Guitar-fi anyone?
Dec 8, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #31 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you like the 1777 LX? I'm loving my 1771 LX very much.

I love my 1777 LX. I keep meaning to take some pictures to show it off. Friend of mine had a Takamine, and while the Takamine probably sounded better, I find that the Ovation is much easier (read comfortable) to play. Overall though, I love the way it sounds
smily_headphones1.gif

I was going to pick up an Ovation mandolin as well... but I tend to play my guitar mostly in the winter, and not much the rest of the year. So I'd barely have any time to learn to play it
frown.gif

Dec 8, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #32 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also any online (free) video guides you recommend for a novice who has returned as a worse novice
tongue.gif
?

Electric or Acoustic, I plan to get an electric sometime next year, and want to get better on my old acoustic for now anyway.

I suggest you try this site. It's got a lot of stuff for beginners and is one of the best ones out there in my opinion.

Edit:

Quote:

and you shake the guitar near the amp at the end (very cool!), but why at the amp?

He did that for feedback from the amp. It's creating a high pitched noise.

Dec 9, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #33 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlpaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my 1777 LX. I keep meaning to take some pictures to show it off. Friend of mine had a Takamine, and while the Takamine probably sounded better, I find that the Ovation is much easier (read comfortable) to play. Overall though, I love the way it sounds
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree, the Ovation is amazingly easy to play. My dad's Martin definitely sounds better but the Ovation is so light and the neck/fretboard is so quick. I'm glad I got my LX when it was being discontinued because I got it for like 50% off what it was a couple years ago.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've played my dad's Taylor 12-string and it really makes me want one, but I don't think it would be good for me since I can't think of much I would want to play on one (12-string) other than the 12-string part on "Wish You Were Here"..
icon10.gif

I took my Fender acoustic out yesterday (my back up/alt tuning acoustic) and found some bad news. The saddle is skewed towards the sound hole and there are small cracks in the bridge where the saddle rests. I got it only two years ago so hopefully repairs are covered..
frown.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #34 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took my Fender acoustic out yesterday (my back up/alt tuning acoustic) and found some bad news. The saddle is skewed towards the sound hole and there are small cracks in the bridge where the saddle rests. I got it only two years ago so hopefully repairs are covered..
frown.gif

Ouch, that sucks. I've seen that happen on classical guitars when people put steel strings on them.

As for 12 string songs - Eagles! Hotel California sounds great on a 12 string
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #35 of 833
I've got an Ovation Celebrity Deluxe acoustic-electric that I've been meaning to sell because I never use it and want a Taylor in a bad way. My electric is an emerald green PRS Santana SE I bought when they stopped making them for a closeout price of $400, and is the nicest playing guitar I've ever played that was under $1000. My buddy has the same guitar in red and it doesn't play nearly as nice. Guitars are like snowflakes, I say. I also still have my first guitar - a late 80s wine red Les Paul Studio with gold hardware. My next guitar is going to be a PRS Archtop - hopefully an older model.

For amps I use a 10 watt Kustom practice amp and an early 80s 50 watt Marshall JCM800 Super Lead through a 4x12" Celestion Trace Elliott cab. I have a late 80's Fender Power Chorus that my friend burned up by plugging one of his pedals in backwards, but I keep it for parts. I've also been thinking about selling the Marshall as I rarely use it and would like an amp I can crank without making my ears bleed. I'm thinking vintage and 25 watts or less. Maybe even a Pignose..

My effects include a multitude of old boss pedals for modulation, a tech 21xxl distortion, an original tubescreamer, a turbo tubescreamer, Peavy Dirty Dog, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Digitech Main Squeeze compressor/sustainer, Boss Metal Zone Distortion (sucks), DOD Grunge Pedal (has limited use when combined with other effects), Digitech DD-5 Delay/Sampler, and probably a few others I'm not remembering. Sadly, I've only been using my Digitech GNX4 through my practice amp lately and all the rest is going to waste except for my tube screamers - I don't use the distortion section of the GNX4 all that much.

