Guitar-fi anyone?
May 4, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #241 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, that is true, it is the lower level Gibson but I love it and love the sound =). I tried several guitars in the shop and I liked this one the best in my price range.

I don't see why a starter can not start with a Gibson Faded. After all, it is my money that I am using and I am not buying this as an investment but as an instrument for my personal enjoyment.

For me there is no need to maximize my investment in guitars as to have the best quality per dollar.

This is my journey of enjoying playing a guitar. I fail to see why people have to bash once choices if it makes that person happy?

In addition, I don't think it is a bad thing even if I grow out of this guitar and buy another guitar as I buy something that pleases me and something I find worth my money.

Sure, you maybe think another guitar is of better value, or another guitar is a better starter guitar. That is fair enough, but why the need to bash someone's journey that they personally find enjoyable and suitable for themselves?

I know that if I would buy a very cheap guitar that I would find myself buying a new guitar much quicker than if I bought this Gibsdon Faded guitar.

Damn straight! That SG Special is the business! I own two Gibsons and I love one of them (the non-chambered LP standard is nice, but not my cup of tea...)

May 4, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #243 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electric, acoustic, classical..?

What music style do you want to play?

An electric one, and im looking to play some slightly rock based pieces that i composed.

May 4, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #245 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What artist or band do you want to model your tone after particularly?

What's your price range?

Well hard to say but maybe radiohead and explosions in the sky. But it would be best to have a all around guitar. My price range is not confirmed but under 250 CAD would be nice for a beginner, preferably less.

May 4, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #246 of 833
I'm not sure about Explosions In The Sky, but Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead uses Fender Telecasters normally (although he does have Lace Sensors in them).

If I were you, I'd look into getting a used MIM Fender Telecaster or Stratocaster. A Telecaster can get a nice sweet "twangy" tone that only it can get, but a Stratocaster is probably the most versatile guitar and it can get you very close to a Tele sound.

May 4, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #248 of 833
No problem, be sure to post pics of what you got on here!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #249 of 833
So your personal enjoyment begins by starting to play guitar on a branded guitar which you don't know you're gonna like or not after you get better. Why the need to bash? Because you just began playing the guitar, hence you don't know what's good or not for you yet. You believe that it's a Gibson. Therefore it's decent. And here I am in a position, more experienced than you, saying that you made a wrong step to start off your experience.. Therefore I bash not just you, your guitar as well. LOL. There's nothing wrong with what you think makes you happy, but there's nothing wrong with me telling that it's wrong to get something "good" just because of the brand to start something. Buy another guitar if you bought a cheaper guitar? Even better! More guitars! Heck, you could even spend the money to change the pickups, electronics, tuners, bridge and etc to make your guitar outperform more popular-branded guitars!

It's similar to this forum. You buy, let's say a K701 for instance when you just began your audiophile journey. You don't have a clue on what other headphones sound until you go to a meet. At that point in time, you'd learn about the varieties and there's a possibility of regretting your "investment" in the K701. Indeed you could sell off your K701 and buy the headphone of your liking next or you could upgrade yourself and get the K1000. How long will it take to reach that new goal? Since you've basically wasted your time on something midrange? If you're loaded then by all means, it'll be easier, if that's what you're implying, you have the money to change your mind as and when. Hell you could even not like the hobby at all and just discard it.

Now back to topic. Ah yes. Gibson SG Special. The low-end of the Gibson family. A budget Gibson which is as good as let's see.. 3-pickup, SG shape, ah yes, an Epiphone G400 Custom. Price difference: AUD$1~1.4k in terms of street. Quality. On par. Sorry, you've just wasted AUD$1k at least, sad to say, just on the brand name.

Why the urge to bash? Experience. That is all. Buying Bose, being pleased with it, being bashed because of it, listening to better products, regret buying Bose. Similar cycle, which could've been skipped if you didn't make the "I want a well-known brand product" choice. How you enjoy the sound is indeed individual taste, but the quality of the product producing the sound is comparable to something else with a lower price range. So to Bose owners, "HAHA, you just wasted your money on something that costs $300 but has similar quality to something in the $100", saying that is similar to me telling you as a Gibson SG SPECIAL owner, "HAHA, you just wasted your money on something which costs more than double than something with similar or better quality." Emphasis on the SPECIAL in the Gibson SG SPECIAL. Cheers.

You should learn to know what is good and what is bad first, price isn't relative to quality, and being branded doesn't mean its quality is tip top. Now, come back again after a couple of years, tell us again if your SG Special is still stock, or broken, or not even with you at all, or just kept as a memento of being your very first guitar. Then we'd share the laughs. But for now, I'll laugh at the guy who bought a Gibson because it's a Gibson.

tjkurita,
If you think the SG Special means business, I don't know what to think of your two other Gibsons. *facepalm*

intoflatlines,
Indeed. Screw the brand and the models. But of course, learn to know how to differentiate quality first, that's what I have to add to what you said.

NeonPirateKing,
Like what intoflatlines said, Telecaster or Stratocaster would do you good. But I'd say a Tele is more versatile than a Strat.
tongue.gif

May 4, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #250 of 833
Lots of nice talk in this thread. Myself, I started playing many years ago, back when I was a teenager. Quit playing and sold all equipment. Eight years ago (at age 28) I picked up the hobby again. Now I've got seven guitars, all good, but plays almost nothing due to the work load at the office.

For this reason I just put the following Gibson "G0" up for sale:

blek.jpg

But as I saw the guitar in the hands of the potential buyer, I got sellers remorse: it's beautiful and sounds wonderful - should I really sell it? Don't need the cash, but also don't play enough....

May 5, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #253 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tjkurita,
If you think the SG Special means business, I don't know what to think of your two other Gibsons. *facepalm*

Isn't dismissing something because it is called a "Special" the same as loving something because it is called a "Gibson?"

May 5, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #254 of 833
Heh, well my cousin, is giving me the first guitar he bought. It's a "Quest" brand guitar. Don't know much about it and I can't find any info on the brand. Well, atleast i won't have to spend any money, until i'm good enough to upgrade the guitar. If you have any info on the "Quest" brand, that would be helpful. Thanks!

May 5, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #255 of 833
blackcoffee sell it to me =)
beerchug.gif
wink.gif

beerchug.gif
I love my guitar Love the feel, love the sound=)
floatsmile.png
Good 1k aud =) I tried different brands and loved this one =)

Anyways, to important talk =) what music do you guys play mostly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back