Guitar-fi anyone?
Apr 15, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #211 of 833
Check this out: Take the Listening Test

It tests if you can pick out the recording of the real amp from the modeling programs.

I got all of them right except for AC30#1 and Marshall#2. For the AC30#1 I chose the ReValver MK III and for Marshall#2 I chose Amp Farm 3.0.

I'm actually kind of surprised that I got 4/6 correct since many of them sounded very similar and it's not like I use those amps ever, I just chose whichever sample sounded most "tube-y".

Anyway, it was a fun way to spend some time.

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #213 of 833
Not really sure if this is worthy of this thread, but I picked up a Squier strat for $100 the other day. It's my beater guitar that I can experiment with mods on and use for alternate tunings. The pickups are terrible and so are the tuners, but after I set it up at least it plays decent.

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #215 of 833
Yeah, I take back questioning whether it belongs in this thread or not.. As long as it's got to do with a guitar and I enjoy it, why not?

The more I play it the more I like it (not nearly as much as my other electric though). I really can't stand the tuning and pickup problems though. In the near future I think I will upgrade the tuners and swap my MIM neck and middle pickups w/ Hot Rails bridge to the Squier to make room for the Hot Noiseless I will be getting for my MIM Strat. Sure, MIM stock pickups aren't all that great but they sound much better than the stock Squier ones!

Apr 20, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #216 of 833
I am actually moved to Head-fi by guitars and a guitar buddy recommending headphones, and here I am. Well I had posted pictures, but they would not show. It was just some a 65 bassman and matching cab, and My Les Paul and a couple other random guitar toys, and some concert pics that I could find from when I gigged like 2x a week.

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #217 of 833
just discovered the gear-fi forum....thought i would share some pics of my collection of studio tools.

3480802937_c9689a9a22_b.jpg

from L-R
80's Gibson J-45/50
78 Gibson SG standard
50's(?) Danelectro amp. 12 in alnico. uses el84.
68 Gibson Les Paul custom. EMG pickups (still looking for some vintage humbuckers)
05 Gibson SG special.
70-71ish Orange OR120 graphic head. Mullard EL34s, Telefunken 12AX7s.
Beat up Orange cab. took out the greenbacks and put in G12H.
60's Galanti "continental" Italian made surf guitar.
65 Fender P-bass.

Apr 28, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #220 of 833
fanboy indeed. ZephyrSapphire I share your disdain for the quality of the newer gibsons. That SG special is a decent guitar but not up to par with the 61 reissue. I needed a backup and couldnt afford the 61 RI. It is currently for sale on CL. The 78 was my first real electric guitar and has been hard to beat.

Apr 28, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #223 of 833
Skud, the cab is beat up pretty bad but the head is actually quite clean. some of the tolex is peeled but the faceplate is almost perfect. bouncing arround in the back of a van for years.
you can download the whole catalog plus some videos here.
the music isnt quite "hi-fi" hehe. enjoy!

here and here is some of the more recent music me and the boys(and gal) are makin'

more stuff at thesoundofbreasts.com

Apr 28, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #224 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbuzzard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skud, the cab is beat up pretty bad but the head is actually quite clean. some of the tolex is peeled but the faceplate is almost perfect. bouncing arround in the back of a van for years.
you can download the whole catalog plus some videos here.
the music isnt quite "hi-fi" hehe. enjoy!

here and here is some of the more recent music me and the boys(and gal) are makin'

more stuff at thesoundofbreasts.com

Listening now, this is some good stuff. Props!

Apr 28, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #225 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbuzzard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fanboy indeed. ZephyrSapphire I share your disdain for the quality of the newer gibsons. That SG special is a decent guitar but not up to par with the 61 reissue. I needed a backup and couldnt afford the 61 RI. It is currently for sale on CL. The 78 was my first real electric guitar and has been hard to beat.

Indeed. The quality of most of the newer Gibson guitars disgusted me. The new 09 LP is an exceptionally bad one as it loses it's LP sound due to it being chambered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back