I'd take pictures of the stuff, but it's really not that impressive and I'm lazy. PM me if you have a copy of the Supermodels disc for the GNX4 you'd like to sell.

Dec 9, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #40 of 833
Quote:

Would playing without being able to hear the un-amplified strings ring be an issue? Sorry if that is a stupid question!

It's not really an issue in my opinion, but it sounds like plastic most of the times. I can't really recommend it, but it's doable and you can learn how to play guitar that way. I would probably recommend getting a cheap amp and not turning it up too far if you have to keep the volume down. Even cheap amps sound better than the line out most of the times.

Quote:

Do you recommend getting a sub £70 guitar with strap, bag (no amp) etc, or save for a cheap Fender package (or other known brand)?

I will recommend what I recommend most people who are getting started. Try to find someone with a guitar laying around. There are a lot of people who've got a guitar somewhere stashed away on their attic. Most of those guitars aren't the greatest thing either, but it'll save you the money.

The thing with really cheap guitars is this: You get what you pay for. Which, in case of really cheap guitars, isn't a lot. They won't sound great, and don't care about things like action.

The question is: Can one learn how to play guitar on one? And the answer to that is: Yes. One can. I did as a matter of fact. I started playing on an old guitar we had lying around and played on it for about 2 years - I was about 11 years old at that time. After that I got a guitar for my birthday which was the greatest thing I've ever had in my entire life. (even though it wasn't the greatest guitar ever) The thing you notice when getting a better guitar is that the crappy one was holding your progress back. (I sure do hope that's a proper English sentence)

So, what I'm trying to say is that when you go for the cheapest guitars, you will probably need another one fairly soon if you decide that you really like playing guitar. That will cost extra money, which no one really wants to spend. Which gets us back at what I mentioned before. Try to lend one if you've got the opportunity.

Because of all of that my advice is: Try lending a guitar from someone and save up for something decent. The only time you will have to replace a decent guitar is if you want a different or better sound - which can be considered luxury.

Quote:

What do you think of it/them?

Honestly?

Quote:

What would you recommend as a first electric?

Stratocasters and telecasters are easier to play. Because of that you can mess up your technique because you don't have to place your fingers correctly. A Les Paul would probably be a better idea. Acoustic might be even better, but if you don't like the sound of them I wouldn't bother personally.

Edit: Excuse me for the grammar. I'm not English as (I'm sure) you've noticed by now.

Dec 9, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #41 of 833
"Stratocasters and telecasters are easier to play. Because of that you can mess up your technique because you don't have to place your fingers correctly. A Les Paul would probably be a better idea."

Why is a Strat/Tele easier to play but a LesP would be better?

I see what you mean. I have posted a wanted ad on my local Yahoo freecycle group as a few have come up on there before, so I posted that I wanted one on Sunday, someone might remember they have one taking up space in their loft/in their way once the kids left. We'll see.

I have an acoustic (1/2 size i think?) which is old and battered, but works. I just always really wanted to play the electric, even when I got an acoustic, my parents told me acc. was easier to learn... I have read alot about it, and apparently there isnt a huge difference.

Anyway, my birthday is the 22nd of Jan, and my Mum gives me about £25-£30 and my mums boyfriend gives about £50, so that would be enough to buy a cheap starter kit (with amp) if nothing comes up on freecycle for free, and I will be able to save all the money I get from relatives (saving for a car, a year to go!) but I will probably spend it on a nice guitar once I have a job early 2009 to get the money back into my savings, it is the only thing I want
biggrin.gif

Your grammar is good by the way, I didnt notice any errors
biggrin.gif

Matt

Dec 9, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #42 of 833
Quote:

Why is a Strat/Tele easier to play but a LesP would be better?

