Guide to using Raspberry Pis for Audiophile Projects

What Audio project would you like use the Raspberry Pi for? Options are not mutually exclusive

• DAP with USB output

Votes: 33 38.4%
  • DAP/DAC with RCA analog out

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Battery Powered DAP/DAC with Headphone amp

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • DAP with RCA SPDIF out

Votes: 37 43.0%
  • DAP/DAC with Headphone amp

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • DAP/DAC with XLR analog out

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • DAP/DAC with Speaker Amp

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Total voters
Aug 10, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #31 of 90
For those of you who may be a little apprehensive about all the ssh and terminal commands in the above (you WILL need a screen and keyboard connected to your Pi), then DietPi (https://dietpi.com/) copes with setupo and install of sound board HAT and Moode by slecting the options form a simple menu.

I use dietpi with IQaudio and HiFi boards and redid all of my Roon endpoints (lesson - don't forget your root password :) ) this week.

Cheers
So friends ive run into a bit of a snag with the install. When the pi restarted after step 6 above the RPi 3B+ totally lost the ability to use wifi for some reason and did not properly run the mosbuilder process. This did not happen with the 3b (no +) I made two weeks ago. Now moOde strongly recommends using ethernet for this step, so guess what, I plugged it into my router (RT-AC88U) and rebooted and things are installing great now.

Aug 10, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #32 of 90
Ok that worked. The install is complete. Tomorrow I'll do some MoOde configuration and Sunday I should have a couple of parts I need to finish with. I'm waiting on a new USB micro SD card reader, I had a cheap one and I think it is Kaput. Once I have that I can update the MoOde to the latest updates with the second micro SD card. Also I'm waiting on the back cover to drill out and cover the HAT.

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #33 of 90
So friends ive run into a bit of a snag with the install. When the pi restarted after step 6 above the RPi 3B+ totally lost the ability to use wifi for some reason and did not properly run the mosbuilder process. This did not happen with the 3b (no +) I made two weeks ago. Now moOde strongly recommends using ethernet for this step, so guess what, I plugged it into my router (RT-AC88U) and rebooted and things are installing great now.

The internal wireless is noted for being "weak". I ALWAYS add a dongle for music (and most other applications).

Cheers

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #34 of 90
The internal wireless is noted for being "weak". I ALWAYS add a dongle for music (and most other applications).

Cheers

I have one of those dongles, but I think in this case it was a problem with ifconfig type settings or launching the wifi drivers. At least the case I’m using is plastic. Ive seen metal rpi cases like the one for the hifiberry dac + pro xlr and that makes me wonder how they expect the Wifi to work.

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #35 of 90
Using ethernet did install significantly faster. Of course some of that should have been the difference between 3b and 3b+

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #36 of 90
I have one of those dongles, but I think in this case it was a problem with ifconfig type settings or launching the wifi drivers. At least the case I’m using is plastic. Ive seen metal rpi cases like the one for the hifiberry dac + pro xlr and that makes me wonder how they expect the Wifi to work.

Yup! I just "upgraded" the big stereo to the HifI Pro XLR - which REQUIRES the metal case - and it works well. NB ifconfig is deprecated on some implementations - was that a 'stretch' change?

Incidentally, I couldn't hear a difference switching between the IQAudio HAT based Pi and the HFB XLR Pro into the Freya.

Cheers

Aug 13, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #37 of 90
Please do not throw sausage pizza away = Physical, Datalink, Network, Transport, Session, Presentation, Application. And that my friends is how the internet works :p Ok just a small part of how it works.

Nice! I've never heard that one before, now'll I'll never forget it [unless I order a different pizza!].

Aug 13, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #38 of 90
5. SSHing into your pi:

What we are doing here is connecting to your pi via a network connection to give it the commands to install MoOde. I use the built in mac SSH tool in terminal.

