Guitar-fi anyone?
Dec 12, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #61 of 833
Sorry folks but this is just too much. Unless you were at a gig/jam and watching the guitarist play you wouldn't have a clue as to what guitar he/she was playing. Clean tones, overdrive, effects etc are produced by the amp, amp settings and whatever effect peddles are plugged in.
If you're trying to learn the guitar buy a steel string acoustic and start from the beginning (chords, simple scales, strum patterns). Build some finger strength up and some co-ordination and go from there. I can't play for toffee and i'm sure with a custom Gibson or PRS in my hands it will still sound like i'm castrating a cat with a pair of needle nose pliers, then i have friends who can make a $40 electro acoustic sound as if Angus Young or George Benson is playing the thing.

As looks go, i have always wanted a tele (only because i saw Johnny Marr play one once)

And learn electric on an electric= twaddle.Get the finger strength from playing acoustic and you will be all over the electric, they are far more forgiving on the fingers than acoustics.

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #62 of 833
I looove me some Johnny Marr. half my vids are covers from him. No matter what you learn on, just make sure it doesn't fight you - have it set up right and it'll be a joy to play and learn on.

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #64 of 833
Acoustics and electrics are very different. Sure lots of people can play both well but just because you're good at one won't make you good on the other. My dad is amazing on acoustic but his electric skills are weak. Learn on what you want to play (electric vs acoustic-wise).

If your budget is that low then just go for whichever used guitar you find has the best setup. When you're starting I don't think it will make a huge difference in LP vs Strat vs SG vs Tele, etc.

Now I'm going to play my Strat.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #65 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry folks but this is just too much. Unless you were at a gig/jam and watching the guitarist play you wouldn't have a clue as to what guitar he/she was playing. Clean tones, overdrive, effects etc are produced by the amp, amp settings and whatever effect peddles are plugged in.
If you're trying to learn the guitar buy a steel string acoustic and start from the beginning (chords, simple scales, strum patterns). Build some finger strength up and some co-ordination and go from there. I can't play for toffee and i'm sure with a custom Gibson or PRS in my hands it will still sound like i'm castrating a cat with a pair of needle nose pliers, then i have friends who can make a $40 electro acoustic sound as if Angus Young or George Benson is playing the thing.

As looks go, i have always wanted a tele (only because i saw Johnny Marr play one once)

And learn electric on an electric= twaddle.Get the finger strength from playing acoustic and you will be all over the electric, they are far more forgiving on the fingers than acoustics.

The core of the sound and tone you get comes from what guitar you're using. If you can't tell the difference between the sound of a Strat and Les Paul or a Tele and PRS then you must've never paid attention or tried to. The difference in sound between these guitars is vast, and any amount of processing cannot make one of these sound just like the other. We're not talking about trying to decipher the difference between a 320kbps mp3 and a 240kbps mp3 here - the difference in sound is painfully obvious between a Strat-style guitar and a LP-style guitar.

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #66 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The core of the sound and tone you get comes from what guitar you're using. If you can't tell the difference between the sound of a Strat and Les Paul or a Tele and PRS then you must've never paid attention or tried to. The difference in sound between these guitars is vast, and any amount of processing cannot make one of these sound just like the other. We're not talking about trying to decipher the difference between a 320kbps mp3 and a 240kbps mp3 here - the difference in sound is painfully obvious between a Strat-style guitar and a LP-style guitar.

Core sound through the clean channel on an amp, yes they will be different, but only because of the pick ups, humbuckers or single coils, and the positioning of the pick ups. Add in overdrive and change the settings on the amp and guitar and the tone and timbre of the instrument changes totally.
I'm a huge fan of the single coil set up, strat's and tele's and especially the lp junior (another dream guitar of mine), but then again who doesn't love the crunch of a humbucker set up- eg. les paul and fat strat.

The combination's are endless, but if you just love loud rock (blues included) and funk, crank up the knobs to 11, turn on the overdrive, get the wah wah peddle plumbed in and start shredding.

I still say that to learn on go steel strung acoustic, get the basics down pat before learning the electric guitar tricks.

Dec 12, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #67 of 833
A prime example (for me) of the difference between a Les Paul and a Stratocaster with overdrive/distortion is on Pink Floyd's The Wall. Listen to the solo in Another Brick In The Wall Part II and compare that to the solos in Comfortably Numb. Sure the amps/effects are different, but the different overall tone of the guitars is obvious.

Dec 12, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #68 of 833
Thanks Intoflatlines
biggrin.gif

Will get a cheapie I think, nothing has come up on freecycle, and If one does in the next month I will grab it, if not, buy a cheapie, and if one does come up randomly, snap it up, it will probably be better than mine!

Dont know whether to get a cheap 10w amp. Would I be able to skimp and use the UCA202 In and out and use my speakers? Could also play with some software and recording that way
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #69 of 833
I'm still looking for an amp, but I just bought my first nice electric guitar -- a Gibson 1961 SG Reissue. From the serial number, if I'm reading it right, I gather it was made in 2006. Sounded beautiful out of the Bogner in the store and my friend's Orange Drop.

