Guide to wash 701/650 velour pad
Jul 19, 2006 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

rubbersoul

New Head-Fier
My 701 velour is getting yellowish. So do my fren 650's.

Any sucessful step by step guide to wash 701/650 velour pad.

Thanks in advance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 13
having little or no experience in this particular endeavor, but drawing on other of my vast laundering experience
rolleyes.gif

If I was to choose to wash them, I think I would:

-use cold water and 'Woolite" or other delicate/hand-wash detergent
-avoid squeezing, squashing, crumpling, wringing-out, or other dis-figuring maneuvers
-pat dry between towels to absorb excess water
-thoroughly air dry before using

note: replacement pads are available from the manufacturer for a 'nominal fee', IIRC it is about 18.oo each for new K701 pads and slightly less for new HD650 pads.

Jul 19, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
having little or no experience in this particular endeavor, but drawing on other of my vast laundering experience
rolleyes.gif

If I was to choose to wash them, I think I would:

-avoid squeezing, squashing, crumpling, wringing-out, or other dis-figuring maneuvers

note: replacement pads are available from the manufacturer for a 'nominal fee', IIRC it is about 18.oo each for new K701 pads and slightly less for new HD650 pads.

Done this a few times with various pads. I will only add to premix the liquid soap with the water first, in other words do not put the liquid soap directly unto the pad. Also pre-soak the pad in clean water before you apply the soapy water. Otherwise you will be spending a long time removing the excess soap. It usually takes an overnight period to dry. Good luck.

Jul 20, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by volcomjerk
How do you take off the pads safely? I was wondering this the other day so I could wash them in the future if they got dirty.

701 or 650 ?

701, u use your palm gently press against the pad turn slowly anti clock wise. To put it back, do the same but turn clock wise. It should be very easy if you do it correctly, dun force if it do not work, in stead practice few times.

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 13
old thread, but I just tried using shampoo. It works very well, and it's probably the mildest of soaps.

When I blowdry the pads it also returns them to their original firmness. I'm guessing this is because the shampoo I used is volumizing shampoo.

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by cvince /img/forum/go_quote.gif
old thread, but I just tried using shampoo. It works very well, and it's probably the mildest of soaps.

When I blowdry the pads it also returns them to their original firmness. I'm guessing this is because the shampoo I used is volumizing shampoo.

They should put that in a shampoo commercial = P

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 13
I use thermasilk as my volumizing shampoo.

I swear it has opened up the sound of my headphones, because the cups now sit more firmly on my ears.

Now I wonder what something more expensive like redken volume up shampoo will do to my pads. I Might even step it up a notch, and get some of that expensive Hempz volumizing shampoo just to see what that does to the sound.

Time to do some Shampoo rolling.
Will return to this thread to comment.

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have some friends who are fiber enthusiasts (spinning, weaving, etc) - they assure me that Woolite IS NOT DELICATE. I'd have to ask them what is, though - I don't recall. Just that they scoff at the concept of using woolite on any raw fiber they care about.

My recommendation:

if they've gotten particularly gross, spray lightly with a laundry stain pre-treater like spray-n-wash.

Most department stores sell zippered mesh bags for laundering delicates. Buy one. If anyone looks at you funny tell 'em your roommate plays Dr. Franknfurter at Rocky Horror and you're looking for a way to convince him to wash his stinky fishnets more often.

Put the earpads in 'em, throw 'em in the wash with a load of towels. Which is to say, warm water wash & rinse, and fabric softener.

Cold water won't do it. Some of the waxy components of your skin oils need to be warm before they can be pulled from the fibers.

I've done this half a dozen times or more with DT770 pads, and at least twice with K401 pads (which are quite similar to K501, 601, and 701 pads).

I'd agree with air drying them unless they are all-fabric. Plastic or vinyl parts might be damaged in a heated dryer.

On the other hand, my DT770 pads have been through a heated dryer three or four times on low heat w/o issues.

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, that's actually $40.35 for Senn's
frown.gif

http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail...ct_prod=050635

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #12 of 13
I washed and dyed my pads dark brown to match the head band in March or April of 2006. This is a bad picture, but in person they match the head band. I used clothes dye.
cool.gif

Happy listening and modding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back