For Windows, "putty" is a simple, lightweight ssh client that does everything:

https://www.putty.org/

And for Linux, ssh is likely installed by default, but if you need to install it, it looks like the Debian package is openssh-client , so something like this command should work:

sudo apt-get install openssh-client

Aug 13, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #39 of 90
For Windows, "putty" is a simple, lightweight ssh client that does everything:

https://www.putty.org/

And for Linux, ssh is likely installed by default, but if you need to install it, it looks like the Debian package is openssh-client , so something like this command should work:

sudo apt-get install openssh-client

Yeah, my initial though when I had to SSH into the RPis for this was to use Putty, but like Linux it's already built into Apple's OSX terminal. I've used putty extensively and it was my introduction to SSH. Highly recommend it if you are operating on Windows.

Aug 13, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #41 of 90
...I've used putty extensively and it was my introduction to SSH. Highly recommend it if you are operating on Windows.
Using PuTTY on Windows?
Haven't you heard of silicone caulk?
:)

Not just trolling, I'm waiting for your streamer setup to be finalised before I start on my Pi, S/Pdif hat, MoOde system.
Are there options for the touch display, I was thinking of a 3.5" one?
Final thing, if my TV, AVR, PVR, Blu-ray player all stream is there any major advantage in having a Pi streamer in the same location other than supplying a completely separate system?

Thanks

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #42 of 90
Great thread! I ran into the idea of Raspberry Pi for an audio streamer a little over a year ago when watching Hans Beekhuyzen's YouTube channel. I ordered a HifiBerry Digi+ Pro and put it together with a Raspberry Pi 3B. Quickly found out that it was a better source than my Android USB player, and just as convenient. Added an iFi 5V iPower supply. Then actually soldered the board to supply power directly to the HifiBerry Digi+ Pro as described in

Why use a Raspberry Pi when other equipment will stream? Well, for me, I have an XBOX in the living room hooked up to a DAC, but the XBOX won't play FLAC (and probably not with the quality I desire). So that was one of the drivers for me. Now I have a RPi hooked up in parallel with the XBOX to the same DAC. Much nicer way to listen to music. I've played with a couple different distros, but finally settled on Moode. It's working really well right now and getting frequent updates. If you decide to use the software seriously, please consider donating to the guy who maintains it -- it's a real service that he's providing to hi-rez audio enthusiasts.

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #43 of 90
Using PuTTY on Windows?
Haven't you heard of silicone caulk?
:)

Not just trolling, I'm waiting for your streamer setup to be finalised before I start on my Pi, S/Pdif hat, MoOde system.
Are there options for the touch display, I was thinking of a 3.5" one?
Final thing, if my TV, AVR, PVR, Blu-ray player all stream is there any major advantage in having a Pi streamer in the same location other than supplying a completely separate system?

Thanks

So It is actually complete, but I need to do some more posting to finish the guide. There are multiple options for the touch display for a Pi to include 3.5". However if your using MoOde on a 3.5" touch screen be forewarned; I found at times my fingers were too big and would not hit the item on the screen I intended. I think at 3.5" you might be very frustrated. Unless of course you have tiny hands.

I'm using mine where I don't have an alternative source other than my phone. But using your smartphone while multiple cables dangle from it sucks. So by using a dedicated system with a dedicated 4Gb drive (in my personal case) I can turn on one switch (isobar) that turns on my RPi, JOtunhiem, Mimby and listen to high res ALAC files. In my case I've ripped or downloaded my entire collection in ALAC so my options are somewhat limited for what I can play them on.

What kind of "streaming" do you have in mind?

Aug 14, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #44 of 90
... What kind of "streaming" do you have in mind?
Thanks for your reply,
I will be streaming from NAS and probably have a parallel system to my lounge room TV AVR bookshelf stereo speakers set-up feeding a stereo DAC, Amp and the floorstanders I'm still building.

Aug 25, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #45 of 90

Thanks

The reasons I use it are:
1. (Most Important) My wife likes having one in every room with a music system(all of them). There is a single sever in the basement and centralizes the Music library/Favorites/Playlists, etc. There is a single app that controls all of it(Squeezer or iPeng). You can synchronize the players to play the exact same thing at the same time(Laundry Room, Office, Bedroom, etc.). So, when you are moving from room to room, the music goes with you. With outdoor WiFi antennas, someone like @Paladin79 could run it in his firepit without fiddling with USB flash drives.
2. It sounds better as a source than an Esoteric K03 SACD player when using HiFiBerry Digi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back