I'm thinking I might get a Fender Twin Reverb for that great, powerful clean sound but it's a bit heavy, so I'm not sure yet.

Oh, and suggestions are certainly welcome for anyone who wants to play that game.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm looking to spend under 1500 euros (for amp purposes, $1 in the States is 1euro in Germany) for a nice tube amp that's luggable for gigs, etc. And I'm not sure I actually need an 85w monster with 2 12"s like the Fender TR. Also, I'm looking for a small 300euro or so amp to have at home for practicing but still sounding nice.

Dec 13, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #70 of 833
IMO, of the small units nothing beats an old (original black face or tweed) Fender Champ w/ the Ampeg Reverocket being a close second.

The Fender Champ has gotten expensive so you may have to look for a while to get one at a good price and in good shape.

Dec 13, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #71 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still looking for an amp, but I just bought my first nice electric guitar -- a Gibson 1961 SG Reissue. From the serial number, if I'm reading it right, I gather it was made in 2006. Sounded beautiful out of the Bogner in the store and my friend's Orange Drop.

I'm thinking I might get a Fender Twin Reverb for that great, powerful clean sound but it's a bit heavy, so I'm not sure yet.

Oh, and suggestions are certainly welcome for anyone who wants to play that game.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm looking to spend under 1500 euros (for amp purposes, $1 in the States is 1euro in Germany) for a nice tube amp that's luggable for gigs, etc. And I'm not sure I actually need an 85w monster with 2 12"s like the Fender TR. Also, I'm looking for a small 300euro or so amp to have at home for practicing but still sounding nice.

I would definitely NOT go for a honkin' back breakin' twin reverb off the bat. Awesome cleans, but it's a BEAST.

Luggable brand new tube amp would be the Princeton Reverb Reissue (NOT the "Princeton Recording Amp"). If you can find vintage, a Vibro Champ (NOT the Vibro Champ XD or Super Champ XD) would probably run you around the same price overseas (in the USA you can still grab a blackface Vibro Champ for under $750, and a Silverface for $350, which has the same guts as a blackface, no joke). But the Vibrochamp has no reverb, so stick with the Princeton Reverb - the PR has a 10 inch speaker too, not a 8 inch like the VC.

A bit heavier and pricier is the Deluxe Reverb reissue. Used, they sell for $650 here in the USA. This is about as big as you'll want to get if you have to have portability. It has one 12" speaker, sounds big and clean big bass and breaks up growly and mean - but yes it may still be a bit too much amp. YMMV!

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #72 of 833
Thanks guys, I actually went shopping yesterday because I really really wanted to have some kind of amp for my guitar... so I got a Peavey Bandit 112. 100W for a 12" speaker... a little silly. Doesn't sound amazing, but it was 300 euros new, so I wasn't expecting much. Got to the store five minutes before it closed, and because this is Germany, everything was closed today. So I only got to try that one amp and I bought it. Problem is, I have to keep the volume almost all the way down even on the low gain input.

I'll go back and I'll try out the ones you've mentioned, Jahn, since I'm just looking for an amp I could use for gigging... if that ever happens, of course. Definitely saw the Deluxe Reverb there, don't know about the Princeton. Obviously, I didn't have a lot of time. But thanks again!

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #73 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Intoflatlines
biggrin.gif

Will get a cheapie I think, nothing has come up on freecycle, and If one does in the next month I will grab it, iff nto buy a cheapie, and if one does come up randomly, snap it up, it will probably be better than mine!

Dont know whether to get a cheap 10w amp. Would I be able to skimp and use the UCA202 In and out and use my speakers? Could also play with some software and recording that way
biggrin.gif

Definitely don't go the UCA202 route. If you really want to use your speakers, get a basic modeling pedal. Then you'll have all kinds of effects and models to choose from and you can plug that into an aux in and get some alright sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys, I actually went shopping yesterday because I really really wanted to have some kind of amp for my guitar... so I got a Peavey Bandit 112. 100W for a 12" speaker... a little silly. Doesn't sound amazing, but it was 300 euros new, so I wasn't expecting much. Got to the store five minutes before it closed, and because this is Germany, everything was closed today. So I only got to try that one amp and I bought it. Problem is, I have to keep the volume almost all the way down even on the low gain input.

I'll go back and I'll try out the ones you've mentioned, Jahn, since I'm just looking for an amp I could use for gigging... if that ever happens, of course. Definitely saw the Deluxe Reverb there, don't know about the Princeton. Obviously, I didn't have a lot of time. But thanks again!

My brother has a Peavy Bandit 112 and it's alright. He pretty much uses his Boss modeling board for tone though.

Dec 19, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #75 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I play this bullcrap.

Bullcrap, eh?
confused.gif
haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back