Guitar-fi anyone?
Apr 10, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #706 of 833
Honeyburst.
I guess it is fairly straightforward to add a coil tap, so I would let that sway my decision.
Go first for the playability, then aesthetics... fix up and customise the electrics as you wish.
I see a pickguard on both, whatś your point about that?
And what are the ¨white rings¨ you mention?

Apr 10, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #707 of 833
Is it really simple to add a coil tap? I haven't done a lot of reading on that, but might as well.

With "white rings" I was talking about the white pickup and switcher rings. The pic shows cream pickguard & rings, but there's a local shop selling a traditional with white rings.

Not that it matters so much, but if I'm going to spend this amount of money on a guitar, might as well make sure it is beautiful
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #708 of 833
Simple? ...well I guess that depends on your experience and nerves whether you want to start opening up your beautiful new axe.
Certainly it needs no electronics trickery, just a steady hand for soldering the wires and changing to push-pull switched control knobs.
Plenty of stuff on the web about such work, here´s one to get started:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/adding-coil-taps-to-humbuckers.1049964/
Maybe you could negotiate with the shop to do the work as part of the purchase deal?

Apr 11, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #709 of 833
I have just checked with my shop on adding coil tap to the studio 50s tribute, and weirdly what they actually say is "we probably can, but we would charge you by the hour and there is no guarantee on the end result".

I guess I wouldn't be opening up the guitar at all then..

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #710 of 833
Hmmm... Considering that you are preparing to spend thousands with them, I too am surprised at their attitude. To pay for the necessary parts etc. would of course be normal, but not to haggle about perhaps 2 hours work of their guitar tech. And giving "no guarantee" is in my frank opinion arrogant.
Seems like they don't deserve the sale and that you might find it more satisfactory to look for a better shop. Who knows, maybe you will discover an even nicer axe and better customer service?
Good luck searching!

Apr 12, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #711 of 833
  I have just checked with my shop on adding coil tap to the studio 50s tribute, and weirdly what they actually say is "we probably can, but we would charge you by the hour and there is no guarantee on the end result".

I guess I wouldn't be opening up the guitar at all then..

as long as the pickup has 4 wires 
its a simple thing, a push pull switched pot and very basic wiring
you may need to change the pickup, but its basic wiring
no modification to the guitar itself so at the worst it can be
put back in the original condition if it doesn't work properly
the "no guarantees " thing tells me find another shop
iMho

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-your-guitars-humbuckers-switchable-to-single/

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #712 of 833
Has anyone ever tried Fender PM-1 or PM-3? I am especially interested in the PM-3 and wondering how it might compare to the Taylor 114ce / 214ce or K. Yairi WY-1.

May 6, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #713 of 833
My current music corner in my bedroom (Epiphone Les Paul belongs to a friend of mine). Nothing fancy, though admittedly I might need to change my amp. Currently have my sights on a second-hand Fender Blues Jr or a new Marshall DSL15C. Any thoughts on this?

May 9, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #714 of 833
  My current music corner in my bedroom (Epiphone Les Paul belongs to a friend of mine). Nothing fancy, though admittedly I might need to change my amp. Currently have my sights on a second-hand Fender Blues Jr or a new Marshall DSL15C. Any thoughts on this?

Is that a Frontman 15(R?) ? If it is, don't worry, you can't get any worse
biggrin.gif

I started out on that amp, and hated it with an extraordinary passion.

I'd go for the Fender, on the looks alone.

May 9, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #715 of 833

Is that a Frontman 15(R?) ? If it is, don't worry, you can't get any worse
biggrin.gif

I started out on that amp, and hated it with an extraordinary passion.

I'd go for the Fender, on the looks alone.

Nah it's a Champion 20, and to be honest I think it's not that bad....compared to some other Marshall/Peavey/Roland small amp.

Though I must admit, I'm currently gravitate more towards the Blues Jr. because it looks good 
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #716 of 833
the blues junior is a great amp
if you like an all tube fender sound it cant beat for its size and cost
i owned one for many years, a bit loud for home use
you have to krank it to get the most tone out of the power tubes
hard to beat an old champ too

May 17, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #717 of 833
Hey guys, what do you think of the Boss AC-2 / AC-3 acoustic simulator pedal? I can probably get the AC-2 for $65 USD or AC-3 for $105 USD, if they are worth it. Or should I get the DD-7 before getting inessential pedals like the AC-2/3 ?

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #718 of 833
Hello fellow guitar playing peeps of Head-Fi! New member here with a passion for awesome headphones and guitar gear. I design and mod vacuum tube guitar amps, currently have a modded Jet City JCA22H that sounds absolutely killer!

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #720 of 833
  Any acoustic guitar love around here? My two right now are a Huss & Dalton TD-R Custom with an Adi top and a Martin Jeff Tweedy.

I just got a Taylor 314CE this week. Bought it used at a great price in absolutely mint condition. Still in the honeymoon phase, but it looks good, plays easily, and sounds great. Couldn't ask for much more at its price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back