure you're not being ripped off in any way. He might also be able to play some tunes for you to establish which one you like. Whether you want a guitar with locking tuners, humbuckers, P90s, dimarzios or seymour duncans isn't really an issue at this point. You'll probably have another guitar and another amp by the time you're getting more serious anyway. Going for a second hand one is always a good option when you're on a budget. Buying a second hand from a shop has the advantage that they'll set the guitar up in a proper way (in a decent shop anyway) and has the disadvantage of being more expensive obviously.

And last but not least, the best thing you can do, in my opinion, is borrow a guitar from someone else and start playing to see if it's something you actually enjoy. It might just be that you can't really be bothered practising and you'll get bored after two weeks of trying. In that case no harm is done if you didn't buy a guitar in the first place.

Hope that helped a bit.

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #417 of 833
I'm in school so I know I'm not going to have a whole lot of time regardless of what I get. I'm debating on getting the $500 Fender Strat or just starting off with the sub-$300 Squire Strat, as that seems to be a pretty good starting point for beginners. Just going to start learning punk riffs, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, etc initially.

I'm doing plenty of research, and that site seems informative, I just don't want to have to end up upgrading too soon. I'd like something that can get me through my growing pains admirably.

Vivian Girls, Pains of Being Pure At Heart, Black Lips, Best Coast, WAVVES, etc..that genre dubbed as lo-fi is what I'd likely start playing as it's simple. Huge fan of punk/post-punk/post-rock etc. Not into technical **** like metal, respect it, but I'm much more a fan of the really simple, really fast stuff.

Feb 6, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #418 of 833
I would personally suggest looking around for used MIM Strats.  Unless the prices have increased recently (they're really good at doing that), I saw some for around $300 not too long ago and in very good condition.  They're typically better quality than the Squier's in that same price range too.

Definitely make a stop in a nearby guitar shop and take a look at some different guitars and see how they feel, how they sound, etc...  Make sure you get a guitar that feels good in your hands and sounds good to your ears.

Quote:
I'm in school so I know I'm not going to have a whole lot of time regardless of what I get. I'm debating on getting the $500 Fender Strat or just starting off with the sub-$300 Squire Strat, as that seems to be a pretty good starting point for beginners. Just going to start learning punk riffs, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, etc initially.

I'm doing plenty of research, and that site seems informative, I just don't want to have to end up upgrading too soon. I'd like something that can get me through my growing pains admirably.

Vivian Girls, Pains of Being Pure At Heart, Black Lips, Best Coast, WAVVES, etc..that genre dubbed as lo-fi is what I'd likely start playing as it's simple. Huge fan of punk/post-punk/post-rock etc. Not into technical **** like metal, respect it, but I'm much more a fan of the really simple, really fast stuff.

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #420 of 833
I've been second-guessing the MexiStrat idea. I just don't know if $500 is the way to go for my first guitar. I did enquire on Craigslist about a Fender strat of some sort, I think an 03 Mexistrat, that is selling for $200.

I'm thinking more and more to just get a Yamaha Pacifica 112v and a Fender Superchamp or something along those lines for an amp. Down the road grab a Fender when the money allows. Still not sold as to what I'm getting, but we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back