Your technique won't have to be perfect on a stratocaster in order to play your first tunes because it's so easy to play. On a Les Paul you will have to push harder in order for a note/string to sound right. You are forced to use the right technique that way. On an acoustic guitar that's even more so.

This obviously doesn't mean that you can't learn the right thing on a guitar which is easier to play. If you start off by learning the wrong things it'll catch up with you somewhere down the road. It's easier to learn something than to unlearn it.

Quote:

(saving for a car, a year to go!) but I will probably spend it on a nice guitar

That's pretty much what I did a short while ago. Instead of getting a drivers license I got myself a brand new, shiny guitar.

Quote:

Your grammar is good by the way, I didnt notice any errors
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #43 of 833
I see! I prefer the LP mor anyway, fits my style in so many ways much better.

Yeah, I might add some of my bday/xmas money from relatives on a guitar for my birthday, even though I planned to save it, but i do plan to get a job to plan to replace the money, as always
tongue.gif

Seriously, I don't want to spend too much in case I really am just naturally crap with a guitar. Until my Bday I will put some effort in to start learning to play my acoustic again, better than i could before! Well, I will do when I dont have a poxy download limit and can watch tutorial vids without worrying, new internet package next week
biggrin.gif

Matt

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #44 of 833
If you want the LP style maybe check out a lower end Epiphone. They're not the nicest thing to start playing on, though. It's true that Strats and Teles are easy guitars to play because you don't really have to stick with great technique, but keep in mind that if a guitar is hard to play, you might be less inclined to mess around and learn on it. There are lots of people I know that have crappy guitars that hate playing them, so they rarely play which prevents them from learning.

To be honest, I would pick up a cheap Strat/Tele (or copy) because it will be easier to play and will motivate you to play more. Then you can move on up to a LP, which are heavier and less easy to play. What's your budget?

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #45 of 833
Quote:

* Beautiful guitar up there Jahn. Did you sell it then?
* Can you outline the setup for that vid? Cos amp is on, and you have headphones on, and you shake the guitar near the amp at the end (very cool!), but why atthe amp? I'm a noob sorry!

Oh no, just got them, I just meant someone else could probably play them better - self-depreciating talk and all that, heh.

The setup is the guitar to a cable to the amp, that's it! I'd recording the sound with an apogee duet and video with the macbook's vidcam. the mic is behind the macbook's lens, it's a Studio Projects C1 large diaphragm mic i got cheap from craigslist. the mic is running direct into the Duet, into the Garageband program that came with the macbook. I'm not too saavy with the computer so i just use the no-brainer approach! I monitor the levels with the AKG K81DJ headphones direct to the apogee duet's headphone out. if i have more time, i set up near my PC that MrSlacker made me, and record into the desktop's EMU 0404.

The guitar is a semihollow so it won't feed back unless i put it right up against the speakers to create a sonic feedback loop. that's the warbling and pitch changing that you hear at the end there. you can alter the note/vibrato of the feedback by changing the angle/distance of the guitar from the amp's speakers, that's why i shake it and move it around a bit.

That should be it! As for recommendations, if you love Les Pauls and Marshalls, i say hold out and save pennies and buy a used all-tube Marshall first, a JCM800 should be cheap there overseas, get a nice head and hopefully a nice speaker cabinet will come with it too. The Les Paul will be tougher to grab - honestly the best bet is to look in the USA Ebay for a cheap used Faded Les Paul that someone is willing to ship internationally. Should still run under a thousand bucks if you look long enough! for example, this would be perfect, and he ships internationally.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2005-Gibson-Le...3286.m63.l1177

but if a thousand sounds like way too much i'd say at least get one that's made in the UK, like something from Burns, old and used and a few hundred bucks, and have it properly set up by a trusted guitar shop or luthier. the setup is KEY if you want it playing right and not discouraging you from dropping the guitar altogether! then buy a Pignose amp for 40 bucks and grind away until you feel more confident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back