Guitar-fi anyone?
Jan 29, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #151 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarman19853 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The laminate sides & back scare me.

Look into Washburn. They are WAY underrated in the acoustic guitar market. Excellent sounding guitars from them.

Thanks for your input. What scares you about the laminate?

I will look into washburn as well.

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #152 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your input. What scares you about the laminate?

I will look into washburn as well.

Basically that nice flame maple back is just a paper thin slice of wood glued on top of lesser grade wood for the back. Now, this is arguable, but on an electric it doesnt matter as much but on an acoustic when the sound comes from the resonance of the wood... I wouldn't want it. They would be better off just leaving the lesser grade wood underneath without the pretty top because that layer of glue (though thin) can't be good for the sound.

I do like seagull guitars, but their lower line leaves something to be desired.

I have a Washburn D-34 SCE. I don't know if they still make it anymore...

Washburn has this neat feature called the Buzz Feiten system... Don't know how it works, but for some reason all Washburn acoustics that I tried with it sound much sweeter than the competition.

And one other thing I learned after buying my first acoustic, unless you're really playing lead acoustic guitar, you don't need a cutaway. The sound of the guitar will be much bigger if you get a non-cutaway model.

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #154 of 833
Well I visited the store today(sam ash, guitar center, and a local used guitar shop). I think I'm gonna go with the seagull. I really like how it feels, looks, and plays. I also played a Martin that sounded just amazing. I like it better, but it was an extra $150 bucks. I'd really hate to sink that much into a guitar at this point.

One question though. I'm looking at acoustic electrics, but should I just look at acoustics and buy a pickup later? I wont be amping for a few months(until I get back to where I was) but I figured that it would be good to just go ahead with the acoustic electric.

Jan 31, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #155 of 833
well if you can find a nice acoustic with a decent pickup, why not just go ahead and get one?

most of the time i don't amp my hummingbird, but the pickup comes in real handy when i play out or when i'm recording.

if not, you could get an acoustic that you really like and then grab a nice pickup after - LR Baggs make some really good pickups, and so do B-Band.

Jan 31, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #156 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by kangcore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well if you can find a nice acoustic with a decent pickup, why not just go ahead and get one?

most of the time i don't amp my hummingbird, but the pickup comes in real handy when i play out or when i'm recording.

if not, you could get an acoustic that you really like and then grab a nice pickup after - LR Baggs make some really good pickups, and so do B-Band.

Yea, I've read about them and the LR Baggs seem to be of top quality. I guess my only thought was that the pickups I've seen seem to "get in the way". Is this not the case at all?

Jan 31, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #157 of 833
Absolutely not. If you see the picture of my hummingbird in the previous page, you'll notice that it doesn't have any pickups visible. LR Baggs make an under-saddle transducer that goes... well, under the saddle. its practically invisible. However installing it does take some skill and if you aren't confident, you ought to get a qualified tech to install it for you.

There are also combination pickups - USTs and soundhole mic combos. B-Band and LR Baggs make those.

The thing about B-Band is that they apparently make a more natural-sounding pickup, as their pickups don't use piezo crystals, which lead to that harsh brittle plugged-in sound that people don't like.

Just remembered, schertler make some good pickups as well. On par with B-Band and LR Baggs.

However if you want a straight drop-in option, LR Baggs do have the M1 soundhole pickup - i suppose that one does "get in the way" somewhat, but i've had it installed in a previous acoustic and it never got in the way of my playing at all, and it always sounded brilliant. really regret letting that one go... one day i'll buy it back... one day...

Jan 31, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #158 of 833
I just picked up the Martin DCX1E. It was easily the best sounding guitar for under $700 at any of the shops I went to. I researched it last night, and it seems that a lot of experienced guitarist who have not played don't like it simply because the sides and back are not all wood. But it seems that everyone who has played them or owns them loves them.

The sound really is too die for, so I wasn't worried too much about spending the extra cash on it. I also got a Seagull Tric Case(awesome case), boss tuner/metronome, humidifier, and guitar stand. I am done for now.

Did you all have any luck teaching your self guitar or were you instructed? I have a few books here, but I am thinking that I may enroll in classes in about a month. Thoughts?

Jan 31, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #159 of 833
Surprised no recommendations for the Larrivee L-03 Guitar. I happen to own one of their Parlor models and the sound is just sweet, detailed, and very clear. The L-03 being a full size guitar has a total different balance but just beautiful sounding guitar. If you do a search you may find one in the $750 range.

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #160 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surprised no recommendations for the Larrivee L-03 Guitar. I happen to own one of their Parlor models and the sound is just sweet, detailed, and very clear. The L-03 being a full size guitar has a total different balance but just beautiful sounding guitar. If you do a search you may find one in the $750 range.

Yea, I read about this one one a few other forums. I couldn't find one anywhere local though. Sounds like a great guitar.

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #161 of 833
I have an Epiphone Masterbilt and I highly recommend it for anyone looking for an affordable all-wood guitar. I walked into the store intending to buy a Taylor DN3, tested a whole wall of acoustics anyways and was stunned by the $600 Masterbilt. Definitely on par with any sub-$1200 Martin or Taylor at half the price. I took it home, slapped some Elixir's on it and fell in love.

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #162 of 833
yup, the masterbilts are pretty good stuff. had a few chances to use one, and they definitely sound good and are pretty well built. think some people just can't get over the MIK tag. i thought the masterbilts sounded a bit too polite for my taste, though the are certainly very well built and good sounding in their own right.

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #163 of 833
anyone play/own the AC15 or/and the AC30?
How are the tone between the two??

I was originally going for the AC30 CC2, but it seems it way too powerful for my own personal use, and too heavy to carry around, but I don't want to lose that signature sound of the AC30 if the AC15 is too different. What are the differences? is it still a Class A tube amp?

I know i probably should go and try the AC15 out, but asking for opinions for now.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #164 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by kangcore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yup, the masterbilts are pretty good stuff. had a few chances to use one, and they definitely sound good and are pretty well built. think some people just can't get over the MIK tag. i thought the masterbilts sounded a bit too polite for my taste, though the are certainly very well built and good sounding in their own right.

Made in Korea? That explains a lot to me... Because I believe my Masterbilt says made in China, and when I bought it the prices were quite a lot higher and the model codes were different... I must have a very early model.

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #165 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by irjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone play/own the AC15 or/and the AC30?
How are the tone between the two??

I was originally going for the AC30 CC2, but it seems it way too powerful for my own personal use, and too heavy to carry around, but I don't want to lose that signature sound of the AC30 if the AC15 is too different. What are the differences? is it still a Class A tube amp?

I know i probably should go and try the AC15 out, but asking for opinions for now.

the rage right now is this one:

Vox Night Train | Sweetwater.com

Because of the collaboration with Tony Bruno, who is a boutique amp builder specializing in Vox voiced amps. Small, price is right, and EL84 power tubes with 12AX7 preamps, so it's going to have a nice dry grind to it, probably more like a Thomas Organ era Vox sound rather than a JMI british, but still a great tube layout - of course, nothing beats trying it out to make certain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back