Guidance on IEM's
Oct 11, 2010 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

joeybutts

New Head-Fier
Hey gang!  Been a bit of a lurker on the board and used it previously for my first dabble into more quality IEM's (they were Senn CX300 II's
tongue.gif
).  Well, I enjoyed them very much but the cable frayed on one channel inside the jacket at the plug
frown.gif
. Oh well.  I always look at equipment dying/failing/terminating as a justifiable reason to upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

I still don't know enough about IEM's and don't have the funds to just toss on a pair and guess and check for a while as I am a big HT and 12V guy and have enough of those projects at the moment.  So I was hoping you guys could develop a hypothesis on what would be a good pair to dump some coin on.

I don't mind spending $50, but am willing to spend up to about $200.  

Some things I would like from them -

Replaceable cables.
Not a J format cable.
A warm low end.
slightly sparkly top end.
Clean balanced mid range.

Let me know if you need any more info to help me out with a decision!  Thanks again!

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks Marcus!  So you are suggesting what you think others will suggest? 
tongue.gif

Are those the Panasonics?

My budget is capped at $200, but if there is something comparable at a lower price I'll pick them up (just saying I don't NEED to buy a name....long as they perform that's all that matters....)

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #6 of 8
Yeah, pretty much, i've used quite a few iem's in that range although i wouldn't recommend a lot of them. If you want some direct recommendations, etymotic hf5 is good if you don't mind bass-lite earphones, beyerdynamic dtx100 is my favourite under $200, they are a bit more balanced than the hf5, Sleek sa1 is built like a tank and looks good but if you aren't bothered about looks then look elsewhere, if you want waterproof (odd i know but makes so much sense in practise) then h2o surge mini pro are quite good. Most of the others i've used have been cheaper so are not as good.

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 8
yup, that price range with replaceable cables pretty much narrows it down to the panasonics.

btw, my first decent pair of IEM's were also the CX300II's. i now use a pair of Brainwavz M2's which i am really REALLY enjoying.

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #8 of 8
Looks like I'll give the HJE900's a go! 

As far as tips go, are there any you guys recommend with the HJE900's?  The Senn's tips I was right between the small and medium size and neither were very solid in my ear. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back